CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Those without front license plates...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 12:09 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those without front license plates...

any of you guys ever get hassled by cops?

how about those of you who hang them on your dash?

I've personally had my stock bodied (just lowered and rims) sc3 w/out a front plate for a year now with no problems....

but now my car is a different story and sorta (hehe sorta) calls for attention.... i'm wondering if i should bolt that front plate now that i have body kit and CF hood
Old 02-02-05, 12:45 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine bolted to my stock front. I advise against putting the plate in the windshield, I read somewhere (forgot when/where), that things get ugly if you have a passenger and get in a head on collision, ie. the plate cuts them in/off their head? Just speculation, don't know if it has ever happened.
Old 02-02-05, 09:23 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

i ran w/o a front plate for over 20 yrs 'til a couple of months ago when a local cop pulled me over for modifed exhaust and no front plate.... told him that the exhaust was factory aftermarket (L-tuned exh) - let me go on that.... then whatabout the front plate... told him that i didn't like how it looked....?!? told me to put it on this weekend and that the next time he sees me, he better see it on there.... end of story. bolted it on the bottom grill (so i don't have to drill into the bumper)... looks okay?
Old 02-02-05, 11:46 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by juniorsdad
a local cop pulled me over for modifed exhaust and no front plate.... told him that the exhaust was factory aftermarket (L-tuned exh) - let me go on that....

wow he fell for that... if i ever get pulled over, mine is going to be the special wald edition lexus. straight from the dealer like that. ive been going w/o a front plate for a while. i just keep my plate in my trunk. i think the only way ur going to get written up for it is if u get pulled over for somthing else and then they notice the plate missing
Old 02-02-05, 12:03 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

i have had my car without a front license plate and have had no problems yet
i know people who have had problems though
i guess it all depends on the cop and the reason why you got pulled over
and also how you act with the cop when he pulls you over
Old 02-02-05, 12:07 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cops pulled me over for front license plate numerous times so i just ended up putting euro ones on...

dont know if that's illegal, but if i ever get pulled over for it, i'll be sure to let you guys know.
Old 02-02-05, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cop pulled my wife over the first day she drove the gs4 without the front plate, talk about chances?
Old 02-02-05, 01:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've been stopped just for not having a front plate. Then they ask if you have been drinking...blah-blah. Leads to a whole list of things they look for including warrants. I wouldn't want to do anything that encourages them to stop you in the first place.

The windshield thing is a no-no. It has to be "affixed" to the "front" of the car along with some other verbage of similar nature. There are placement and height issues where a license plate can be seen and the front window is way off. IMO a front license plate on the windshield looks worse than having it on the bumper.

As another posted, it is also a safety hazard if you crash the car and it becomes a projectile inside.
Old 02-02-05, 03:16 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just lobbing oranges from my tree at the parking enforcement ****'s earlier this week over this very thing!!! In the past 2 months I've gotten 3 tickets for no front plate. All of them given to me by parking enforcement, not by the actual cops. They're only $25 so I just pay them and never put the front plate on. I know it's some busta sucka chump parking officer who's targeting my car in the neighborhood because the same punk has given me 2 of the 3 tickets. I refuse to put a front plate on...I just can't do it.

When I had my 240sx these cops came flying out of the parking lot of the KFC by USC on Figueroa and pulled me over. I was stopped in a turn lane and they pulled me over. Then they ticketed me for no front plate. I ended up selling the car because I got screwed with so much about little stuff like that.

I have a nice spot on my back porch where I can safely throw oranges at them whenever I see them driving by. I love having an orange tree!! ha ha!
Old 02-02-05, 04:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have not been bothered by cops yet for my tint or my front plate. But it is probably because I have a stock bodied Sc300 with stock rims. Once I get some rims and a drop, I hope I dont get pulled over for anything (knock on wood).
Old 02-02-05, 10:29 PM
ajs14
Driver

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
cops pulled me over for front license plate numerous times so i just ended up putting euro ones on...

dont know if that's illegal, but if i ever get pulled over for it, i'll be sure to let you guys know.
I've been around a number of cops and don't hassle me w/o a front plate. I'm wondering also if putting a euro or japanese plate is better than no plate at all After I put the goodies on I'm putting it on..it's not work the extra hassle...
Old 02-02-05, 10:44 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea see thats what i'm saying.... now that i mos definately stick out.... i'm worried about getting pulled just for that sole reason...

maybe its time my cool JDM plate holder (its the ones that swing back when you're going fast enough to let max air flow.... and then just hand down when you're not moving) comes to use
Old 02-03-05, 04:09 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I was just lobbing oranges from my tree at the parking enforcement ****'s earlier this week over this very thing!!!

I have a nice spot on my back porch where I can safely throw oranges at them whenever I see them driving by. I love having an orange tree!! ha ha!
LOL...I thought you were kidding when I read the first sentence of your post. That's awesome!
Old 02-03-05, 05:34 PM
rz_racer
Driver

Default JDM plate holder

Where can I get one of those cool JDM plate holders?

thanks
Old 02-03-05, 10:15 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

*knock on wood* but I have had no front plate for the past 6 months.

Quick Reply: Those without front license plates...