CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Turnbull Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 04:04 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnbull Canyon

Hey,

Does any one know where the asylum is at Turnbull Canyon?

I have to do a documentary about Turnbull and was hoping to film some parts at the asylum. I just don’t know where the asylum is.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-07, 04:37 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Theres an asylum? I heard that there is a KKK house up there.
Old 01-26-07, 06:10 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, i heard there was an insane asylum, a guy that hung himself on a tree, indian burial ground, and a haunted house where a little girl tripped next to the pool and died, and at the same time mother set the house on fire.
Old 01-26-07, 06:23 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

I heard people drift there!
Old 01-26-07, 07:37 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDM
I heard people drift there!
LOL, i used to race there w/ my older car. Nice place to cruise, and scare the crap outta some girls.
Old 01-26-07, 07:57 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^ hell yea!! hahaha.. always tell ghost stories up there... there was also a mass murder up there... coming from BEVERLY side, the first corner house at the top of the hill .. = a family of 5 or 7 all killed in their sleep.
Old 01-26-07, 07:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The cult, however, was not the only veiled historical account that was remembered by the older residents. Apparently, during the 1930’s, there also used to be a hospital in the canyon. According to a woman wanting to be called “Esther”, this was an insane asylum. “Esther” claimed to be a former nurse at this institution, and said that most of the patients would have been diagnosed with some form of mental retardation had they lived today. Unfortunately, they lived in a time when electro shock therapy, lobotomies, and other barbaric practices were common place. “Esther” stated that the hospital was destroyed in a fire at the beginning of the 40s. According to her, she and a doctor were the only survivors. All the patients and the majority of the staff perished. Though no historical documents could be found, her story was corroborated by an elderly man who was passing by and overheard the conversation. The site of the hospital supposedly lies at the end of a dirt road that has been closed to the public for many years. Prior to meeting “Esther”, while exploring the canyon once, I observed, with a friend of mine who wishes not to be named, a police cruiser pulling out from the entrance to this road. The police car, however, was not a contemporary car. It looked like a restored car that was used in old movies from the WWII era. When “Esther” re-told her story of the hospital and of its location, a chill ran down my spine.
from http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910
Old 01-26-07, 07:59 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember reading this storie on sgvtribune i think last year... http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_4231512
Old 01-26-07, 08:13 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think turnbull canyon was around in the 1930's and if it was, it could not have been much but dirt and hills. Hacienda heights did not develop until the mid-1970's. There's much history in the hills of turnbull, whittier and hacienda. Most are folklore and myth with everyone keeping the mystery alive by sparking the curious. There's a bunhc of nice homes, great streets to practice driving, even some great views of the city. Turnbull will always be the mystery in Hacienda heights. Whatever you hear about Turnbull, its like reading in the tabloids.
Old 01-26-07, 08:46 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went up to turnbull canyon with some friends on halloween and visited the "haunted house" up there. nothing paranormal from what we saw
Old 01-26-07, 09:46 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks

I went up there yesterday, its normal, great views of the city lights. Walked on one of the fireroads, seemed fine, lol

I'll upload the documentary when finished in a couple of weeks!

Thanks
Old 01-27-07, 08:02 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

i went there at night, its creepy as hell thats all, valli why didn't yu ask me about it lolol we were gunna go last night too but noone was up for it... because we're too chicekn to go up without our trusty flashlights and shanks!
Old 01-27-07, 08:16 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I took my car there the day I installed my coilovers and had a blast.
Old 01-27-07, 09:21 PM
DriftVIP
Rookie

theres nothing there except bunch of Takumi Initial D wannabes
Old 01-27-07, 10:20 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

whos down for a meet there?

Quick Reply: Turnbull Canyon