CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

got pulled over today :D

Old 09-13-09, 08:29 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However in CA you're allowed to tint the rears as dark as you want correct?
Old 09-13-09, 08:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
I guess i have mixed emotions about this, yes modded cars do attract more attention, no more than 5 days after i put my wheels on & coils i got a fix it ticket for my tint..But when it was stock i past cops all the time never bothered me..Yes it does give them a reason to check us, but why can't we just do stuff to our cars & not be bothered if we aren't doing anything against the law then leave us alone...I see way more stupid people everyday in stock cars breaking all kinds of laws but hey they are stock so ahhhh we will let them slide...Got mods well we are just gonna pull you over cuz you must be bad...I havn't gotten a ticket in 20yrs...& the ones i did get were in NY when i was growing up...Now all us Cali guys just be thankful you don't live in upstate NY(Anything north of yonkers NY) you think cops are bad here, dude you would be pulled over everyday there...Inspection on cars IS WAY MORE TUFF....single light out, pulled over, license plate light out,pulled over,crack in a light, pulled over any little thing they see your getting pulled over...Since i have been in Cali i laugh cuz if i were in NY i would have been pulled over everyday & twice on sunday..
Cops don't normally stop people unless something is wrong. For example, tint is not illegal except some states when it is too dark to see inside the car. Noise ordinances are in almost every states.
In my experience, cops just want you to respect them. If you're watching the road and notice a cop, slowing down, turning down your music and sitting upstraight will give you a good chance of not being stopped. If you are stopped, being respectful gives you a good chance of getting off.
I was stopped for speeding Friday. Usually I'm careful but I didn't look ahead as usual. I rode up on the cop at 65mph in a 45mph zone approaching a school zone. When he stopped me he said something stupid where many of us would have been pissed.
Instead, I simply replied that I was wrong and knew better than to speed. Dude gave me a good speech and let me go.
Yes, some cops are jerks and could have ticketed me but I have discovered that if you give them their respect, your chances of getting off are very good. I ain't complaining about being stopped, I was speeding. I'm just happy it was a cool guy that stopped me. I'm going to be more careful, too.

Last edited by Ice350; 09-13-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-13-09, 09:44 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
Cops don't normally stop people unless something is wrong. For example, tint is not illegal except some states when it is too dark to see inside the car. Noise ordinances are in almost every states.
In my experience, cops just want you to respect them. If you're watching the road and notice a cop, slowing down, turning down your music and sitting upstraight will give you a good chance of not being stopped. If you are stopped, being respectful gives you a good chance of getting off.
I was stopped for speeding Friday. Usually I'm careful but I didn't look ahead as usual. I rode up on the cop at 65mph in a 45mph zone approaching a school zone. When he stopped me he said something stupid where many of us would have been pissed.
Instead, I simply replied that I was wrong and knew better than to speed. Dude gave me a good speech and let me go.
Yes, some cops are jerks and could have ticketed me but I have discovered that if you give them their respect, your chances of getting off are very good. I ain't complaining about being stopped, I was speeding. I'm just happy it was a cool guy that stopped me. I'm going to be more careful, too.
Exactly they are people too after all. And honestly think from their position with out bias and scary enough sometimes you have to agree with them.

Tint for rear windows in cali is that you can have it any darkness even blacked out as long as you have both side view mirrors however I don't recommend it I've seen customers cars that dark and its such a pain to back up in reverse and stuff also cops don't take to kindly when they have hard time shining their lights in it so if you get pulled over you may end up standing or sitting on the curb for a stupid fix it ticket... I'd leave it at about 45%

Evonam thank you for your input and words of advise I apologize that it got this far out of hand.

Pingu all I'm going to say is this you need more growing up to do and have way more to experience in your life to understand what I've said. You can take this grain of salt and digest it anyway you like.
Old 09-13-09, 09:51 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know what you are talking about. i hate getting pulled over for tint and stuff like that. but to keep the streets safer it is best done this way. its annoying to have it happen. but it is the way things have to be done to make sure that my area doesnt have break ins and fatalities 24/7. the only question i have to you, in my area when a teen gets pulled over any time after about 10pm i see one kid on the curb one officer searching the car and 4 officers standing next to the kid talking and all their cars lined up. is this because it would be a safety precaution for the officer searching or is it because it is a slower night in the area and they are just bs'n to kill a little time. ive always wanted to know because i see it 2-3 times a week and it cracks me up wondering what the kid did.

Originally Posted by Evonam
Ok guys, I'm just going to put my input into this and you take it for what it's worth. All of you have valid points on what are your legal rights. Yes I need probable cause to search a vehicle. Yes you do not have to let me search your vehicle if you do not want me to if I do not have that probable cause. All this comes down to MY articulation as a police officer. Bottom line is this, probable cause and reasonable suspicion are all based on what I as an officer can articulate. You don't have to let me search your car, but your attitude and demeanor can mean the difference between a simple warning to a list of fix it tickets so long that it makes you want to throw up.

