CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

anyone help...! for those who know the law pretty well.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 01:15 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone help...! for those who know the law pretty well.

Ok guys... here's the story.
I left my old car parked in front of my house where cops usually never come, just temporarily until i find a place to park it and i got ticketed for expired tags, no front license plate, 72 hr parking in the same spot (Which was exactly 3 days btw, how lucky am i huh....) and they towed my car away.
So i got the car back the next day so i dont pay too much fees for being in the impound.
So my question is.

The car is sold to someone in Vermont. Will i have to pay the tickets that i got?
A friend of mine told me that the ticket will stay with the plate number, and once the guy re-registers the car under a different state plate, those tickets are no longer good.

What do you guys think?
I've been seeking advice and i heard the same story from a few people.
In need of expert advice or someone that has had a similar experience?
Old 09-19-08, 02:23 AM
gs eddy
Rookie

it depends on Vermonts motor vehicle laws. all tickets stay with the plate and not generally the registered owner as they cannot prove you were the one who parked illegally. Did you sell the car after u recieved the tickets? the worst case scenario is: new owner goes to register. they say he cannot until original owner pays tix. orig owner pays tix. new owner gets registration.
Old 09-19-08, 03:40 AM
anticrime
Driver School Candidate

you're gonna have to pay the tickets...they follow the R/O as well as the plate number...
Old 09-19-08, 06:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If I remember correctly here in Florida, they go straight to the driver's license of the owner on the registration at the time. I remember at least one friend who sold a car and later when he went to register a new car he bought found out somebody with his old car had gotten a parking ticket that went unpaid.
Old 09-19-08, 08:30 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

huhmmm interesting...
Im a little confused since i have a friend that interesting enough, he has never paid any ticket that was left on his windshield.
He would wait until the registration of the car expired the following year, then go back to the dmv and there would be no record of tickets, only his registration tag price for the car.
He pays for it and that's it. He does this every year, for about 7 years now...
i asked for proof, and he showed me his registration mail with all the tickets, once the tag got expired, he would just simply go back to the dmv and there would be no record or parking tickets....
Old 09-19-08, 08:53 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1. did you sell the car after the tix were issued? if so, do you have proof of such sale?
2. iirc, in CA, tix will follow the registered owner/lessee of the vehicle. whoever is listed and pays the yearly fees, is liable for that type of ticket
3. your friend: it may be similar to open cases still at the city of issuance. it's separate from DMV. since he hasnt paid the city's tix, the case remains open; but DMV isnt notified as well. therefore, if in fact your friend is/continues to do this, he very well may have warrants for his arrest issued.
Old 09-19-08, 03:51 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

If your car got towed to Frank Scottto in torrance, i thought you had to have current registration along with proof of ownership to get your car out of inpound?
Old 09-20-08, 07:36 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
1. did you sell the car after the tix were issued? if so, do you have proof of such sale?
2. iirc, in CA, tix will follow the registered owner/lessee of the vehicle. whoever is listed and pays the yearly fees, is liable for that type of ticket
3. your friend: it may be similar to open cases still at the city of issuance. it's separate from DMV. since he hasnt paid the city's tix, the case remains open; but DMV isnt notified as well. therefore, if in fact your friend is/continues to do this, he very well may have warrants for his arrest issued.
interesting enough.... he still gets pulled over at times and there is no record for him.
I mean, he has been doing this for at least 6 years, and yet, nothing.

socalsc, i just showed proof that i paid for a non op so they let me get it out....
Old 09-23-08, 07:47 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

So your schit is whack and you got your whip impounded and don't think you should have to or don't want to pay it?

Are you frickin dumb or what? Pay your dues and remember not to let your shizzle go bad again....
Old 09-23-08, 11:32 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unit74
So your schit is whack and you got your whip impounded and don't think you should have to or don't want to pay it?

Are you frickin dumb or what? Pay your dues and remember not to let your shizzle go bad again....

Who the hell are you?
You should read the first post before posting anything in this thread.
Dont call people dumb if you have no idea what they are talking about.
Crawl yourself back to your hole and stop posting useless comments on peoples threads.

kids.....
Old 09-24-08, 11:24 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Dude..... You fugged up and are now trying to weasel out of paying for you mistakes? You have tickets and think you can avoid them? You let your regs go and left it parked on a public street?

Typical "entitlement" generation ideology in full effect here......

Pay for your stupidity and quit sniveling.
Old 09-24-08, 03:33 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I must say I kind of like this Unit74 guy.
Old 09-24-08, 11:24 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unit74
Dude..... You fugged up and are now trying to weasel out of paying for you mistakes? You have tickets and think you can avoid them? You let your regs go and left it parked on a public street?

Typical "entitlement" generation ideology in full effect here......

Pay for your stupidity and quit sniveling.
what is your problem man?
Im here asking for people with some information regarding my situation and all you can do is try making this thread into a honda civic forum and call people names.
I really dont need your comments right now. You dont even know me so keep your comments to yourself. Thanks.
Old 09-25-08, 12:28 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while the situation sucks and I'm sure your not trying to really weasel your way out .... especially on a forum such as this there isn't a need to be rude or a need for senseless name calling or telling a person to stop QQing he's asking a question on what happens to the tickets.... not that he doesn't want to pay them...and avoid paying them... this is prolly the only reason i usually post only on the performance section for the sc300 forums and one reason why i been here since 2006 and have barely close to 300 posts....but anyways back to the topic ..usually the parking tickets follows the car and get sent to the registered owner ... and if the person the buyer tries to register the car the tickets will prevent him from registering the car ... ie the payment must be paid b4 registering....espcially since dmv has been working on networking the various states together now so they can rob us of every nickle and dime possible
Old 09-25-08, 10:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What is the amount of the fees?

Quick Reply: anyone help...! for those who know the law pretty well.