CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Another Victim of the Recession: Active Boardshop

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 01:12 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Another Victim of the Recession: Active Boardshop

Active Ride Shop announced today that is has filed for a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in the county of Riverside.

Industry consultant Jeff Harbaugh weighs in on what filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is and what it means for a company such as Active Ride Shop. Read his in-depth analysis HERE.

As of today, Active Ride Shop’s official Web site only lists 22 open stores under its retail locations section. Here’s the official press release:

“Mira Loma, CA, March 23rd, 2009 - Active Ride Shop today announced that it has filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court in Riverside. The company is focusing on executing a comprehensive corporate restructuring plan without interruption to business operations.

Active Ride Shop recently announced that it was taking action to address the company’s financial challenges. Alongside the strategic counsel provided by Marc Winthrop, of Wintrhop Couchot, one of Southern California’s leading bankruptcy law firms and Stephen Bell, of Phoenix Group Advisory Services, LLC, a professional financial and operational advisory firm, the company has determined that it would be in teh best interest of its stakeholders to file for reorganization protection under Chapter 11.

Operating under the protection of Chapter 11 will provide the company’s vendors with assurances that they will be paid for merchandise the company receives post-filing so the ocmpany can be sufficiently stocked for the spring selling season. The restructuring plan will position Active Ride Shop with a stronger business foundation, an imporved multi-channel distribution source for it svendors, and a more meaningful offering for its customers.

The company recognizes that, to achieve these objectives, there is a critical need to create a more efiicent operation with a reduced cost structure. As previously announced, the company has closed 8 under-performing retail locations. This week, the company took action to realign its corporate support structure alongside the smaller store base, which will include 21 retail stores as well its e-commerce storefront. The store closings and corporate workforce reductions will result in combined workforce compensation and related costs in excess of 30%. Further, as part of its restructuring efforts, the company will continue to evaluate the productivity of all assets, analyze additional cost-cutting initiatives and research strategic alternatives to maximize the value of the business.

John Wallace, chief executive officer and founder of Active Ride Shop, said “The swift and dramatic downturn in the local economy had a major impact on our business in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2008. In combination with the robust growth and expansion we experienced during the previous 24 months, this perfect storm of economic retraction left us with no other option.” He continued, “The preemptive cost cutting initiatives that we took throughout 2008 were not enough to protect our investments without filing for Chapter 11 reorganization protection.”

“We appreciate the support we have received from our vendors and suppliers during this downturn. With this support, we have every reason to believe that we will emerge from Chapter 11 witha stronger business and a more impactful market presence. Most importantly, Active Ride Shop will be restored to solid financial footing as a direct result of this support.”

“The recent work force reductions and downsizing activities have not been easy fo rthe employees of Active Ride Shop which makes us even more appreciative of their dedication and loyalty. We are especially addened at the loss of employment for many long term employees. The impact of these decisions is far reaching, and we deeply regret the effect this has on our employees and their families.

“We move forward with this reorganization with the firm knowledge that the steps we are taking will bring lasting changes to our busines and satisfaction and value to our customers,” concluded Wallace.

About Active:

Established in 1989, Active Ride Shop maintains its position among the top retailers and mail order businesses in teh action sports industry. Awarded Surf Industry (SIMA) Men’s Retailer of the Year (2008), #1 Specialty Reatiler by the Future Trade, #36 on DNR’s “top 50 most influential menswear retailers.” Active has locations throughout Southern California and delivers catalogs to action sports enthusiasts nationwide. Active Ride Shop sponsors the most elite skateboarders and snowboarders in the world, and is proud of its offering of the finest brands an hottest trends in the industry. For more information about Active Ride Shop, visit www.activerideshop.com.
http://business.transworld.net/2009/...or-chapter-11/
Old 03-25-09, 01:47 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nooooo I shop there all the time
Old 03-25-09, 02:50 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

figures. if active is having problems other retailers must be worse.
Old 03-25-09, 09:09 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

i believe the one in tustin market place just closed down. however a new one just opened up at the spectrum.
Old 03-25-09, 09:34 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

yea the one by ucla campus in westwood village was closed down last week.
Old 03-25-09, 09:49 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No!!! I need my Stussy!!!
Old 03-25-09, 10:22 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww noooo I love shopping there for 2-3 items when I do go since their prices doesnt compare to United Boardshop... =( mannnnn I like this store they got my ezekiel's
Old 03-25-09, 01:39 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lyyca
No!!! I need my Stussy!!!
Old 03-25-09, 04:46 PM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Just picked up a grip of Active clothing dirt cheap at a local skate shop. Huge price cuts!
Old 03-25-09, 06:22 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

omg omg...not active!!!!!! ...now where will i shop!?

(d@mn you, Economy! )
Old 03-25-09, 08:50 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

never had staying power in the first place.

too bad no one scooped them up, like quicksilver or someone big.
Old 03-25-09, 10:08 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Hah Quiksilver. You know how much money they are losing?
Old 03-25-09, 10:33 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

ok then nike, [or insert any brand around longer than 15 years]. they own hurley, so why not another. maybe,,, a bad investment?
Old 03-25-09, 10:35 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Guess its time to pick up some Sector 9 longboard wheels....
Old 03-25-09, 10:55 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, being part of that skate-surf subculture, I think the Nordstrom prices that they are charging for clothes are ridiculous. They fail to differentiate between rich trendy kids who can afford 30 dollar t-shirts and those that started the scene in the first place. I think one of the reason some of these brands are failing (best example is Quiksilver) is that they have been trying to hard and alienate themselves from those that are at the core of the scene. None of those high prices were around when I used to skate back about 10 years ago.

Anybody who lives in coastal Orange County knows better and buys their stuff direct at warehouse sales that goes on every other season around Costa Mesa. I have been shopping at the RVCA sales for ages and have never spent more than $12 per shirt or $10 per hat

Quick Reply: Another Victim of the Recession: Active Boardshop