I pull you over for tinted windows. That is enough reason for me to pull you out of your car and have you stand on the sidewalk. My articulation, due to the fact that I cannot see inside of the vehicle and for my safety and the safety of the occupants of the vehicle, I conducted an investigative stop in which I had to remove all of the occupants of the vehicle. See how that works?

If you get pulled out of the car and put into the backseat and the officers are going through your car without telling you the reason why, you might have matched a suspect description from a crime that was committed before you got pulled over. In your mind, you were just being pulled over. In the officer's mind, they have a potential suspect in custody and they are conducting their investigation. There are so many ways that a certain situation can play out and no two situations are the same. I leave you with this. If you have nothing to hide, why wouldn't you be anything but nice to me? Reasonable suspicion, check, probable cause, let me shine my flashlight around in the car a little bit more...=)
Old 09-13-09, 06:06 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
However in CA you're allowed to tint the rears as dark as you want correct?
Yes you can.
Old 09-14-09, 12:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

that has happened to me before too. got pulled over at 1230am by a cop. cop asked me if i knew that it was illegal to not have a front plate, i said "yep i know" cop asks me why i dont have it there, i say "doesnt look good with it there". cop asks me if i knew that it was illegal to tint front windows i said, yea i know. anyways, cop gives me a fix it ticket for front plate then lets me go for everything else.....back then my car was really low too. ah well.....
Old 09-14-09, 12:57 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
Tell that to the last cop that pulled my friend over and since Im on probation (riding shotgun) and forgot my wallet and didnt have a california ID but had a school id with a picture I spent an hour and a half hand cuffed and stuffed in the back of a cop car in front of the busiest 7-11 I have EVER seen

edit: we got pulled over for modified exhaust
Sorry I forgot about this thread. But inregard to my 15 minute comment is that a officer cant hold you more than 15 minute if you have not commited a violation. This was talked about in my law class three weeks ago. It is simpily pull over for nothing. It is a rare case but sometime it happen. For example a few year back in Westminster a police car pull up to my friend car at a red light and stright up mad dogg us. (No joke) Next thing you know after we made a left the patrol car went flying across lanes to get to us. My friend end up getting a fixing ticket for haveing a small toy hanging on his rear view mirror. WTF? For the recorde one of our friend in the car was in the process of graduateing from police academy. He thought it was all bs that our buddy got a fixing ticket cuz the officer was **** that he got nothing on us.

So to the OP situation well it is the obvious why you got pull over. You just got really lucky.

I also mentoin about the search issue.....well cops cant search your car for nothing if you say no that should be that. Includeing a pat down. They cant go in your pocket either. You are protected by the Fourth Amendment but unless it is open in plain site obvious like your plate, tint, exhaust, weaponds and drugs. That is on you. Sorry I did not clarfity it more in my 1st post.

windex: bro it appear you already got a rep with the law and they just love you man Stay quiet and go with the flow.
Old 09-14-09, 09:49 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm is it just me or have cops stopped pulling you over just for mods in San Gabriel?

Eric and I pass cops all the time and they don't seem to care anymore. And there's a lot of modded cars in SG! I remember getting pulled over in the integra alllll the time for being too low, no front plate, etc. Not anymore ...
Old 09-14-09, 11:27 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i remember back in the 90's when cops would pull you over just for having clear turn signals, and that was virtually every PD in so cal.
Old 09-14-09, 08:14 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Hmmm is it just me or have cops stopped pulling you over just for mods in San Gabriel?

Eric and I pass cops all the time and they don't seem to care anymore. And there's a lot of modded cars in SG! I remember getting pulled over in the integra alllll the time for being too low, no front plate, etc. Not anymore ...
Go ahead and tint those windows........
Old 09-14-09, 10:37 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had this vehicle for no more than 4 months and have been stopped 4 times.
i think its just the san gabriel valley though :/
Old 09-14-09, 11:17 PM
omfgitzada
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dood! i was pulled over today in chino hills on the 71 too...going 80 =(
Old 09-15-09, 07:04 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Go ahead and tint those windows........
lol first things first, fenders need to be rolled.
Old 09-15-09, 09:01 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I see the OC sherriff pretty frequently, but they seem to just ignore me once they see a white guy in his, ahem, late 30s.
Old 09-15-09, 10:57 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

you know, i think age plays a big part in what cops do to you. when i was younger and my car was modified, cops would always bug me about everything. now if i get pulled over, well its only happened once since i got the IS, cops seem cool, even though my car is pretty heavily modified.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got pulled over today :D