CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Any experiences with DTM autobody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 09:05 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After getting my car repainted at dtm autobody, i noticed a lot of swirls on the finish (which means they over-buffed it or was not careful enough). I took my car back for the first time to have it detailed, only to have them tell me that paint is too fresh and they cannot touch it. 3 months went by and i took my car back again, and this time they rushed the job, and blamed it on SEMA. I got the car back with even more swirls and David told me to bring it back again. I simply didn't want to waste more time with them and just took losses on my end.

cliff notes: They'll do good work if you pay them a lot of money. They will promise you work of the "a lot of money" if you only come in with half of that, and end up with a half-assed car.
Old 12-08-09, 09:58 PM
fishnfool
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No body work here. But, I had my coilovers installed by DTM. The mechanic did a good job installing them. BUT, he put three decent sized scratches in my wheels. When I pointed it out to him, he said that they were already there. Definitely not true, I inspect my car everytime before I have someone work on it. Hey, we're all human and we mess up. If he would have just owned up to it, I would have been disappointed, but ok. Honesty and integrity go a long way and he had neither. Also, when he was done installing the coilovers, my tires were literally sitting on my fender linings. He expected me to drive off like that I asked him to raise it so I could drive it home. Not the worst experience, but I definitely will not be going back there.

Last edited by fishnfool; 12-08-09 at 09:59 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 12-08-09, 10:20 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvdd525
yeah that does sound overpriced but Im pretty sure that it was an assumption that it was a full kit being painted not just sides and rear.

you should give them a call again and tell them that you're from Clublexus im pretty sure they will hook you up.
I doubt that was an assumption, i was so shocked to hear the quote he gave me. I even reconfirm to see if $1000 is to paint sideskirts and a rear lip.

I don't know if that is overprice to some of you here, but definitely too expensive for me, even if I don't work in a McDonald and drive a lexus.
Old 12-08-09, 10:25 PM
350nub
Pole Position

DTM quoted me $350 to paint the GFX kit

2020 auto body quoted me $400 to paint but $800 if you want it with primer

Autonetwork quoted me $400 to paint...

out of these 3, which one would you guys go?

Platinum VIP is already out of the question, doesn't fit my budget....
Old 12-08-09, 10:36 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest K&W autobody, they do very nice work. the only place that will match the paint on my glacier frost car
Old 12-08-09, 11:36 PM
Mr C35A1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350nub
DTM quoted me $350 to paint the GFX kit

2020 auto body quoted me $400 to paint but $800 if you want it with primer

Autonetwork quoted me $400 to paint...

out of these 3, which one would you guys go?

Platinum VIP is already out of the question, doesn't fit my budget....
Sorry to hear Platinum VIP doesn't fit your budget

I can't really choose the next best bet of these three shops, but I can definitely tell you 2020 Auto Body does good work. My friend's 97 NSX's front bumper was mangled from rock chips. He went to 2020 and got it done there. Customer service is great, and they did a perfect job of matching the paint. A few of my other friends have recommended them a year ago to me too, when I was involved in an accident. I'd go to 2020 Auto Body Tech.

If you're willing to spend the time, you can drop by each of the shops and take a look at how they handle things, and check out the work they do. That'd probably give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M1 is just like JT Autobody. Anyone remember JT? I'm sure some people remember them. The more greens you pay, the better the work. Period.

2020 Autobody is good, they were one of the "go to" shops back in the days. But they are slow.

Auto Network is where I would go for GOOD work for a GOOD price. I got many parts painted there.

K&W in Walnut is also good.

I would also recommend C&C Collisions in Pasadena, but they might be outta the "budget".
Old 12-11-09, 11:17 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

just stopped by platinum VIP today.. awesome place =O ... Kennedy showed me the type of work needed to fix crashed cars.. awesome quality of work!
Old 12-13-09, 03:33 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vwynn
hmm what about mobworks?
Vince, I got my fenders shaved there.The guy's work was pretty good. Can't say anything on other aspects, but overall I think the place is pretty decent.
Old 04-09-11, 10:14 AM
Customer
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down the worst experience with DTM Auto Body

I have the worst experience with DTM Auto Body. Poor communication and services, and broken promises.

I would never go back. I would not recommend anyone to go.

As a customer, I feel very disappointed and troublesome about the whole process.
They did not do whatever they said and whatever they said were all broken promises.
Old 04-10-11, 04:19 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

20/20 gets my vote. Dtm does horrible work if you know anything about paint. Platinum's work looks good but no personal experience with them.
Old 04-10-11, 07:13 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Customer

I have the worst experience with DTM Auto Body. Poor communication and services, and broken promises.

I would never go back. I would not recommend anyone to go.

As a customer, I feel very disappointed and troublesome about the whole process.
They did not do whatever they said and whatever they said were all broken promises.
His #1 post.... LOL
Old 04-10-11, 07:21 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i guess he hates dtm that much. i would do the same if some shop messed up my car.
Old 04-11-11, 02:09 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't recommend M1 either. Bad customer service and agree with everybody, once they got your cash they don't care.
Old 04-11-11, 03:06 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Pay more to get it done right, bring it to Platinum VIP.

Haven't had any personal experiences but I've seen QUALITY work over and over again.

Quick Reply: Any experiences with DTM autobody?