CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

cop question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 11:10 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ didnt know that.....i know cops like going to court, sinbce they get paid to sit around and do nothing.
Old 03-26-08, 02:55 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i dunno about anyone else, but i hate people who do the 1 sec stop or the stop and roll. Where i live there's about 4-5 stop signs to get to the street i live on from the major street. i've been hit almost twice from people that fail to completely stop or people that just run the stop signs altogether. and as far as i know police can wait on private property and then pull you over. So, if a cop is waiting in a mall parking lot and sees someone speeding they can still stop you and ticket you.
You almost got hit by people not paying attention, not people rolling a stop sign.

I am sure that there are many many people capable of doing a roll safely.
Old 03-27-08, 09:28 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Remember cops love to go to court. They would have 3-5 cases that day and it is considered a vacation to them. So they love appearing in courts. One thing they hate the most is WRITING. Written Declaration forces them to write and most of them are not good writer (high school education). If they dont turn in their report in 30 days after yours, then you automatically win. If he does turn in the report, the your strong evidence will support your defense. If the judge still find u guilty, then u still can request court apperance or traffic school. This is your best chance to win.
Are you sure about this. I thought every ticket given has to come with a report? I will double check on this.

FYI, I have had more tickets dropped by going to court than "Written Declaration". However; you can do both, but written has to be done first and if you loose that, than you can fight the ticket in court and the officer must show.

And the reason the cop was parked there was because residents in the area complained about people rolling or not stopping. I guess some cops just have nothing better to do. Even when there off duty they find a way to "Fk" with people.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/03/nfl...ing/index.html
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008...5_776_8_88.txt
and the list goes on and on

Last edited by GS FONZy; 03-27-08 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:06 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Are you sure about this. I thought every ticket given has to come with a report? I will double check on this.
I am not an attorney but work with them all the time. I think only if a ticket is contested. Then a report will follow.
Old 03-28-08, 05:34 AM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

ive gotten a stop sign ticket and i fought it and won. basically i said a stop is any cessation in movement and even if it were for 1 second, as long as your wheels stopped moving, it is satisfactory. there is nothing in the CVC that says you have to stop for a certain period of time [most people think you have to stop for 3 seconds or something like that].

i think more than 95% of the cops file a response to a written declaration, based on personal experience but then again it can just be my subjective impression... and also to follow up on that, if you file for written declaration and happen to lose, you can still appeal via trial de novo and argue in court

i know this area pretty darn well ive gotten A LOT of speeding tickets in my old civic but happen to only have 1 point on my record
Old 03-29-08, 09:28 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Remember cops love to go to court. They would have 3-5 cases that day and it is considered a vacation to them. So they love appearing in courts. One thing they hate the most is WRITING. Written Declaration forces them to write and most of them are not good writer (high school education). If they dont turn in their report in 30 days after yours, then you automatically win. If he does turn in the report, the your strong evidence will support your defense. If the judge still find u guilty, then u still can request court apperance or traffic school. This is your best chance to win.
Depending on court + PD, not all cops are fond of going to court. I had one actually MAD at me (told me after our court appearance) for having contested the tix + "dragging" him there.

PD's have different policies requiring when etc. officer goes to court.

But....

ALWAYS contest. Even if you're in wrong. Go to court. Am not sure of statistics, but something like 1/3 of these cases are dismissed due to the officers not showing up.

I was in court several times + saw all these people go scoff-free. No such luck for me! (My mother went 3 times over a few years, + case dismissed ea. time for absence of officers!!!!) LOL

G L

Old 03-29-08, 10:27 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember i said this before :[ and no one seemed to notice :[ even though i gave them links to what TO do and yea hahaha
Old 03-31-08, 03:42 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vipguy
cops can give u a ticket weather they're on duty or not..
then alone if "they had their lights on" come on man. u rolled a stopsign.
period. the law is the law.
how can they give you a ticket off duty. What are they going to do, flash there headlights and you are going to pull right over like a genius yeah right. They are officers 24/7 365 and they have to assist in any emergency, but an off duty cop that follows someone without calling on duty officers is dumb and it's called power abuse. They know what they have in mind, they want to play the cowboy role.
Old 03-31-08, 03:51 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Is it legal for them to be waiting on private property like that? In someone's driveway?

But yeah, I know a cop and they love going to court. Not because they have nothing better to do but because they get paid. Plus by the time they go to court their rate goes to like double time or something.
At least it is for local cops, unsure how CHP works.