Powder coating... (The Mother thread) - Page 4 - Club Lexus Forums


Powder coating... (The Mother thread)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-12, 12:15 PM   #46
peyman
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (6)
 
peyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS25Heaven View Post
^ just hit up wheel flip like everyone is saying
my thread was merged into this thread, didnt see those previous post til now. NICE!!
THX to the mod that moved me here. wasnt aware of this "mother thread"
peyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 03:10 AM   #47
Whitena
Pole Position
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ca
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any recommendations for powder coating for just center piece of a set of 20" bbs lm reps?
Whitena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 09:15 PM   #48
lsvtec
Lead Lap
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also have a set of 18" centers (faces) only and need to powercoat
lsvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:45 PM   #49
isbbq
Driver
iTrader: (12)
 
isbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 洛杉磯Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Any powder coating shop around 626 area

Any one know where can powder coat wheels around 626 area or any recommend?? I only found one on craigslist $199 for 4 wheels whole page of his ad. any one went to that place to do powder coat their wheels and feedback?? Thanks!!!!
isbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 05:30 PM   #50
Meraki Autoworks
Lexus Enthusiast/Vendor
iTrader: (5)
 
Meraki Autoworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default socal powdercoat

can anyone recommend a good wheel powdercoating shop.. looking to pay 2-300 for stripping, powdercoat, tire dismount and mount.. asap responses please, or im going to revolution tires for 320 on thursday.
__________________


"Meraki Autoworks is an international one stop shop to turn your vision into a reality."

Text us for a quote! 213 394 2886
Email: Info@Meraki-Autoworks.com
Shop Builds: '10 ISF, '15 IS250 F-Sport, '16 RC200T
Meraki Autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 05:37 PM   #51
estribo
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ca
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

primo powder coating in huntington beach
estribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 07:08 PM   #52
anxiouz
Lead Lap
iTrader: (9)
 
anxiouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've seen signs off the 55fwy between the 405 and 5 for a powder-coating place.

If you find a good deal please post back the price range. I may be interested myself... :-)
anxiouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 06:36 PM   #53
sananikone
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (1)
 
sananikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tire dismounting/remounting - $15 per tire @ 8 times ( 4x dismount & 4x remount)= $120
Cold strip - roughly $80-$100
Powder coating - Roughly $120

Total over estimated rough ballpark - $340 after bargaining you should be able to get them to $300 CASH easily.

Even though I'm over estimating costs, I would say you're getting a pretty decent deal since costs wont fluctuate much more than $20-$40 depending on shop. HOWEVER, the most important part is to MAKE SURE that who ever strips your wheels (shops often outsource this part) is doing a cold chemical strip. Cold chemical strips protect and ensure the metallurgical structure and compounds in your wheels are not altered or destroyed like they would be in a hot chemical strip. Hot chemical strips can cause and are notorious for causing wheel failure on anything from a stock manufactured cast wheel to high grade T6 6061 forged aluminum wheels. They literally crack from stress loads they would prior be able to handle.

These chemical strips are essentially what they sound like, a cold temperature liquid chemical strip, and a hot liquid chemical strip. The cold costs a little bit more because it doesn't need a heating agent to activate chemicals, where as the hot strip requires pretty excessive amounts of heat in order to activate the chemicals for them to do their jobs. This heat exposure is what alters the metal compounds in the wheels.

- I used to work for a large named forged wheel company that I'd rather keep undisclosed. hope this helps you and best of luck!
sananikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 06:39 PM   #54
sananikone
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (1)
 
sananikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
I've seen signs off the 55fwy between the 405 and 5 for a powder-coating place.

If you find a good deal please post back the price range. I may be interested myself... :-)
If i remember correctly this place doesn't do wheels due to oven capacity size. I think they specialized more in component parts for stuff like chassis and suspension and motorcycle frames etc. I could be wrong though and we simply didn't use them due to high cost, worth checking out or giving a call!
sananikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 08:50 PM   #55
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
iTrader: (10)
 
PureDrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: California
Posts: 23,644
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

most good powdercoating places only work on bare rims.

Was at Porter Powdercoating in Anaheim today, huge shop and good selection, solid pricing as I was told.
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 01:40 AM   #56
Meraki Autoworks
Lexus Enthusiast/Vendor
iTrader: (5)
 
Meraki Autoworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananikone View Post
Tire dismounting/remounting - $15 per tire @ 8 times ( 4x dismount & 4x remount)= $120
Cold strip - roughly $80-$100
Powder coating - Roughly $120

Total over estimated rough ballpark - $340 after bargaining you should be able to get them to $300 CASH easily.

Even though I'm over estimating costs, I would say you're getting a pretty decent deal since costs wont fluctuate much more than $20-$40 depending on shop. HOWEVER, the most important part is to MAKE SURE that who ever strips your wheels (shops often outsource this part) is doing a cold chemical strip. Cold chemical strips protect and ensure the metallurgical structure and compounds in your wheels are not altered or destroyed like they would be in a hot chemical strip. Hot chemical strips can cause and are notorious for causing wheel failure on anything from a stock manufactured cast wheel to high grade T6 6061 forged aluminum wheels. They literally crack from stress loads they would prior be able to handle.

These chemical strips are essentially what they sound like, a cold temperature liquid chemical strip, and a hot liquid chemical strip. The cold costs a little bit more because it doesn't need a heating agent to activate chemicals, where as the hot strip requires pretty excessive amounts of heat in order to activate the chemicals for them to do their jobs. This heat exposure is what alters the metal compounds in the wheels.

- I used to work for a large named forged wheel company that I'd rather keep undisclosed. hope this helps you and best of luck!
hes charging 15 to dismount and mount and balance tires for 60 there
i think 50 per wheel for stripping
and the rest of the money towards powdecoating, but im getting 8 wheels done with a friend so i think hes gonna knock the down price a little but i will ask him about the cold chemical stripping.. thanks for the heads up.
__________________


"Meraki Autoworks is an international one stop shop to turn your vision into a reality."

Text us for a quote! 213 394 2886
Email: Info@Meraki-Autoworks.com
Shop Builds: '10 ISF, '15 IS250 F-Sport, '16 RC200T
Meraki Autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 02:00 PM   #57
terrycs
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Nu-Tec Powder Coating in Anaheim.

They do work for several wheel manufacturers.
terrycs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 04:23 PM   #58
sananikone
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (1)
 
sananikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrycs View Post
Nu-Tec Powder Coating in Anaheim.

They do work for several wheel manufacturers.
Yup. Nutec, New Year Metal, and Olympic all do PC for socal based wheel manufacturers

Linco does strip

M&G does brushing/polishing
sananikone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powder coating Miami area. JBLUR Florida Lexus Club 3 03-12-14 09:03 PM
Any powder coating shop around 626 area isbbq IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 2 04-12-13 11:44 PM
powder coat xilent IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 0 10-04-12 02:22 PM
Powder Coating? fleadog99 North Texas Lexus Club 13 09-10-09 01:34 PM
1 Stop Powder Coating and Brake Installation GunnerMac Suspension and Brakes 7 07-26-02 05:40 PM


Tags
909, beach, ca, calif, california, coat, coating, cost, forum, hawaii, hours, isf, la, lexus, long, oc, places, pomona, pouder, powder, powdercoat, powdercoated, powdercoating, power, primo, rainn, ralph, rims, shops, socal, southern, tws, wheel, wheelflip, wheels, wright

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved