CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Car got towed for sitting, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 09:18 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car got towed for sitting, advice?

So I have an old car thats been sitting on the side of my house, with current registration, but not running. Long story short, she was towed away this morning after sitting for a few there for a few months.

Can they just tow a car thats been sitting there? I thought they could only do that if the car did not have current registration?

Car is a 1993 Montero, and was on the street to the side of my house.

I dont know if ill even bother to recover it, because its proably not worth the time or effort, but im pissed because it had some personal stuff inside, and the radio/speakers were new and good.
Old 05-29-09, 09:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car can be towed if a neighbor complains about it, especially if it is on a public road instead of a private driveway.

The neighbor could have said that it was abandoned (since it has been untouched and unmoved for months, even with up-to-date registration) on a public street. The city may have checked if the car has been unmoved after a few days/weeks. If the city finds justification that it has been "abandoned", yes, it can be towed.
Old 05-29-09, 09:35 AM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

If it was on private property then no.

On the street it's a different story. Usually the city will leave a note saying they will tow your car within 3 days if it isn't moved or probably mark your tires. Most likley someone did call to have it towed though as PhilipMSPT mentioned.
Old 05-29-09, 09:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

It depends what kind of rules your city has for street parking and over night street parking...

Some citys do not allow over night street parking with out a Permit.

If your car is registered and current on its tags and there are no rules in your city for parking limitations on a resedential street, then it should not have been towed..

Sure it wasn't stolen???
Old 05-29-09, 09:45 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah im sure it wasnt stolen, the car didnt run. And I noticed some yellow chalk on the ground, so im guessing they marked the tires and I didnt see.

They should have left me a note or something. Now im debating on if I should get it. The tranny COULD be blown, and it needs a new battery, add that to the tow costs, and its alot of time and money for a 3rd car that sits. But she was great to me when she was running.

This all started when someone stole my registration tags 3 weeks ago and I started getting no registration tickets. I got all the tickets removed with proof of registration, and some replacement stickers, so I thought I was in the clear.
Old 05-29-09, 09:52 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overnight parking on our street gets you a ticket. If you decide you want the vehicle back, call the local PD or tow yard and pick it up ASAP. Tow/storing charges can be costley.
Old 05-29-09, 10:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Overnight parking on our street gets you a ticket. If you decide you want the vehicle back, call the local PD or tow yard and pick it up ASAP. Tow/storing charges can be costley.
I agree... Everyday you leave a car at the impound.. it will cost you for sure...!!

Just watch "Parking Wars"...

Joe Z
Old 05-29-09, 11:14 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

My friend had a similar case where she bought the car and the car was towed because of previous owner's parking ticket... when she went and proved that she's the new owner, they didnt charge her a dime and she just drove away... so i'd check with that...
And yea I'd be surprised if someone just tow your car without a notice first... but anyway if its a neighbor complain you have some fxed up neighbor man...
Old 05-29-09, 11:36 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by renren7
but anyway if its a neighbor complain you have some fxed up neighbor man...
Why? The OP left a non-running clunker for MONTHS on the street with no intention of even fixing it. He was one step away from having it on cinder blocks on his front lawn. It takes up a parking spot and is a constant eyesore. Seems to me, if it was a neighbor, he was very patient to wait that long.
Old 05-29-09, 12:53 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madoka
Why? The OP left a non-running clunker for MONTHS on the street with no intention of even fixing it. He was one step away from having it on cinder blocks on his front lawn. It takes up a parking spot and is a constant eyesore. Seems to me, if it was a neighbor, he was very patient to wait that long.
lol.

And to everyone else, thanks, I just got her back, paid almost $300. Gotta love it.
Old 05-29-09, 02:40 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

haha i was about to do this to my neighbor...the car just sits there and it was collect spider webs and dead leaves under the car. but this guy was smart since he would move it up a couple of spots once a week (law states it has to be sitting for 9 consecutive days or so)

glad you got it back though haha
Old 05-29-09, 02:59 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madoka
am glad am not madoka's neighbor lol *cough* *cough* he rat u out hemogoblin *cough*
Old 05-29-09, 03:20 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

So are you going to fix it or keep it as a large paper weight?
Old 05-29-09, 08:37 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do these streets not have street sweeping?
Old 05-29-09, 09:05 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest way to solve this if you are willing to is park your DD outside and that car inside. You'll never have to worry about it again

Quick Reply: Car got towed for sitting, advice?