CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

City of Industry...here comes the NFL...well maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 07:50 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default City of Industry...here comes the NFL...well maybe

just read this...thought I would pass the word...sorry if its a repost

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24188467/

updated 2:27 p.m. PT, Thurs., April. 17, 2008

LOS ANGELES - Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski Jr. has made a commitment to build the kind of stadium an NFL team needs to thrive in Los Angeles. Now, he’s hoping one will commit to play there.

Roski, a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent years trying to lure the NFL back to this area, unveiled plans Thursday for a 75,000-seat facility in the City of Industry he said could be finished in time for the 2011 season.

“I intend to develop our stadium project that meets all of the NFL requirements, and more,” Roski said at a Staples Center news conference, where stadium models and artist renditions were displayed. “Always the most important thing has been the certainty of doing this. A team is not going to commit to coming to Los Angeles without a stadium. We’ve taken this one point of uncertainty and made it a certainty. The stadium is a certainty and it will be built.”
Story continues below ↓advertisement

And, Roski added, without public money.

“Absolutely no taxpayer dollars,” he said. “There’s no taxpayer dollars to get.”

The proposed 600-acre site, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways about 20 miles east of Los Angeles, would be surrounded by a shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns. Roski said around 12 million people live within 25 miles of the site.

“We are aware of it and are monitoring all stadium-related developments in southern California,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said from his New York office.

Roski said the cost would be around $800 million, adding the stadium will be built into a hillside meaning far less steel will be required. And that, he said will result in a cost of about $400 million less than it might be otherwise.

Roski said the site is already zoned and an environmental impact report was approved in 2004.

“A supplemental EIR is currently in progress,” he added, saying construction could begin as early as the final quarter of this year and parking requirements would be met. “We’ll make it happen, just as we did here at Staples Center with the Lakers and Kings.

Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center. The Lakers, Kings and Arena Football League’s Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in this venture.

The one obvious obstacle standing in the way is a tenant for the new stadium. Possibilities might include the New Orleans Saints, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers because of their stadium uncertainties.

Roski made it clear construction will not begin until a team agreed to move, adding he did not expect an expansion team to be involved.

The NFL has said it has no plans to expand from its present 32 teams, and it’s also clear Los Angeles is not a high priority with the league at this time. But that might not stop a team with stadium uncertainties to make the move.

“No team is going to say they’re going to come here until we have this,” Roski said of the stadium plan. “We have not talked to any teams. Now, we will start the second phase of it. We’ll start talking to the NFL and the teams. We’ve got this out of the way. Now, we’ll concentrate on getting a team.”

With a smile, the 69-year-old chairman and CEO of Majestic Realty Co., added: “If I was sitting there, I would be waiting for my call. This is the top market. The team that decides to come to Los Angeles is financially going to be one of the top teams in the league, by far.”

Los Angeles, the second-largest media market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.

But, as Roski pointed out, there were always uncertainties.

Should a team decide to make the move, he said it could play the 2009-10 seasons at either the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl while the new stadium was under construction.

great...more jacked up traffic on the 60!!!!!!!1

Last edited by OGS; 04-17-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 08:39 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great adding to the congestion on the weekends on the 60 already with all the asian moms grocery shopping...
Old 04-17-08, 09:06 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

i wonder when brea canyon road will be done. maybe that'll help ease up the traffic to the 60 and 57.
Old 04-17-08, 09:36 PM
luxaro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more traffic
Old 04-17-08, 09:52 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

More work for CAL-Trans.. yay!
Old 04-17-08, 09:53 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luxaro
more traffic
This is why no teams want to come to LA...

Because it takes 3.5 HOURS to get to the games.
Old 04-18-08, 12:58 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

with all above. Great, more traffic on the 60/57 areas. If this goes through, even more nightmares with Cal Trans doing their thing as well.

Time to move outta here. I'm already sick of this area.
Old 04-18-08, 01:13 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

man i dont want this to happen so close to walnut lol
Old 04-18-08, 03:33 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

LA raiders...

There about to run out of their lease in oakland and i believe they want to leave Oakland since they cannot build a new stadium. So blast from the past?
Old 04-18-08, 03:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I thought a place around Irwindale around the dam would be a nice place but in Walnut? Where is there room for a stadium here? Presumably where the old dump used to be? Man if it were there... that would be serious bad news bears for traffic EVERYWHERE.
Old 04-21-08, 08:19 PM
2001LexusIS300
Pole Position

for those that know the 57/60 well. the propse site i believe is basically off grand right off the 57/60 where Diamond Bar Honda is. there is basically a huge vacant area there.
Old 04-21-08, 08:27 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that's basically an industrial park now with that long street, grand ave going to walnut. lol if they build it there no one is going to walnut anymore during game days since it's only a 2 lane street...
Old 04-21-08, 10:37 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

That place is totally messed up in traffic as is! This would just make it insane!
Old 04-22-08, 11:02 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

That sucks... I live very near it and we dont need any more traffic on the 60, 10, 210 or 57. It is worst as it is right now. I would like to participate a protest about this. Very bad for local cities and surrounding areas.

Last edited by Lextreme; 04-22-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-22-08, 01:25 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

i am definitely against this too. IT's gonna bring a lot of problems in this area, and not just traffic.

Quick Reply: City of Industry...here comes the NFL...well maybe