CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Awful experience at Kearny Mesa Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 11:08 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful experience at Kearny Mesa Lexus

Hello Everyone,

I felt the need to tell my assorted tale (and vent!). Please bear with me...

On November 12th, I purchased a 2006 GS300 for my mom (her money, my leg work, her car) from a reposession sale. The car didn't have keys. I had it towed to Kearny Mesa Lexus. They had service records on the car from previous oil changes.

They first told me that keys are $600 and would take a week to get and install. Fine. However, they warned me that this would be the first time they had programmed an 06, so it might take some extra time. After a week, I called them. They said they couldn't communicate with the car's ECU and that more things were wrong with the car. They began replacing computers. First the power computer, then the main ECU, etc. They claimed to be making progress, but the car was still not starting.

I told them before Thanksgiving that I would be leaving San Diego for Arizona for a month and that I needed the car by Dec 14th, a month later. They said that'd be no problem.

Then, I show up at the dealership and walk into the back lot. To my utter horror, I find the car's rear bumper pressed into a split-faced brick wall-- spider cracked and broken. The car has also been sideswipped by another (red) car. And as though those two issues weren't enough, ENGINE parts were set on the car's roof!! I opened the door, and the interior was filthy with hand grease.

As you can imagine, I launched on the service rep. He said they'd fix the damage, but as everyone on here knows, the repairs still devalue the car-- there's no getting even.

The struggles with the ECU continue. They claim they're narrowing the computer issues down. I, however, think that a mechanic incompent enough to use my roof as a parts rack has no business diagnoising a BMX bike, much less Lexus computers. In short, I believe that they don't know how to program fob keys, but I digress..

The car is not complete by Dec 14th, so I leave for Arizona. Busy with Christmas, I don't call them until 27th. (They never call me!) A day goes by with no call back. I then called again for my service rep, again no call back. So on the 30th, I call for the service rep, but he's "in a meeting." I left a message for him and a message for the general manager.

At 5:30 pm, the service manager calls me back. He is very defensive, I'm quite aggressive, but we reach a half understanding. I tell him "Daniel, a lot of the anger you're feeling is from the lack of communication. More communication would go a long way." "I understand, I'll look more into this and call you back with an update before the end of my shift." ...... It's now a week later. No call back.

No call back from the general manager.

I've now called Lexus Consumer Care and filed a complaint. Nearly 8 weeks, my car still does not run, it's been wrecked, parts left on it, sideswipped, dirty, and no one will call. It's unreal. My car would have stood a better chance being parked in a Tijuana parking lot than at Kearny Mesa Lexus.

If anyone is interested, I'll update this thread.
Old 01-05-07, 11:27 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wut the heck. They put PARTS on top of your car, crashed it, filthy interior, wut is that crap. That is terrible man. Sum1 should get fired because of all that. If i were u id be pusuing this so much more. I say u check out their used lot for something of Equal or greater value. Is there anyone else u can talk to?

Damn, that is a horror story.

Atleast u have an NSX.
Old 01-05-07, 11:37 AM
TR3XX
Pole Position

wowsa, i can't believe the drama you're going thru. hopefully Lexus customer care can help resolve this issue. good luck.
Old 01-05-07, 11:38 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

un-accept-a-ble.

IMO this is the point where you threaten legal action against the dealer and force their hand to remedy the situation. if they fail to respond, go the whole nine yards.

as much as it was a horror to read your story, good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 01-05-07, 11:42 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Incredible story.

Call Michael Turko on KUSI news. That will wake some folks up.
Old 01-05-07, 11:44 AM
lexsterES
Pole Position

The more and more I read of other peoples horror stories the more and more I dislike dealers. I feel for you man. I hope this will get resolved and you find yourself a great mechanic.
Old 01-05-07, 01:47 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kearny Mesa Lexus is a known black hole for SD locals; everyone pretty much knows to steer clear of that place. I've heard countless horror stories like your own from other Lexus owners. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at your experience there. As well as calling Lexus Consumer Care you might want to write a letter if they have a snail mail address available.

If at all possible and you get the opportunity it might also be a good idea to take a few pictures of your car.

Keep us updated, good luck.

Last edited by SDLexus; 01-05-07 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 01:49 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

That is unbelievable a dealer would let any of this happen when it is thier job to take care of your car. What's more suprising is that a Lexus dealer would let this happen.

I would take it to your local news to get some attention right now. Also, if theyh avent discussed it yet, make sure you arent on the hook for some $10,000 invoice for a set of keys because they state they had to put in so many man hours to diagnose and correct the problem.

Keep us in the loop and let us know how this one ends...
Old 01-05-07, 01:51 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Incredible story.

Call Michael Turko on KUSI news. That will wake some folks up.
That might be a good idea actually. At least shoot the guy an email and see if he'd be interested in doing a story on it. I'd imagine Lexus corporate wouldn't be too pleased if it found out one of their dealership service centers was giving horrible service to its customers and it aired on the local news.

"It ain't right!"
Old 01-05-07, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

A-spend $300-500 for a full set of tools (air compressor+impact+handtools)
B-buy vehicle service and repair manual for ~$150-180
C-use said tools and the magic of the manual to fix ur car yourself. within 3-5 months you will have fully paid back the total cost.
Old 01-05-07, 03:39 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Thank you everyone for your words and insights. I wasn't sure if this really is as bad as I think it is, so hearing your comments helped a great deal. I reread what I wrote and, frankly, it's not as nasty as it should have been. (Comments from the service manager like "All I can do is make your car a priority, something we can really start focusing on"-- after week 6)

I have contacted the Tribune, and we'll see what they have to say.

Please feel free to keep the comments coming!
Old 01-05-07, 03:40 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
A-spend $300-500 for a full set of tools (air compressor+impact+handtools)
B-buy vehicle service and repair manual for ~$150-180
C-use said tools and the magic of the manual to fix ur car yourself. within 3-5 months you will have fully paid back the total cost.
You're kidding, right? Please reread my problem..
Old 01-05-07, 04:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Kinetics
You're kidding, right? Please reread my problem..

i thought u were having ecu related motor trouble

still, there are other options than dealers, like a GOOD independant.

unfortunately for your issue (keys+locking) there is no other option
Old 01-05-07, 09:57 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, kearny mesa is horrible. i drive my car 30 min. to el cajon (i live in mira mesa) to take it to bob baker lexus, with people i know and trust, rather than leaving it with kearny mesa.

but anyway, make sure to take any pics you can and good luck! keep us updated.
Old 01-06-07, 11:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, what horrible dealer service.
Seems like this dealer doesn't pride in the lexus name. Corporate should pay attention to dealers like this b/c it gives
LEXUS a bad name. Do they want that???

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing a white camry with the "Courtesy loaner vehicle from Kearny Mesa Lexus" on the back window. I was going to take a picture but it sped off.
Either way, that's the first non-lexus loaner vehicle that I have seen.

Quick Reply: Awful experience at Kearny Mesa Lexus