CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Vehicle registration renewal :-/

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 09:49 PM
dmb2427
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow this is unbeleivable PA only charges $36/year. Im gonna keep my car registered in PA as long as i can while i live in CA.
Old 12-14-09, 10:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

its not even going up by a little bit. seemingly auto insurance/renewal is a steeper increase from previous years. for older cars (equal or greater than 5 years), the renewal probably wont see that big a change. but for newer cars that have greater requirements, of course the renewal rate will rise. but it will all level off at some point, hopefully.
Old 12-14-09, 10:44 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is 65$ i only bought my car for "$500" hahahaha...they increased fees on new vehicles or newer. Ca is trying to make that paper. just like the courts, fix it tix use to be a 10$ "transaction fee" now its like 25$ here in SD.
Old 12-15-09, 12:21 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

paid last year $300 and i paid last week $370...it sux..
Old 12-15-09, 12:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Come on guys, this shouldn't have been a surprise. You all had fair warning earlier this year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...alculator.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4385040-post15.html

Originally Posted by lx470man
have any of you gotten your renewal registration? just wondering how much your renewal cost? since aronold is hiking up the damn registration with taxes,yeaa thanks arnold.

mine is about $430 ahh i dont want to be suprised when mine comes in around oct.

so whats the damage?
It really does count to read it, especially from the source.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faq_vlf.htm

Originally Posted by CA DMV
Vehicle License Fee (VLF) Increase Effective May 19, 2009

Online Calculator Will Determine New Vehicle License Fee Due on Vehicle Registration Renewals

New legislation authorizes the Department of Motor Vehicles to increase the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) from 0.65 percent to 1.15 percent when registration fees are due on or after May 19, 2009 for:

* Automobiles
* Commercial vehicles with a declared gross operating weight under 10,001 pounds
* Motorcycles
* Trailer coaches

Vehicle License Fee (VLF) Increase FAQs

Q What is Vehicle License Fee (VLF) and how is the amount determined?
A The VLF was established by the Legislature in 1935 in lieu of a property tax on vehicles. The formula for VLF assessment established by the Legislature is based upon the purchase price of the vehicle or the value of the vehicle when acquired. The VLF decreases with each renewal for the first 11 years. The VLF is part of the total fees due upon initial and annual vehicle registration renewal. This amount will temporarily increase to 1.15 percent for most vehicles effective May 19, 2009.

Q Where does the money go?
A The DMV returns almost all vehicle license fee revenue to the cities and counties. For more details on how your VLF money is used, contact your local city or county government officials.
The VLF revenue of 0.65 percent will continue to be distributed to cities and counties and deposited into the Local Revenue Account and Motor Vehicle License Fee Account in the Transportation Tax Fund. The VLF increase of 0.50 percent will be allocated as follows:

* 0.35 percent to the General Fund
* 0.15 percent transferred to the Local Safety and Protection Account established in the Transportation Tax Fund.

Q Why is the vehicle license fee (VLF) increasing?
A The VLF increase is part of the budget plan designed to reduce California’s $42 billion deficit. The new budget includes spending reductions, revenue increases, economic stimulus, and government efficiency.

Q How much is the VLF increase?
A The current VLF rate is 0.65 percent and will increase to 1.15 percent for most vehicles, an increase of 0.5 percent.

Q When does the increase go into effect?
A The increase does not apply to fees which become due prior to May 19, 2009, whether for original registration or renewal, regardless of when the fees are paid.

Q Which vehicles are affected by the change?
A Most vehicles with fees due on or after May 19, 2009, are subject to the VLF increase. This includes automobiles; commercial vehicles with a declared gross operating weight under 10,001 pounds, motorcycles, and trailer coaches.

Q Which vehicles are exempt from the increase?
A Commercial vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight or a combined gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more, vehicles that are exempt from paying vehicle license fees, trailers or semi-trailers in the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program.

Q Can I pay my fees early to avoid the increase?
A No. The increase is based on the vehicle registration expiration date. Affected vehicles with a fee due date of May 19, 2009, or later will pay the increase regardless of when payment is received.

