CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Legal Tint in CALI?

Old 05-17-07, 12:19 AM
wjimmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Tint in CALI?

What is the legal tint in CALI?

I heard you can't tint the front at all is that true?

What % for sides and back is considered legal?
Old 05-17-07, 12:37 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What you've heard is true. For the rear windows and rear windshield, you could go as dark as you like.
Old 05-17-07, 01:22 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

zero tint is allowed uneless u have a written recomendation from a doctor or roll down ur windows when u see cops
Old 05-17-07, 01:59 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

even with the doctors note iirc its a max of 50-70%.

and the doctors note is a bit shifty now since htey supposedly changed the law jan. 1st
Old 05-17-07, 07:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

According to the law:

1) It is illegal to put ANYTHING on both front side windows. Not tint. Not those sun shade screens.
2) It is legal to tint or even paint the rear side windows and rear windshield black if you'd like, just as long as you have two side mirrors.
3) It is legal to put a 6" tint strip on the top of the front windshield only. No other obstruction of the front windshield is allowed.

But here's the deal: a cop will most likely not pull you over for tint alone. If you do something stupid, and get caught, a cop will most likely bother you about front tints if they're really having "one of those days." Otherwise, they've got better things to do that pull you over for tint alone.
Old 05-17-07, 09:32 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
But here's the deal: a cop will most likely not pull you over for tint alone. If you do something stupid, and get caught, a cop will most likely bother you about front tints if they're really having "one of those days." Otherwise, they've got better things to do that pull you over for tint alone.
Yup.
I just got a fix-it ticket for my 35% front windows. Of course he didn't pull my butt over for tint. He busted a U-turn to chase me 2 blocks to a strip mall parking lot in broad daylight to tell me my right turn was too fast. He couldn't figure out how fast I was going (it was <25mph) so he settled on the tint ticket and estimated "approx 40mph unsafe turn." It's a $10 ticket and a fix-it.
Old 05-17-07, 10:33 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doctors note? does that sill work?
Old 05-17-07, 10:56 AM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

What would the doctors note be about though? Something like, "My skin is to sensitive to the UV Rays of the sun?"
Old 05-17-07, 12:27 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

anything can be legal as long as you make an attempt to make it legal, like rolling down the windows and/or opening up the sunroof so more light can come in lol.
i almost always go out late at night and i've never got caught when there was police on the road
20% all around and still going strong (knock on wood)

Last edited by chubby; 05-17-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-17-07, 01:48 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

The CHP says one thing and the DMV says another.
DMV says you can tint the front windows as long as there is a total of 70% light transmission through. This means the tint + whatever factory tint in the glass must add up to 70%. Also the strip at the top on the windshield can only be 4 inches

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...%204-11-07.pdf

Last edited by pingu; 05-17-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-18-07, 12:03 AM
icec0ld
Pole Position

great info! but yea, the chp still has the final verdict when u get pulled over
Old 05-29-07, 10:16 AM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
According to the law:

1) It is illegal to put ANYTHING on both front side windows. Not tint. Not those sun shade screens.
2) It is legal to tint or even paint the rear side windows and rear windshield black if you'd like, just as long as you have two side mirrors.
3) It is legal to put a 6" tint strip on the top of the front windshield only. No other obstruction of the front windshield is allowed.

i was pulled over last year for tint, and tint only. a week later, the car was totalled (sandwiched on the freeway), still had to pay the $10 fine, lol. a case of bad luck i guess.

the actual law as stated by dmv in california:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
doctors note? does that sill work?
What would the doctors note be about though? Something like, "My skin is to sensitive to the UV Rays of the sun?"
likely it would need to be something along the lines of "this patient is at increased risk for skin cancer given a strong family history of skin cancer." or "this patient has a personal history of skin cancer/malignant melanoma/etc/." i'm not sure how a police officer would view this- as in would it be settled there on the spot, or would you still get ticketed forcing the doctor to write a note to the court in order to have the ticket waived.
Old 05-29-07, 05:34 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeaa so I have 5%, and i got a fix it ticket. but the cop orignally pulled me over for a headlight that was knocked loose. other than that i was rolling around with the 5% for over a year
Old 07-06-07, 01:06 PM
Strenz
Driver School Candidate

Just another option you may not know about...if you have the actual glass replaced with darker glass NOT tinted with film, but actual DARKER GLASS...then it's no ticket & they can't do anything about it - no matter how dark. The law is written for film/tint on the windows, but there is no law stating you cannot replace the glass. It's an expensive, yet legal, option.

BTW - This was told to me by a couple San Diego PD's a few years back...they said it's rare, but they have actually seen it on a few high end cars (lambo's, etc.).
Old 07-06-07, 07:25 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

You can put on 5% all alround you gotta be carefull.

I've had 5% tint on my other for like 3 years and never had a problem but then again I drive with the windows down alot