CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Best Place To Detail Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 01:34 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Place To Detail Engine

I have an SC300 with a really dirty engine bay that needs to be detailed. Since there are some horror stories about how the 2JZ motor having problems after gettin it washed down, where is the best place to get it done in Orange County at a good price. With my last car, I just soak the entire bay with Simple Green and hose it off and never had a problem.
Old 07-13-05, 09:39 AM
groovinSc3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to know also. im scared to do it myself with the 1jz in my car even though i've done it before on my old motor.
Old 07-13-05, 10:03 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Do it yourself, get a degreaser and make sure you dont soak the spark plug covers, electronics, or get soap on any rubber (belts etc..)

Cover all electronics, sparkplug cover, and belts with Seran (sp?) wrap and use towels to cover up the belts. Then use a lightly fine mist spray from afar and clean it with a brush.
Old 07-13-05, 11:39 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Call Beto's auto body shop in Fullerton.... sounds strange but they have this one detailer there and he's THE best with cleaning the engine bay. I have a detailer who comes to my work place to do the detail my cars, but when it comes to the engine section, I take my cars to Beto's shop and have him clean the engine bay alone.

Beto shop 714-447-8371, say Jay sent ya !!

JAY
Old 07-13-05, 07:07 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy who works at toyota told me to never detail hte engine,,,, he said what happens is the dirt and grime get caught inside all the wire harnesses and start to mess everything up........... but its up to you if you trust somebody enough,,,,i wouldnt do it yourself, cause if they mess it up, its on them....
Old 07-20-05, 09:41 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

best place is your driveway.....

DO it ONCE & then just keep it up.. .is is a bit messy but NOT terribly difficult just a bit tedious when you have alot of gtrime 7 dirt to clean off & what not...

but it is well worth it if you do it & then just keep it clean .\

Plus mechanics LOVE it

see what I mean... it has looked this way since day one... well aside from all the MODS..o'course.... but the cleanliness is exacty like it was when brand new & stock ....... 3 years ago....

one more for good measure...

PS: unless you are stoopid enough to blast your motor & wiring harness etc with a pressure washer...... i have never seen nor had an issue with a detailed engine having problems from detailing it etc.... sounds like one guy screwed something uo by doing something stoopid & then decided detailing an engine is " BAAADD" prett ysilly if you ask me .... a little common sense goes a long way...

Last edited by edgy; 07-20-05 at 09:47 PM.