CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Louisiana seafood in the OC...where??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 01:33 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Louisiana seafood in the OC...where??

I've been meaning to drive down to the OC and check out one of these Louisiana boiled seafood spots...but which one is the best and why? If anyone has been to any of these places please post up your experiences, thoughts on the menu, parking, prices, service, etc.

The places are Rockin' Crawfish and The Boiling Crab, I believe they are in the Westminster/Garden Grove area.

Post up!! I'm hungry!!!
Old 02-20-08, 01:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Creole food. YUMMY!!!

Well, Burrell's Louisinana BBQ is more of a smokehouse in Santa Ana. Great BBQ; I cannot think of any place better than this outside of Louisiana.

For seafood spots, I typically leave the O.C. In Inglewood, The Gumbo Shack is a great place for gumbo and ettouffe. Also, in Long Beach, on Atlantic Ave north of the 405, New Orleans Grill is probably the most comprehensive Louisiana cookery that I know of.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-20-08, 01:58 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There a boiling crab in LA
Old 02-20-08, 02:01 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In Inglewood, The Gumbo Shack is a great place for gumbo and ettouffe.
Hmm...I'm in Inglewood almost everyday and have never been to this place. I have been to the Bayou Grille and the Crab Pit in Inglewood though, both are good spots.

I also heard of a place in the OC called "Artist Seafood" where people go for boiled crawfish, but the concensus is that Boiling Crab and Rockin' Crawfish are better. From what I've read these spots are hella crowded on weekends...figures...most good places are
Old 02-20-08, 02:10 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boiling Crab:

This place is very good and very decently priced. I personally go there for the crawfish and the shrimp. You're lookin at about 8 dollars a pound which is very decent IMO.

THe Boiling Crab: Highly reccomend this spot, only drawback is that it gets very crowded at times
Old 02-20-08, 02:30 PM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

Hey!!! i'm going to boiling crab tonite. Place to be! for crawfish, shrimp and crabs legs. Gumbo is pretty good there also. But if you want some real Louisiana food then this might not be the spot, cuz its almost all seafood and not much else. But go early or later in the evenings, will get packed fast durring dinner time. I remember waiting like an hour & half.
Old 02-20-08, 03:18 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by is350
There a boiling crab in LA
Do you know where it's located by chance?

Originally Posted by vinh
The Boiling Crab:

This place is very good and very decently priced. I personally go there for the crawfish and the shrimp. You're lookin at about 8 dollars a pound which is very decent IMO.
Vinh, that sounds about right for the area, even though it's much steeper than what it runs in New Orleans. I called my dad the other day (He still lives in N.O.) and he said the crawfish are running $1.99 a lb. down there (boiled). Quite a difference from the $7.99-$8.99 a lb. that most of these places in Cali charge ...but I guess you're paying the fare for the little critters making it all the way to the west coast. I would ask my dad to send me like 20 lbs of the things, but I fear the postage for overnight delivery would be outrageous.

Originally Posted by Blk96Supra
Hey!!! i'm going to boiling crab tonite. Place to be! for crawfish, shrimp and crabs legs. Gumbo is pretty good there also. But if you want some real Louisiana food then this might not be the spot, cuz its almost all seafood and not much else. But go early or later in the evenings, will get packed fast durring dinner time. I remember waiting like an hour & half.
An hour and 1/2 wait? Gatdayumn!! I guess it must be good then.

I'm from Louisiana and it's been a while since I had some home cookin'. And I can make my own gumbo and whatnot...I just really want some crawfish and crab legs...and soon!

Can you post up some info about your experience in this thread tomorrow? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-20-08, 03:26 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Where else can I get some good gumbo? I need to try Gumboshack, people hyped up the Gumbo place @ the grove, but it was pretty bad. The best Gumbo ive had is at the Oyster Bar in Las Vegas. But i'd love to try some good Gumbo out in So-cal.
Old 02-20-08, 04:12 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was just at boiling crab on euclid on monday night. first time there n it was alright. different than what i'm used to eating but i'll probably be back. we had a party of 4 and the wait was 30 mins at 6pm... keep in mind monday was a holiday for most. the place is kinda small... parking is ample since it's in a strip mall. you can always check out the viet coffee shop next door if you have time to kill hahah.

we ordered 2 lbs of crawfish and 4 lbs of shrimp in the "shabang" sauce and an order of fried catfish with cajun fries. total came out to 17/person including tax n tip. i didn't really care for the crawfish that much since it's so much work for so little meat hahah. it seemed like the only thing the crawfish was for was to suck out the juices. i did enjoy the shrimp although some of it felt old... the meat was a lil mushy n fell apart easily when peeled.

since the location i went to was in garden grove, be prepared to be surrounded by vietnamese young adults... 20-30. you might feel out of place if you're not viet or even asian for that matter. nothing wrong with that but just wanted to throw that out.
Old 02-20-08, 04:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Where else can I get some good gumbo? I need to try Gumboshack...
I would love to set up a meet, but parking is horrible at the Gumbo Shack.

Definately try the New Orleans Grill though. That's a nice place to go to.
Old 02-20-08, 04:55 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Boiling Crab FTW :]
Old 02-20-08, 05:19 PM
slowpokeGS
Rookie

sorry guys but i think boiling crab kinda sucks. i prefer to go to cajun corner.

its right behind the pho 54 in westminster on brookhurst and mcfadden

price is decent especially for the quality of food. its 7 bucks a pound for crawfish and 8 for a pound of shrimp. the corn and sausage is awesome as well you can get 12 for 2.99 on the sausage and its like $1 for like 3 pieces of corn. they also have a liquor license so you can drink alcohol there.

their fries are to die for. it has a bit of the louisana seasoning to it.
Old 02-20-08, 08:13 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpokeGS
sorry guys but i think boiling crab kinda sucks. i prefer to go to cajun corner.

its right behind the pho 54 in westminster on brookhurst and mcfadden

price is decent especially for the quality of food. its 7 bucks a pound for crawfish and 8 for a pound of shrimp. the corn and sausage is awesome as well you can get 12 for 2.99 on the sausage and its like $1 for like 3 pieces of corn. they also have a liquor license so you can drink alcohol there.

their fries are to die for. it has a bit of the louisana seasoning to it.
I went there when they first opened and they had 50% off happy hour or something. I thought Boiling Crab was better but maybe things have improved. I liked the refillable strawberry lemonade.
Old 02-20-08, 08:43 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Where else can I get some good gumbo?
This might be far, but try Iva Lees in San Clemente. They have live music (blues), excellent gumbo IMO. Also some Turbo Dog and a really dark oat stout that kicks ***.
Old 02-20-08, 11:08 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AutoSports
whats the crawfish place between Starz Cafe and Vivid??? that place always seem crowded at night especially since its located near CAN.
That's Boiling Crab. It's in the same strip as CAN nite club. Boiling Crab is good..it was one of the first crawfish places that opened in OC. But like everyone said, depending on what time you go, be prepared to wait as the place is quite small.

As for Louisiana style seafood, I prefer Cajun Corner myself. At one point when crab was in season, you can get a combo where you get 1 lb of shrimp, 1 lb of clam, 1 Dungeness crab with corn and sausages, all for $29.99. A darn good deal if you ask me. But this was ONLY when crab was in season. I tried to get the same combo when crab wasn't in season and they didn't offer this combo.

Quick Reply: Louisiana seafood in the OC...where??