CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Just came back from Fontana today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 05:11 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Performance Driving

Who went?

Wow I had so much fun. Post up some pics if you have them.

Old 05-29-08, 05:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't...not 21 or whatever the age limit is now
Old 05-29-08, 06:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'll be there tomorrow for the Ultimate half day and both Saturday and Sunday.
Old 05-29-08, 08:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Just came back from Fontana today...

*WOW* Lexus really went all out for this event. I did a very similar Audi event last year and this was much more involving. The last "Hot Lap" as a passenger in the IS-F was truly a life-moving experience. I can't believe how well a car can hold onto an edge at such high speeds. The car's grip, and it's F1 engine note, is simply out of this world.
Anyway, kudos to Lexus for offering this event at no charge. After today's excersizes, I have no doubt our cars can handle and perform.
Now back to my plebian 250.
Old 05-29-08, 08:40 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Dude....................... I was there also at what time did you went??? I was at the 2:45 session!!!! The "hot lap" was a mind blowing experience!!!!! After getting on the IS-F, I didn't wanted to drive my IS250
It was really a fun experience I hope they do this every year
Old 05-29-08, 08:45 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

I wasn't even that impressed after test driving the IS350, but after getting on the IS-F I was really really impressed on how well this car performs. I was lucky on the "hot laps" my instructor was Chris, how was a professional car driver,man
that dude really kick-*** driving, props to him
Old 05-29-08, 08:54 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

if scott pruett was a driver for the hot lap, i'd be there. but no such luck.
Old 05-29-08, 09:03 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

did they let u test drive the is-f?
Old 05-29-08, 09:06 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shinbrianj
did they let u test drive the is-f?
yes you can test drive the IS-f, by yourself and the with a professional driver
Old 05-29-08, 09:14 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I was there in the morning session and the IS-F sounds crazy under hard acceleration and the hot lap was like a roller coaster ride as I was being jerked left and right...
Old 05-29-08, 09:17 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

do u actually get to drive the cars on California Speedway, or did they set up cones like Taste of Lexus (if cones is it at least any longer?) ty
Old 05-29-08, 09:34 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both... the first was with cones to show the IS250, 350, gs460 and 450h. This was a timed lap. After that you did a lead/follow in the IS-F. Follow the pro driver around the auto-cross and try to keep up with him.
Old 05-29-08, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by shinbrianj
do u actually get to drive the cars on California Speedway, or did they set up cones like Taste of Lexus (if cones is it at least any longer?) ty
The cone courses here are longer than at Taste of Lexus. You are also timed, which adds a nice element.
The Speedway course isn't actually on the Speedway track you see on T.V. It's an autocross thing in the middle, with long stretches and tight turns.
I remembered this time to check the speedo and the highest I saw was 95mph. Whoever said it feels like a rollercoaster ride summed it up best.
Lastly, all the intructors are pro drivers. And don't forget the $750 coupon coming in the mail.
Old 05-29-08, 10:19 PM
wj4
Rookie

I went this morning, definitely worth the 60 miles drive from Burbank. Here is my review..copy and pasted from my BMW board.

It was a BLAST. And it was free! The event was held at Fontana Raceway here in SoCal. Upon getting there, I noticed there was a lot of variety of cars! I parked next to an E46 M3 lowered on BBS CH's. There were fixed up 5'ers, G35's, and of course many Lexuses.

Upon entering, you had to sign the waiver and such. There were 2 virtual game stations with real working IS-F seats, lol..I thought that was pretty cool. Top notch catering service to provide finger snacks and sandwiches.

After everyone in the time slot were all there, all 10 of us, we went to a 30 mins classroom style session on what to do and what not to do when we're driving.

After the lecture, the 10 people are split into 2 groups. There happened to be 5 Lexuses per group as well. This is where we auto-x for a while. There were 2 regular IS350s, 1 IS350 with the F accessories, including exhaust, suspension and brakes..I believe the rotors are 14'' up front with 6 piston calipers! The other 2 cars were GS hybrids. We drove each car 4 times.

The F sport exhaust on the IS350 simply sounds AMAZING. I was surprised at how loud it is for an OEM piece. The brakes worked extremely well too. I really like how ergonomically placed everything is in the IS.

Needless to say the GS's didn't handled too well, lol.

After the auto-x, the 2 groups rejoined to the big track where there were 12 IS-F's. 4 cars in each group, 1 professional driver with 3 of us leading behind. After pushing the IS-F hard, I was not that impressed. The power delivery was not instantly, and to me it only felt marginally faster than the IS350. However at the higher RPMs, the engine was ROARING.

After that was done, we completed a survey and got the freebie bags with parting gifts.

It was truly a fun event, I did not mind the 60 miles drive to get there at all! I wish more automakers would host events like this..for free!

I didn't bring my camera, but here's a picture!
Old 05-29-08, 10:20 PM
wj4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The cone courses here are longer than at Taste of Lexus. You are also timed, which adds a nice element.
The Speedway course isn't actually on the Speedway track you see on T.V. It's an autocross thing in the middle, with long stretches and tight turns.
I remembered this time to check the speedo and the highest I saw was 95mph. Whoever said it feels like a rollercoaster ride summed it up best.
Lastly, all the intructors are pro drivers. And don't forget the $750 coupon coming in the mail.
The $750 coupon is given before you leave after you fill out the survey...along with a gift bag.

Quick Reply: Just came back from Fontana today...