CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Who in LA teaches to drive stick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 10:15 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who in LA teaches to drive stick?

Does anyone know a good driving school or an instructor in Los Angeles that can teach how to professionally drive stick shift? I used to drive stick before, but I had my last stick shift car 16 years ago, and I was just an average stick driver.
Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-08-06, 12:14 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what do you mean by professionally driving stick? what do you want to drive?
Old 06-08-06, 12:34 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's not that hard. I learned by myself through trial and error. Do you have a friend who can help you?
Old 06-08-06, 06:51 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by meZoom!
what do you mean by professionally driving stick? what do you want to drive?
Let's say Subaru WRX Sti, or BMW M3. Those only come in stick version, don't they?
Old 06-08-06, 06:54 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yeah, it's not that hard. I learned by myself through trial and error. Do you have a friend who can help you?
Unfortunately all my friends have large comfy automatic sedans and SUVs, and I don't have anyone to teach me to the level above average
Old 06-08-06, 07:27 AM
KAME
Driver

Are we talking about race driving, or just everyday driving? Heal-toe and double-clutching?

Where are you located?
Old 06-08-06, 07:35 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by KAME
Are we talking about race driving, or just everyday driving? Heal-toe and double-clutching?

Where are you located?

More of a race driving, definitely something above average. I'm in Los Angeles, Studio City to be exact.
Old 06-08-06, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

imho driving stick is more of an experience, meaning you need to drive more to master it well, not just a training would help

what i mean is that you should first of all learn how to drive a stick, which seems like you should be (from 10+ yrs ago). after that, you need to have a car that you can practice on day in and day out. you need to be able to "connect" yourself to the car, so you know how to shift smoothly, fast, etc... without thinking.

at that point then you can get a bit more guidance on how to launch, heel toe, double clutch, putting rpm with your corner speed, etc...

and those stuff, it's not like something a good driver can teach you right the way. you have to be well prepared yourself first
Old 06-08-06, 08:58 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Back when I took driving school it was something like $500 to do your lessons in a manual car. (Because they basically replaced the clutch when you were done...) But I'm sure any of the racing schools (at various tracks in SoCal, Vegas, AZ) would be a good place to learn, heal toe, etc.

Google Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc. Or go to the websites for Willow Springs or Buttonwillow.
Old 06-08-06, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa supra
Back when I took driving school it was something like $500 to do your lessons in a manual car. (Because they basically replaced the clutch when you were done...) But I'm sure any of the racing schools (at various tracks in SoCal, Vegas, AZ) would be a good place to learn, heal toe, etc.

Google Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc. Or go to the websites for Willow Springs or Buttonwillow.
damn, 500 bucks?! that's outrages imho.... crazy man.... if someone buys a manual i would even be willing to teach them stick shift for free.... one afternoon and you are done...

seriously stick shift isn't something that hard to learn.

back in 3 yrs. we bought our is300, first ever manual. i learned stick shift 10 yrs ago, but never drove one until the day we bought the car. i just drove it off the lot and never a problem. i used it to teach my wife how to drive stick shift and she learned it after 6 hours, and started driving it like normal.

never a problem with the clutch. maybe we are too smart? just kidding
Old 06-08-06, 09:17 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Just get the m3 with smg and you will be fine. It's like a stick but there is no clutch.
Old 06-08-06, 09:37 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
imho driving stick is more of an experience, meaning you need to drive more to master it well, not just a training would help

what i mean is that you should first of all learn how to drive a stick, which seems like you should be (from 10+ yrs ago). after that, you need to have a car that you can practice on day in and day out. you need to be able to "connect" yourself to the car, so you know how to shift smoothly, fast, etc... without thinking.

at that point then you can get a bit more guidance on how to launch, heel toe, double clutch, putting rpm with your corner speed, etc...

and those stuff, it's not like something a good driver can teach you right the way. you have to be well prepared yourself first

AMEN BROTHER!

AMEN!
Old 06-08-06, 11:00 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

When I bought my FD3S when I was 19 (almost 7 years ago now!), I really didn't have that much experience with stick, but had been very determined to get the car after saving up a nice chunk of change.

I decided to force myself to learn fast by throwing myself into the hell that is the 405 South @ rush hours after taking it off the lot.

It was a very sexy looking car that I had just saved up for, I didn't want to damage it, and I especially didn't want to look like an idiot stalling it out in front of everyone. The pressure and stress of not hurting the car/embarassing myself got me through the day fine, and I learned the car fairly quickly.

The next day I took the day off of work, and spent the day traversing Malibu/Mulholland without a hitch and becoming a lot closer with the car

Worked for me, but it probably doesn't apply to everyone

If you've already driven stick before, it should still be second nature. Once you know the clutch pick up point, it's pretty simple from there and shouldn't be long until it becomes second nature.

I've taught a few new drivers how to drive stick. Easiest way is to clutch in, put it in gear, slowly let your foot off the clutch, and once the car starts rolling, start playing with how much gas you should apply. Once you find that point, it's pretty simple from there. You just have to do it, and do it often.
Old 06-08-06, 10:00 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Thank you, guys for replies and advices.
Old 06-08-06, 10:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
More of a race driving, definitely something above average. I'm in Los Angeles, Studio City to be exact.
I'd teach you for a free lunch, I'm right over the hill from you in Hollywood. But where would we ge a car? lol

Quick Reply: Who in LA teaches to drive stick?