CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Autozone stopped renting code readers... So where to go now?

Old 10-30-08, 08:41 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone stopped renting code readers... So where to go now?

My engine light came on and I need to get the codes. I went to Autozone and they said they stopped renting them out. When the hell did that happen?

Anyways I went to Kragen too and they don't have rentals. So now I don't know whats wrong with my car. Anyone know a place that still rent out these OBDii readers without paying too much? Thanks!
Old 10-30-08, 08:42 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

they stopped renting them out, but if you bring your car there they will still read it for you
Old 10-30-08, 09:22 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pepboys/Kragen/Napa
Old 10-30-08, 09:23 PM
humanoid
Driver

You can buy a cheapie code reader from any of the above mentioned auto parts stores or you can get one at Harbor Freight Tools.
Old 10-30-08, 10:44 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been to the local Autozone and Kragen and they do not lend code readers out anymore. I think they said it was because of liability issues. I heard that dealers had a hand in it because they didn't want to lose out on the 1hr of labor they charge you to read your codes.
Old 10-30-08, 10:48 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

It's because people were resetting their CEL codes and going to smog right after. If you use yours even remotely often, just buy one online. The gas you'll save every time you would have needed to go to Autozone would pay for itself.
Old 10-31-08, 01:51 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by benxd
It's because people were resetting their CEL codes and going to smog right after. If you use yours even remotely often, just buy one online. The gas you'll save every time you would have needed to go to Autozone would pay for itself.
that would only apply to pre 1996 cars as obdII cars require you to run through the monitor tests before you could smog it....go spend the cash and go get one or go pay to have it checked... it really does amazes me on how cheap some people can be though....just go buy one the tool pays for itself if your gonna spend the money go get a good one so you can view the pid's helps save time on diagnostics....
Old 10-31-08, 03:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you reset your CEL and try to smog you'll automatically get rejected.

the car has to be driven a set distance before the monitor tests complete and clear the car to even be tested.

i bought one after i couldnt borrow one any more ELMScan ftw
Old 10-31-08, 04:11 AM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

hey i bought an actron cp9175 scanner about a month ago cuz i could not borrow it from Autozone anymore...i only used it once to reset a code i got on my car due to a vaccum hose coming loose..i'm in baldwin park if anybody wants to come over and use it real quick to check any codes or reset..not planning on selling it though..u never know, they might just stop selling those soon..i'd rather have one..hit me up..i work nights so i'm available during the day
Old 10-31-08, 03:16 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cbrasian
that would only apply to pre 1996 cars as obdII cars require you to run through the monitor tests before you could smog it....go spend the cash and go get one or go pay to have it checked... it really does amazes me on how cheap some people can be though....just go buy one the tool pays for itself if your gonna spend the money go get a good one so you can view the pid's helps save time on diagnostics....
This is not something I will be using often. It was free service, so why go out and spend 100 on something you are going to use once. You should not just go out and buy an expensive specialty tool when they rent them out for FREE. It doesn't make economic sense. I just need to get the codes out to see whats wrong and if I can fix it myself then that saves money. It is not being cheap. It is being smart.

Originally Posted by SLAMDGS400
hey i bought an actron cp9175 scanner about a month ago cuz i could not borrow it from Autozone anymore...i only used it once to reset a code i got on my car due to a vaccum hose coming loose..i'm in baldwin park if anybody wants to come over and use it real quick to check any codes or reset..not planning on selling it though..u never know, they might just stop selling those soon..i'd rather have one..hit me up..i work nights so i'm available during the day
I heard Pepboys might still have them so I'll go check that out. If not, then it looks like I will have to take SLAMDGS400's offer or just buy one.
Old 10-31-08, 03:48 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

last time i went, they wouldn't do it either.... but the guy was nice enough to let me burrow it really quick outside.
but i do remember someone telling me that they dont because shops complained about it.
pepboys are usually good with that, and they scan it right there for you for free.
Old 10-31-08, 11:47 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

i'll scan your cars for free at our shop if you can come by during business hour. im located in LA.