CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Any1 fight speeding ticket before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 11:29 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, just go into court, pay the fine, and request traffic school. Your ticket is not even that bad and your insurance premiums won't increase if you go to traffic school.
Old 08-27-08, 11:57 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah if the ticket is 144 bucks its not that bad..any1 confirm this tho?
Old 06-01-14, 09:03 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radicalrev
thanks Isaac,

i heard from a friend that if you do less than 15 mph above speed limit, the fine is about $144 and above 15 Mph is $244 or $266....

any1 can confirm?

Any1 else has success contesting their speeding ticket?
yes, $238 for going 80 @ 65 mph zone.

Last edited by tzu911; 06-02-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 09:24 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents, no need to go to court. Just go online and pay the fine, request traffic school, and take that online as well. Online traffic school will take a few hours to complete. If you take traffic school on a walk in class you will be there all day.
Old 06-02-14, 05:32 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

For all those trying to use the distance math defense, it's categorized under "Radar Beam Spread."
Note the parameter: it's for violations of 10mph or less in medium to heavy traffic.
Old 06-03-14, 04:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

old thread and laws change but i'll contribute. for every 10mph over the speed limit, the fine gets higher. the cop really "do you a favor" when they write 84 in a 65 when you were really going faster.

i always fight my tickets via trial by written declaration. by doing so there is a chance the cop will not do his declaration and i win by default. even if i loose i can still go to court and pay the fines and take traffic school like normal. i'll take any chance i can get, though i've won just as much as i lost.
Old 06-04-14, 10:14 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Downfall75
just postpone it over and over again until the memory becomes fuzzy in the cops mind.
It worked for my wife..
Old 06-20-14, 12:39 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

My lawyer got a ticket for going 82mph on the highway. He said he just pays these things because there is nothing you do can. The chances of winning are slim.
Old 06-21-14, 06:01 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Do a trial by declaration after you postponed it. When u get pulled over and u do get a ticket, if you happen to be in another city, you can request that your court hearing be transfer or closer to your location, matter fact in your own city. That way it gets sent to the appropriate courthouse when the officer isn't located. U postpone it / ask for an extension. Do a trial by declaration (pay up the fine) wait for a decision and if it's found not guilty, u get your refund. Worked for me, when The budget for CA was tight too, everyone was telling me I wouldn't get it waived because CA needs the money. Lo and behold I fought and I won.

If in case u are found guilty u can appeal to do a trial by judge. If the cop fails to show to the trial it's waived and u get ur money back.

It's a lot of work and time, but hey, no points and no out of pocket expenses that aren't reimbursed
Old 07-02-14, 02:17 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

^^ wat i did last time i got a ticket!
Old 07-04-14, 03:06 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dudes and dudettes even if the ticket is only 100-200$ and ur going to pay it why not just try and fight it ? 50/50 chance u win by just submitting I'm not guilty on a paper lol

I always fight my tickets and always had good outcomes one for even going 110mph (as a young adult, don't ask)
Old 07-11-14, 10:34 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by g2bme
Do a trial by declaration after you postponed it. When u get pulled over and u do get a ticket, if you happen to be in another city, you can request that your court hearing be transfer or closer to your location, matter fact in your own city. That way it gets sent to the appropriate courthouse when the officer isn't located. U postpone it / ask for an extension. Do a trial by declaration (pay up the fine) wait for a decision and if it's found not guilty, u get your refund. Worked for me, when The budget for CA was tight too, everyone was telling me I wouldn't get it waived because CA needs the money. Lo and behold I fought and I won.

If in case u are found guilty u can appeal to do a trial by judge. If the cop fails to show to the trial it's waived and u get ur money back.

It's a lot of work and time, but hey, no points and no out of pocket expenses that aren't reimbursed
does this apply to running a red light? pretty sure i didnt that's why i want to fight it.

for running a red light, i can either:

1. plead not guilty - pay fine and request court trial date or trial by written declaration.

2. appear in court

do i go with option 1, pay fine and request trial by written declaration? or go with option 2 and just postpone the court date and change court to my city?
Old 07-17-14, 04:43 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Be careful when doing a Trial by Declaration. If you chose this option, all you need to do is write "I am not guilty". Any other statement will result in you losing the Trial by Declaration. If you write "I was going over the speed limit b/c I was going with the flow of traffic" you just admitted guilt to speeding. Pretty much anything you try to write in the Trial by Declaration will admit guilt except writing "I am not guilty". For the Trial by Declaration, the cop also has to do their part and fill out paperwork. If the cop doesn't do their paperwork, you will automatically win. It's just like when they don't show up in court. If you chose to fight the ticket in court, call to change the date that the cop put on your ticket. Usually a cop will assign the date that they are scheduled to be in court. If you get that date changed, it could help your chances of them not showing up.
Old 07-18-14, 10:00 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the input! but i'm assuming in the declaration you do have to make valid points explaining why you think you're not guilty to try and convince the judge; thus simply put "i'm not guilty" shouldn't do you any good
Old 08-29-14, 08:29 PM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dorkacho
thanks for the input! but i'm assuming in the declaration you do have to make valid points explaining why you think you're not guilty to try and convince the judge; thus simply put "i'm not guilty" shouldn't do you any good
I think what he really means is that you shouldn't put anything that would incriminate yourself. For example, saying you're going with the flow of traffic does not mean you should be speeding.

Quick Reply: Any1 fight speeding ticket before?