CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

DO NOT go to Jiffy Lube in Arcadia (corner of Huntington & Santa Anita)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 09:31 PM
Streamline
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT go to Jiffy Lube in Arcadia (corner of Huntington & Santa Anita)

This past Friday, I had a bit of free time...so on my way home from work, I decided to get my oil change. The thing is, I didn't want to do it myself. Figured I would just bring it to Jiffy Lube. BIG MISTAKE.

How hard is it to do a simple oil change? Apparently...too hard.

While I was waiting inside, they call me out to give you their standard recommendations. Low and behold, they inform me that as they removed my drain plug, the drain plug easily fell out. This was SUPPOSEDLY due to the fact that the threads on my oil pan were stripped. I thought this was an outright lie. Had the threads been stripped, the drain plug would've fallen out and at the very least, I would've been leaking oil. None of which has happend prior to my arrival to Jiffy Lube.

As I was in the process of listening to this, they were ALREADY in the process of "fixing" the problem. They even put on the invoice that they "notified" the customer. Let me tell you this much. I HAD NOT even agreed to ANY repair work, and they assured me that they were working on fixing the problem. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A COVER UP TO YOU?

I made some calls to make sure I have my bases covered to ensure I'm not getting completely screwed.

I then speak w/ the manager. This manager is completely condescending in that he thinks I don't know ***** about cars. He first tells me that as they were removing the drain plug, it easily fell out w/ the threads on it. This was SUPPOSEDLY due to the fact that the oil pan threads were worn.

Let's see. I came to them the prior time and they were the ones who did the oil change last. Therefore, they were the ones who *****ed up the threads if this was true.

He proceeds to bull***** me by telling me that the threads were worn. This is because I'm driving w/ an oil pan that has 170k miles on it. Ok a$$hole, first of all, I have only 147k miles on it, and how does he know this is the original oil pan? Admittedly he didn't know, but he is basing it off of what he sees. What is he looking at that makes him see a 170k mile oil pan versus one that is only 50k? *****ing liar.

I ask him what their procedure is for oil plugs. He tells me that use their standard procedure. They "hammer the drain plug twice and remove it". "HAMMER". Would this not ***** up the pan/drain plug?

After they had already "fixed" the car, they immediately drove it off of the pit area. I point this out, as I was not able to see the repair work. The manager just says to bring the car back if there is a problem.

And don't even bother trying to get them to sign anything. I tried. I made notes on the invoice, and he said there was nothing for him to sign. In short, I was being *****ed.

I made some calls and was able to make an emergency visit to Kennedy w/ Premier Automotive (626-401-1464). I have pictures of the oil pan/drain plug.

Basically, upon reinstallation of the drain plug (as I was sure about), they installed the drain plug at an angle. This caused the threads to become *****ed up on on side of drain hole. The other side was fine. This was evident when the drain plug was removed. They used an oversized drain plug AND a washer (metal outer, rubber center) to plug the problem AND they further MICKEY MOUSED it by using some purple silicone glue to help w/ the sealing.

A$$HOLES! That is all I can say.

I made a call to a friend that used to work for Jiffy Lube. He knew of the situation at the time I was there, and further advised me when I left. Basically, the manager and everyone there was covering their a$$.

Here is something I didn't know. The employees there, all try to make a quota. If they make their quota, they receive a bonus. And for every lawsuit that comes by, they end up losing that bonus.

This is also the reason why they are so aggressive at selling you transmission flushes and other ***** you don't need.

Luckily, Kennedy w/ Premier Automotive was able to repair my problem.

I'm not going to go to small claims, as it isn't worth my time for the small amount of $$$ that this case is. It isn't worth it. But I thought it was worth the time to post here to worn everyone of the jacka$$es that work at Jiffy Lube.

There is a good reason why you see tv stations bust Jiffy Lube for ***** every year. This is one of the cases, that isn't in the news...

I have an invoice and pictures to prove what I say.
Old 08-05-06, 10:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Jiffy Lube never does anything write.If I saw Jiffy today, i'd kick him in the nuts (Jiffy exists? lol)

All I know is that no one does my oil changes except me, and maybe one or two other people.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-05-06, 10:39 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

thanks for the heads up. I am not going to that one for sure!
Old 08-06-06, 12:40 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about... DO NOT go to ANY Jiffy Lube, period.
Old 08-06-06, 01:33 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Update: As of this moment, I have a slight leak from my oil pan. Not sure if the oil pan can be repaired at this point. Will contact Kennedy w/ Premier automotive again.

A quick Google search finds another individual earlier this year that experienced the same problem at the SAME Jiffy Lube location earlier this year (in March 2006)!!!

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=6

And for the record, I HIGHLY recommend Kennedy w/ Premier Automotive. His shop is absolutely one of the best when it comes to my automotive needs.
Old 08-06-06, 08:27 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Thanks for the updates. I would never go to a Jiffy Lube after seeing your post. The savings aren't worth the risk that they would screw my car. Again, Feel sorry for your predicament. Keep us updated.
Old 08-06-06, 11:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you arent the first.

search for "jiffy lube" in these forums and youl find a TON of people who were raped/attempted rape by JL.
Old 08-06-06, 11:20 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sadly, these scenarios occur with far more frequency with the zombies at these places. They mess it up then make you pay for it.
Old 08-06-06, 12:59 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
How about... DO NOT go to ANY Jiffy Lube, period.
+1

Never trust "Jipped & Rude"...

Last time I went to get a smog check in my BMW, I went to a test center that happened to be next to a Jiffy Lube (same plaza). The JL employees took notice of the car and came over to check out my mods. While I was waiting, the "recommended" that after the smog check, I shouldget a coolant flush, oil change, diff-service, and new tranny fluid. I politely declined, informing them that only I and my friend certified BMW master Tech friend, (Joe @ The M Shop (Eagle Rock)) service my car. I told them I had just serviced the car 2 months ago and they PERSISTANTLY INSISTED that I was due for another service. Come-on, 2 months and 2K miles later and I have to do what? Bulltish...

They are always trying to make an extra buck at customers expense. Even when service is not necessary. I couldn't beleive they would actually go as far as to walk over to the smog center to try to sell me service. Just irritating....
Old 08-06-06, 03:50 PM
flyfl1pguy

HOw about this. . . You want to learn more about jiffy lube in s.CA. . . Watch the video. . .

JIFFY LUBE

Here's another one from different station.

Jiffy Lube
Old 08-06-06, 04:26 PM
Budd28
Rookie

Holy ****, I knew places like that could be shady but that just takes it to a whole new level watching that first video. I think after anyone watches that they will never take their car there ever.
Old 08-06-06, 10:37 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Flyfl1p, how recent was the NBC broadcast? Was it within 3 months or so? I am surprised that Jiffy Lube would pull tish like that... They are supposed to be reputable... People pay extra to have oil change there because of their reputation. Damn... I'm never going there again.
Old 08-06-06, 10:50 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

wow this is crazy.. wut has the world come to these days..
Old 08-07-06, 02:48 AM
BlueKush86
Pole Position

wow thats shady... i was going to take my car there for a tranny flush too... good thing i didnt.
Old 08-07-06, 09:06 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

NBC 4 (in Los Angeles) busted JIffy Lube earlier this year....
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8881193/detail.html

Sigh..

I may pursue small claims (if the repair work keeps adding up). If anyone has experience doing so, please contact me.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: DO NOT go to Jiffy Lube in Arcadia (corner of Huntington & Santa Anita)