CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Chevron Service on Artesia St. and Norwalk Ave.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 03:14 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chevron Service on Artesia St. and Norwalk Ave.

A couple years ago when I purchased my first SC it was having some problems and the CEL came on. My dad took it to the Chevron on Artesia and Norwalk to their service center to get it done. After charging $200 they fixed the problem and the CEL was off. Or so it seems. The car still had problems so after another mechanic looked at the car, it was determined that the guy working at Chevron had charged us $200 to take my instrument cluster out and remove the LIGHT BULB that was the CEL.

This year I got my '99 SC400. Back in the middle of February I just brought it over from CO and I needed to get it smogged. I went to a place near my house but ended up was recommended to go to that Chevron. I didn't want to but I figured whatever it was just a smog check. The guy working there was pretty cool, although kind of condescending about my car. He let me pass the visual with the SS headers I had on acting like he was doing me the biggest favor in the world. I went on my merry way.

So recently I've been smelling gas from my car. I rarely drive the car but recently I have had opportunity to take it out. I tend to drive with my windows down and every time I was just idling, the smell of gas was overwhelming. I popped the hood earlier today to find a perfect hole in the fuel line coming out the left side of the engine. All over my engine cover there was dried gasoline that was sprayed out from the damaged hose. This explained the gas and my crappy gas mileage. Anyway after getting over the fact I am EFFING lucky my engine did not catch on fire, I sealed up the hole.

One thing I should note, this car was taken care of meticulously by the previous owner. There was no reason for that rubber fuel line to go bad. It was not dry and hard or brittle, and the damage to it was too perfect to have happened from anything else. After analyzing it thoroughly, I realized the only person to have had access under my hood without my supervision ( I was standing outside the garage) was this Chevron tech guy. I have reason to believe he purposely sabotaged my car in hopes of me going back to have costly repairs done. While I had talked to him while getting the smog done, he kept telling me the car probably wouldn't pass smog and that it was *****ty, etc. My car had passed with flying colors, VERY clean emissions, so it could have been personal along with the fact I've already had a shady encounter with another mechanic.

Anyway, I don't to officially badmouth this place. Just wanted to place fair warning out there for those who have considered going to this place for any services. I also wanted to know if anyone else out there has had any personal experience with this place whether positive or negative.

I do not wish future damage to be done to any fellow car owner simply because that establishment wanted to make a few bucks.

Sidenote: Last time at EZ lube they tried the whole "your radiator and tranny fluid are low ( even though these were just replaced)" on my dad's car, but I chose to ignore it since there have already been so much coverage on that scam. At least they didn't sabotage my car.

before all nice and clean

now, faded engine cover, and leaky fuel line

Last edited by Hil; 03-21-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-21-09, 10:17 AM
john_papa
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ow damn. i think i wont be thinking to go there. scboy what is ur car look like. i think i havent seen it around cerritos? just wondering cuz im new to cl and havent really met any members
Old 03-21-09, 10:32 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by john_papa
ow damn. i think i wont be thinking to go there. scboy what is ur car look like. i think i havent seen it around cerritos? just wondering cuz im new to cl and havent really met any members
I'm not really in the area a lot due to school. It's just a stock looking '99 black SC4 with silver volks. I'll hopefully be doing stuff within the week as I have break right now Let me know if you want to meet up and work on cars or something haha, I have much to do this week
Old 03-21-09, 10:58 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

damn that really sucks hil. yeah fuel lines dont just rupture like that. especially on a car like yours. i would have driven back to the station and cracked that guy in the skull. thats an extremely dangerous thing to do. like you said, what if it had burnt to the ground.

on a side note, if your car had that ruptured line like that it wouldnt have passed smog. if theres any kind of leak like that it fails. so im definitely sure that he popped a hole in there.
Old 03-21-09, 11:09 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tularisgp
damn that really sucks hil. yeah fuel lines dont just rupture like that. especially on a car like yours. i would have driven back to the station and cracked that guy in the skull. thats an extremely dangerous thing to do. like you said, what if it had burnt to the ground.

on a side note, if your car had that ruptured line like that it wouldnt have passed smog. if theres any kind of leak like that it fails. so im definitely sure that he popped a hole in there.
Yea this guy has some real nerve. Maybe he was trying to kill me

I'm not sure how to go about this situation. I don't have evidence backing up my claim no matter how many arrows point to this guy. Any advice? For sure I will be making a complaint to Chevron
Old 03-21-09, 11:52 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

well short of putting a cam under your hood i cant really help you on the evidence part. id say report it to the bureau of automotive repair. file your complaint with chevron. dont bother with the better business bureau, those guys can suck it.
Old 03-21-09, 01:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that's terrible. another reason why i only trust a very few select individuals/service centers with my 2is.

as automotive repair/testing locations and their respective technicians must be certified (CARB, ASE, EPA, etc.), contact the certification agency and file a complaint with them regarding this repair shop. make sure you have everything properly and thoroughly documented, and explain in clear, simple logic the reason and legitimacy of your claim.

i hope your issues get resolved. keep us updated.
Old 03-21-09, 02:17 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

good thing i went to a family's friend for smog hehe
Old 03-22-09, 01:10 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One good habit you can probably pick up from me, is that whenever I go to a shop like the one you mentioned, I like to keep a close eye and physically watch what they're doing at all times. That way, if anything happens after they're done with it, It'll be alot easier to pin the blame on them.
Old 03-22-09, 09:35 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
One good habit you can probably pick up from me, is that whenever I go to a shop like the one you mentioned, I like to keep a close eye and physically watch what they're doing at all times. That way, if anything happens after they're done with it, It'll be alot easier to pin the blame on them.
that's a great habit to have, but some people have neither the time nor the convenience to do that - like in this case w/ the OP.

better off w/ a trusted and reputable shop to take care of your needs. that way, you don't have to spend that kind of time.
Old 03-22-09, 03:45 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about your misfortune Hil... my mechanic is on the corner of Norwalk and South St. if you ever need one. I've been going to him for over a decade now
Old 03-22-09, 06:19 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

If your headers arent CARB legal then you could really get him introuble for passing your car when it had them on, and for the leaking fuel line. just a thought haha
Old 03-30-09, 03:21 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geez, why would you take it to a mechanic at a GAS station though? That's pretty fcked up if he did do that, since you don't have hard evidence, you can't do anything about it. Take pictures of the car/engine BEFORE going to the mechanic. My 95 SC passes smog with flying colors, how come your 99 wouldn't?