CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Recieved a FIXIT ticket for my tinted windows >=(

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 12:55 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recieved a FIXIT ticket for my tinted windows >=(

So I was driving around the Downey area and stopped by a store, left the store and drove off but i forgot to roll down my window (this was at night time), and I got pulled over and a cop busted me for my front driver and passenger side tints, he told me its correctable but i dont want my windows or tints to be messed with. I also dont want to take them off, is there anybody that can help me with this I can't get a hold of any friends who knows a cop/sheriff that i can get this signed off, obviously i dont want to take off my tints, whats the fine for tints anyways? A week later I went to Ontario and got busted for the same thing . I tried to show the officer that I have a ticket for one already he refused it and got in a pissy mood, so he wrote me up for one also . Now I have 2 tinted windows ticket.... anybody care to help me

Please help a CL member out Im from socal Long beach area, if anybody can help me so much is appreciated!

- Dara
Old 08-27-06, 02:01 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Social networking at its best.
Old 08-27-06, 02:11 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

CA sucks for tinting your car. You'd think in the warmer climate that is the sunny (almost deserty) state of CA, you'd be able to tint your front windows. But nope.

Just curious, what tint % do you have up front? Did you go with a light tint or a dark?
Old 08-27-06, 02:38 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

It's a dark tint but i dont know whats the % on it maybe 15%??? I bought the car this way from the dealer i never touched the window or had a shop touched it besides cleaning them down.

what % does it look like?:

Old 08-27-06, 02:54 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a site that has all the states tint laws. I would say, just by looking at the picture, that your fronts are way too dark. I know they would not fly here in Texas. I have gotten all my cars tinted at the same place over the past 10 years and they only use what is legal in the state. I have been there when people would come in and ask them to put some limo type tint on the front window and they would say no way.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 08-27-06, 03:21 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Yes around 15% is a good guess.

I'm not sure how accurate this site is when it comes to CA law. Its illegal on the front windows.
Old 08-27-06, 05:08 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

that's dark for the fronts. I just had my tinted yesterday and asked my shop what they recommended, they asked me how often I wanted to come back to have them redo the fronts for tickets! Basically, anything darker than a light and your asking for attention from Johnny. a light is very light but if they mess with me for the light, it's cuz they want to talk with me about other things, and since i'm an old man of 37 years and drive like an old lady of 67, I dont think I'll get hassled.

imho, is you have the money, strip it all, get the tickets signed off and get a new matching tint in a light or medium light... you should be fine.
Old 08-27-06, 05:40 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

hmm, whats the cost of stripping it? then reapplying back the tints on the front sides?
Old 08-27-06, 05:54 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Stripping is free. You can do it yourself. Its easy to do but time consuming. Ask your local shop about the products they use in your area and you're good to go. Set aside an afternoon to do this. And a lot of clean paper towels and rags. Its messy as hell.
Old 08-27-06, 06:11 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my tint removed and some darker tint put on 20% ... the guy i went to removed my tint in about an hour... he took a razor and got a starting point and just pulled the tint right off... i guess if your tint is in good condition it will just peel right off..just don't let the part that you have already ripped off get to long or it will tear... then take a razor and some simple green and clean off all of the glue... the rear window do the same thing but instead of using a razor get some fine steel wool to get the glue off... you won't see the glue but it is there... hope this helps
Old 08-27-06, 06:35 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

cool, yeah if i am im looking to only just remove the front sides... also how much if i was planning to put tints back on them???
Old 08-28-06, 08:10 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i'm having a sense of deja vu... about a month back i was ticketed twice within 24 hours for having the front windows done. i had a 75% grade tint on the front which i thought was barely noticable, but the law in my area clearly stated absolutely nothing is allowed on the front windows. the total for both tickets came to $218

it cost me $35 to take both front window tints off. i had tried doing it once before on my own with another car but it was so messy i ended up having to get someone else to do it in the end (tint was tearing off in small strips, couldn't get all the glue off and it kept streaking the glass). i tried to bear with the newfound sun and heat but my leather was taking a beating so i finally took the VIP route and had curtains installed... it's fussy but so far so good.
Old 08-28-06, 01:04 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

so does anybody in CA southern area knows the cost to re-tint the front side windows?

or

whats the fine in Southern CA to just pay the tickets off?
Old 08-28-06, 04:59 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paid my fixit ticket for front tints in San Diego county. It was $115 for the fine.
Old 08-28-06, 08:50 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Aristo, I'm in NorCal and it REALLY depends on the shop. One of the best shops in all the Bay Area quoted my friend $300 for his BMW coupe. That included the rear window, both side rear windows (these are tiny since this is a two door car), and the illegal tinting of the front windows.

So you're <$300. I'd guess and say, plan about $150 for a good tint job for front windows.

Quick Reply: Recieved a FIXIT ticket for my tinted windows >=(