CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Official SoCal tint thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 11:18 AM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to recommend SD Tint off University in La Mesa. Drew does an awesome job there is the work is very professional, looks almost like factory tint. I've had my fronts and windshield done there on my GX and it looks way better than other spots I've taken my rides to in the past.

He also has another location up in Sorrento Valley.

Oh yeah....this is in San Diego County!
Old 10-14-11, 12:01 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
very good information in this thread! i've read on other threads about windshield tinting here in socal. i've also heard about clear tint on windshield. does it exist?

i really want the windshield filmed to block UV and such, it doesn't have to have a tint to it at all. what are my options?
plenty of film manufacturers are now making films that are legal for front doors in CA. you will need an 80% film. the better ones are ceramic technology and are blocking around 40something % heat. thats almost as much heat blockage as standard limo films. however it can get pretty pricey, therefore most shops wont carry it.

call around and ask for a ceramic film specifically for fronts and windshields. just off hand ill list the companies that make some>
llumar air80
3M ceramic or 3M crystalline
huper ceramic
suntek carbonXP
solargard ultra

Last edited by VIPtint; 10-18-11 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 01:07 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

does anyone have 45% or 50% tint on a black IS250 with black interior? I'm presuming that will be sort of light during the day but dark enough towards night because of the dark interior and dark car?
Old 10-17-11, 02:21 PM
wsMB
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPtint
suntek (very new film)
i have this car on my car 18% around and 35% on the windshield. the heat blockage feels up to par with huper optik and you cant see in my car! *course when i go into underground parking lots i gotta roll my windows down or my sunroof back*
Old 10-17-11, 03:58 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g2bme
does anyone have 45% or 50% tint on a black IS250 with black interior? I'm presuming that will be sort of light during the day but dark enough towards night because of the dark interior and dark car?
i've done 40% all around on a black/black A4. i tried 40% because previously i had 30% and 35% on black interiors and felt that it was a little too dark for my taste. 40% was just about right.

i haven't tried 45 or 50, but when i saw a sample of 50 it almost looked like nothing was there. and when they are super light, i start to question what i am even paying for, since a good tint job can be $300+

below are some pics. obviously it depends on the background, but you can see that from most angles it's a pretty moderate level of darkness

Old 10-17-11, 04:01 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

p.s. the film was greystone, i think made by Johnson? can't remember the exact name
Old 10-18-11, 09:24 AM
ChocoSpidr
Driver School Candidate

I'd be very careful putting "ceramic" film on a windshield. Ceramic film does perform well when heat shrunk, and most windshields have a good curve to them. Cramic films get a problem called ghosting where certain lighting conditions will cause it to look like ghost flames are dancing on the glass.. not safe on a windshield.. I would recommend 3M Crystalline first, it's a spectrally selective film, not ceramic. It easily gets the best heat rejection and comes in 70% and 90% vlt's. Both safe on windshields. Llumar air 80 is another good option, but the heat rejection doesn't match Crystalline and there will be a little blue color on the glass after it's installed.
Old 10-18-11, 01:51 PM
User 82421
Driver

I would recommend Impex Motorsports at Temple City, right at the corner of Temple City Blvd and Valley Blvd. They use SolarGuard film for tint and Ben in the shop has 15 years of experience on tint and clear bra, I think is good to try. =)
Old 10-18-11, 02:05 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wsMB
i have this car on my car 18% around and 35% on the windshield. the heat blockage feels up to par with huper optik and you cant see in my car! *course when i go into underground parking lots i gotta roll my windows down or my sunroof back*
CXP (carbonXP) was the one that i meant was new. suntek has been around for a while. CXP is their new best film
Old 10-18-11, 02:06 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by g2bme
my car is black on black but not an IS. i think i have pics on my profile
i did it in 50 for the protection, and look, wasnt interested in performance
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gar...7-VIPtint.html
Old 10-18-11, 04:18 PM
wsMB
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPtint
CXP (carbonXP) was the one that i meant was new. suntek has been around for a while. CXP is their new best film
yah i the new carbon one right? i just got this one on my isf in june the 2nd day i got it. got some friends at STM. anyone in the midcity,downtown or koreatown area should check them out. there located on washington and arlington southeast corner. they carry huper optik and suntek and the usual madico and stuff too.
Old 11-03-11, 07:53 AM
erknjerk78
Driver

Originally Posted by LifeEnjoyr
I'd have to recommend SD Tint off University in La Mesa. Drew does an awesome job there is the work is very professional, looks almost like factory tint. I've had my fronts and windshield done there on my GX and it looks way better than other spots I've taken my rides to in the past.

He also has another location up in Sorrento Valley.

Oh yeah....this is in San Diego County!
I concur! Drew is a solid dude and his work is amazing! He did my 2GS, my homeboy's 3GS, and I plan on taking my '07 XC90 in as well.
Old 12-02-11, 11:58 AM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by erknjerk78
I concur! Drew is a solid dude and his work is amazing! He did my 2GS, my homeboy's 3GS, and I plan on taking my '07 XC90 in as well.
How much was the price?
Old 12-04-11, 08:38 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

My F is ready for some tint, can anyone recommend someone who will drive to Huntington Beach and tint the car in my garage?
Old 12-18-11, 06:40 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Anyone carry Huper 70 still?

Quick Reply: Official SoCal tint thread