CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

103 mph Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 06:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 103 mph Speeding Ticket

Hey guys, last night my buddy got nailed by CHP for speeding in Mission Viejo of the 5 South. They were on the overpass tagging oncoming traffic and they relayed a car ahead to pursue and pulled us over at an offramp. He got written up for "approximately 103 mph" on the ticket.

Do you guys kno what the penalties are and what are his best options?
Old 01-12-07, 06:32 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Goddang. Man why the heck was he going that fast? Dunno if there's much he can do except plead his case to the judge. Ask for traffic school and a fine reduction (never hurts).
Old 01-12-07, 06:37 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure in LA COUnty, but in Orange county, there is not traffic school for over 65 mph. And they used that one new radar gun which is supposedly much more accurate than the older radar guns. Your friend is kinda screwed. gonna be a huge fine, i heard anything over 100mph is a midemeanor. im surprised he didnt get his car impounded. Tell him best thing to do is suck it up and try to pay it off.
Old 01-12-07, 06:42 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

ya i thought they revoke your license if you are over 100mph?
Old 01-12-07, 06:52 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st violation ticket, go to traffic school and get over with it !! if this is his 2nd violation within 18 months, then he should fight, postpone (like 2-3 times)and hoping that cop won't show up. What's got to lose ?? 2nd violation, that's automatic point in your record anyways !! Good luck to your friend !!

It's gonna be a heavy fine $$$, for sure !!!

J
Old 01-12-07, 06:53 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

so they were on the over pass bridge where at jerry? what exit
Old 01-12-07, 06:58 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

He was actually driving my car while I was riding in shotgun!!!! Thank god my ride did not get impounded.

We had to rush back because I left my camera bag (to make matters worse, it was my dad's camera bag) in the parking lot down in Dana Point (it was there when we got back or else it would just be getting a ticket in vain).

We were being very vigilante for cops since it was a total open road. We were constantly looking at on-ramps to see if there are any cops and looking at the mirrors for any vehicles nearby. But Chippies chilling on the overpass bridge got the best of us.

My friend is 19 and has a clean record BTW. He is wishing that he'll have an option to go to traffic school

Last edited by xknowonex; 01-12-07 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 07:05 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
so they were on the over pass bridge where at jerry? what exit
Apparently they were chilling on the Oso Parkway bridge above the the 5. Im guessing they just radio'd another CHP car down ahead near an onramp to engage pursuit on our car. They showed this tactic on the local news channel recently. So lesson learned is that do not speed on freeways with overpasses at night.

I called a couple of friends who live in Mission Viejo and Laguna Hills area and they confirmed that the 5 freeway in that Mission Viejo area all the way to San Clemente are littered with overpass speedtraps allover at night. Beware
Old 01-12-07, 07:20 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

You don't get to do TS if you get nailed 20+ over the speed limit. Your friend may have his license suspended for 30 days + fine.
Old 01-12-07, 07:22 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow your buddy got LIDARed. Freeways 210 and 605 CHP is also using LIDAR, so if you see a overpass, slow down. But usually when you see the overpass it's too late. LIDAR is hard to fight against since it's so accurate...good luck with it.
Old 01-12-07, 07:23 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Off topic but I got nailed 2 weeks ago on the toll road going 120mph driving my friends F430. Surprisingly the CHP Officer didn't tow the car and he wrote 95 mph on the ticket! !!!!!?????? I hope I can get traffic school I've never got a ticket in the Irvine area. They are really cracking down on speeding in those areas! I did in Laguna but not Irvine.
Old 01-12-07, 07:24 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

CHP in recent months have added laser to their arsenal. They will now often park perpendicular to freeways and "shoot" you from their window.
Old 01-12-07, 07:40 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal_VIP
Off topic but I got nailed 2 weeks ago on the toll road going 120mph driving my friends F430. Surprisingly the CHP Officer didn't tow the car and he wrote 95 mph on the ticket! !!!!!?????? I hope I can get traffic school I've never got a ticket in the Irvine area. They are really cracking down on speeding in those areas! I did in Laguna but not Irvine.

DUDE, F430???? WTF, who are your friends and how can i become their friend.
Old 01-12-07, 07:51 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

over 100mph is considered "reckless" driving....i thought your license would be suspended....
Old 01-12-07, 08:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by indypwr
over 100mph is considered "reckless" driving....i thought your license would be suspended....
could be, not will be. it all depends on the judge. supposedly you can't go to traffic school as well, but i guess judge can make the car. honestly for over 100mph, i might get a lawyer to make sure things are done right

and i am kind of surprised about the law for OC, kind of doubt that anything over 65mph and you can't go to traffic school. doesn't make sense

Quick Reply: 103 mph Speeding Ticket