CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

man..first ticket!! I can't believe this..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 11:34 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually if you decide to contest the ticket, the officers usually dont show up because they do not get paid to show up to court, the day you decide to fight it.
My suggestion is call the county police station, and ask them when the officer is on vacation, or what his days off are. They usually tell you when. Schedule your day to contest the ticket then, most likely he wont show up on his vacation day. When he doesn't come, your ticket gets automatically dropped.

If he does, tell the judge that you were over the white line when it turned yellow, by law you are allowed to complete your turn during such circumstance.

good luck!
Old 06-26-08, 12:08 AM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

believe me, fight the ticket the written way. Most of the time, you will win because lazy pigs don't wanna respond. so basically, you guys go back and forth and at one point, the cop will not remember, or be too lazy to respond. all my friends do it downn here and ALWAYS WIN! hey, doesn't hurt to try right?
Old 06-26-08, 12:47 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

^that's what I was planning on doing..trial by letter
but I want to make sure that I get to go to the traffic school
if I loose the trial..
Old 06-26-08, 10:10 AM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

if you do, doubt you will...but they will give you your options on traffic school and crap. but yeah, fight it in the mail and you will win. good luck!
Old 06-26-08, 11:53 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well. here is my view on this. don't write to thee court...because they'll just say denied.

2nd was there a car in between you and the officer? if not you don't have a defense. if so was the car potentially blocking the view of your rear wheels and the cross walk line? this is pretty much your only defense.

3rd possible way is extend the crap out of the ticket...hoping to have the officer to forget the incedent and hope when he is asked to testify he doesn't have an accuret reculection of what your car looks like. hence a fault in the officer.

good luck...but its mainly goinng to be a battle of he says she says.
Old 06-26-08, 06:49 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

thanks everyone!
I haven't had a chance to look into an attorney yet..school is keeping me
busy nowadays..=/
Old 06-27-08, 03:24 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Peter_95
usually if you decide to contest the ticket, the officers usually dont show up because they do not get paid to show up to court, the day you decide to fight it.
That's not true. They do get paid and sometimes they qualify for overtime too.

Sorry to hear about your ticket Kenny, getting a ticket always puts me in a foul mood the rest of the day. Good luck with fighting it.
Old 06-27-08, 04:00 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Berkeley gotta be one of the worst places to drive in California, aggressive drivers+bad pavement, finding a parking space is a nighmare. My brother goes to UC Berkeley also and he wants to get his bumpers on his G35 painted, I told him to wait until he graduates LOL...
Old 06-27-08, 05:18 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
That's not true. They do get paid and sometimes they qualify for overtime too.

Sorry to hear about your ticket Kenny, getting a ticket always puts me in a foul mood the rest of the day. Good luck with fighting it.
yeah Liz..it sucks..
I could have spent this ticket money on Modding..lol
oh well..hopefully I'll win the case so that I won't have to waste my
money on this stupid nonsense ticket..

BTW..I saw the pics of the meeting..GREAT turn out!!
Old 06-29-08, 07:18 AM
AngrySC3
Rookie

My brother have a similar situation. And he told the officer what you want me to stop in the middle of the intersection and get hit!!! also the officer said why you speed up then and again my brother said you want me to get hit and die!!! So the officer look stupid and let him go. So you should be able to win this.
Old 06-29-08, 10:26 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AngrySC3
My brother have a similar situation. And he told the officer what you want me to stop in the middle of the intersection and get hit!!! also the officer said why you speed up then and again my brother said you want me to get hit and die!!! So the officer look stupid and let him go. So you should be able to win this.
wow..I guess your brother was lucky..or I guess I wasn't lucky..
oh well..I'm gonna first try to extend and then do a written trial..
I will not easily waste my money on paying a ticket!!
Old 06-29-08, 10:58 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
wow..I guess your brother was lucky..or I guess I wasn't lucky..
oh well..I'm gonna first try to extend and then do a written trial..
I will not easily waste my money on paying a ticket!!
amen. tickets are a BS waste of money.. gluck
Old 06-30-08, 01:41 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I'll fight... of course being working in the traffic engineering field for so long it is just my advice for your scenario.

Here is your strategy: You have a witness with you actually saw the entire incident. By law, CVC (California Vehicle Code) it is legal to enter the intersection at yellow phase… that means as long as your front bumper passed the stop line in yellow, you are ok… regardless it’s red or not when you are in the intersection. This is how we screen our Red Light Camera violation tickets. When you appeal the case in the court, research for the CVC, print that section and bring it and witness with you. Let us know the result and good luck.

Just wonder in which City, County were you “accused” running the red light?
Old 07-01-08, 10:46 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Don't bother with an attorney these days, their fees are ridiculous, there's plenty of certified free information online that can help you fight your ticket and also your public library (yes they still exist) has tons of resources and books that will walk you through fighting and hopefully winning your case.

Some random info:

Don't rely on hoping the officer wont show up if you fight it. They get paid overtime to show up, so they have an incentive to show up. Try extensions as much as possible, the longer the time, the more tickets they write, the bigger the blur your ticket will be to them. Officers normally will try to read the notes off the back of their copy of the ticket. There's a way to help you take away his notes, or at least point out he has a bad memory. California Evidence Code Section 1237 requires the officer to state that he can't remember all the detail of the violation, he recorded them shortly after issuing the citation, and that he needs to refer to them to refresh his memory. California Evidence Code Section 771 gives you the right to see the notes, it helps you see what exactly the officer will be saying, and you don't have to give them back immediately unless instructed to do so by the judge. Doing all this basically points out that the officer doesn't have the memory of this incident and putting a possible doubt to his argument, yes it does help. You want to attack every single tiny crack of the officer's argument. Prepare question too when you cross examine the officer as well.

Just remember, if you do contest your ticket, the judge can revoke your rights to traffic school.

This is just some stuff I learned from the past from my fair share of tickets. My first ticket ever was actually the same incident.
Old 07-01-08, 08:22 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

thanks for the great info..
I was ticketed in NorCal..Berkeley..it was on Telegraph and 40th..
I'll definitely try to extend my case as much as possible,
but I was wondering..how can I request for an extention??

Quick Reply: man..first ticket!! I can't believe this..