Q How long does the increase last?
A The increase will be through June 30, 2011, but may be extended to
June 30, 2013.

Q What is the minimum/maximum amount that may be charged for VLF?
A The minimum amount of VLF for any vehicle is one dollar ($1). There is no maximum; the VLF is based on the value of the vehicle.

Q Can I make payments?
A No. All registration fees must be paid in full prior to the expiration date to avoid penalty.

Q Can I pay with a credit card?
A Yes, if your billing notice indicates you are eligible to renew your registration via the Internet (www.dmv.ca.gov) or through DMV’s Automated Voice Recognition service by calling 1-800-921-1117 you can pay by credit card. Credit cards are not accepted at your local field office.

Q What can I do if I cannot afford to pay the registration fees?
A The law requires all fees to be paid before the vehicle is driven, moved, or left standing on a public highway or in a public off-street parking facility (California Vehicle Code §4000). If the vehicle is to be removed from the road, and be eligible for a planned non operation (PNO) the owner must file a PNO with DMV on or before the vehicle expiration date to avoid penalties.

Q What if I did not receive a billing notice, how do I calculate the new VLF?
A You may use the department’s Online Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator available at www.dmv.ca.gov, and click on the More Online Services link to determine the vehicle registration renewal fees due.

Q How can I determine the amount of VLF due for my vehicle?
A The increase is approximately $5.00 per $1000 in vehicle value. For example, a vehicle valued at $5,000 would see an increase of approximately $25.00. For a more precise calculation, please visit the Online Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator available at www.dmv.ca.gov, and click on the More Online Services link.
Old 12-15-09, 01:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Unless you are paying this...

You all have nothing to whine about. This is what I recently paid for my 09 ISF.

Tax increase, rate hikes...inflation. It's part of the game folks. The more expensive your car is, the more your VLF will be. The older your car is, the less you are affected. Imagine what LS460 or LS600hL owners are having to pay. You gotta pay to play.
Old 12-15-09, 01:19 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Unless you are paying this...
You all have nothing to whine about. This is what I recently paid for my 09 ISF.
I'll match you on the IS F and raise you two grand for the LX and a Cayman S!

Old 12-15-09, 01:29 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

699? ouch! I gotta pay 495 or something like that for my 09 IS350 due next month..
Old 12-15-09, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
I'll match you on the IS F and raise you two grand for the LX and a Cayman S!

hahaha love that

yeah, i see no big deal on this. i mean, reg fee is a % of the cost of your car (and what it's worth). if you can afford the car, then the reg fee shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 12-15-09, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup. Registration fee is a walk in the park compared to insurance
Old 12-15-09, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yup. Registration fee is a walk in the park compared to insurance
hahhaa for your car of course for mine, annual insurance and reg fee actually about the same
Old 12-15-09, 12:03 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

mine was a little over 300 last year i think? thats some JDM Visors or an extra car payment or front lip(rep) or spoiler or lots of stuff :'( waiting for this current year's bill
Old 12-15-09, 04:38 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I run dealer plates, so no reg fees at all!
Old 12-15-09, 04:57 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

it is also worth noting that its not just the value of the vehicle. its the "stigma" that goes with whoever is the owner. for instance, a 19 yr old male driving a subaru wrx sti will have an approximate insurance quote to that of a 28 yr old female driving a lexus IS F. simply put, women are historically more conservative drivers than males, and teens are at the peak of the insurance coverage, seeing as how the majority of them are starting to learn to drive the roads and are more apt to get into auto accidents. sure the VLF has little to do with this, if any, but those who want expensive rides must suffer the consequences, and this includes registration and insurance.

i feel for you flipside909. got my IS F renewal back in march of this year. though it was before the change of rate hike of may 19th, there was a considerable change in my renewal. and being that i'm still quite young, it bit me hard! the mods will just have to take a backseat for now...
Old 12-15-09, 09:23 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was like 450, but im cool with that cause my insurance is alsmot 4k, so 450 doesnt hurt that bad.

Quick Reply: Vehicle registration renewal :-/