CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Fix it ticket (No license plate / tint)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 10:18 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix it ticket (No license plate / tint)

Please move if this is not in the right forum....

Well, I guess it was bound to happen, I got my first fix it ticker in my Lex. Got it in Hacienda Heights @ 1:00 AM. The cops were out and enforce ....besides me, there was a car pulled about half a block in front of me and another across the street. Quota? What Quota?

Anyway, I heard that it's possible to just pay the fine for the infractions without have to actually fix it. Is this true?

One of my friends told me that he paid $90 for his fix it tix for tint. So, I'll probably just do that if it's possible. Anyone know if I can do that for the front license plate and what it would cost? I was also thinking of doing the DIY bracket that Rominl did or getting a German plate. Are the German plates legal in CA?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, on the ticket, for the No front License Plate, for Correctable Violation, it's marked "yes", but for the Tinted front windows, it's marked "no", what does that mean?

I should've asked the cop, but it was late, I was tired and didn't want to bother with it.

Last edited by r00kie; 07-12-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 10:47 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front windows you have to remove the tint. No front tinting allowed in this state. License plate you just have to put it back on and go to your local police station to get someone to sign off on it. Don't go to sheriffs at the courthouse, they charge you for the inspection.

From my personal experience of Correctable Violations: (1) they (CHP) stepped outside saw my car and just signed off on it. (2) they (Fountain Valley PD) was too lazy to even step outside and just signed off anyway.
Old 07-12-04, 11:08 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Quotas... They are against the law. It is now called Career Advancement and Job Security.
Old 07-12-04, 11:44 AM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

do you know any cops? or anyone that works in law enforcement? As long as they sign the back of the ticket, you won't have to fix anything or pay anything. i know my friend uses his cop-neighbor for fix-it tickets, and he's saved a grip of time and money..
Old 07-12-04, 06:24 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2jzsc3
do you know any cops? or anyone that works in law enforcement? As long as they sign the back of the ticket, you won't have to fix anything or pay anything. i know my friend uses his cop-neighbor for fix-it tickets, and he's saved a grip of time and money..
Thanks for the replies fellas....with regards to the above post.....hook it up!
Old 07-14-04, 09:50 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ntran18
Front windows you have to remove the tint. No front tinting allowed in this state. License plate you just have to put it back on and go to your local police station to get someone to sign off on it. Don't go to sheriffs at the courthouse, they charge you for the inspection.

From my personal experience of Correctable Violations: (1) they (CHP) stepped outside saw my car and just signed off on it. (2) they (Fountain Valley PD) was too lazy to even step outside and just signed off anyway.

Actually 70% on the fronts is now Legal in CA.

my buddy had 35% on his fronts removed it himself and then went to pay the ticket , they never even checked his car... he was pissed.

not to say they won't check though.

good luck hope you get around that stupid law.
Old 07-14-04, 01:19 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot about that, but @ 70% it's barely there. Pointless to even tint at that level.

Exact same thing in my case. Spent time removing it myself and they didn't even look.
Old 07-14-04, 02:13 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

there is a 25% legal tint out there made by Llumar. you get a certificate and everything
Old 07-16-04, 01:44 AM
newbn27
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I was able to keep tint on my jetta a couple of years back... I got pulled over in my SC4 for my tint and plates on 4th of july... (Glendale, CA) If anyone knows either the price to keep the tint or someone to sign it off let me know.

Last edited by newbn27; 07-16-04 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-16-04, 08:51 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by newbn27
I was able to keep tint on my jetta a couple of years back... I got pulled over in my SC4 for my tint and plates on 4th of july... (Glendale, CA) If anyone knows either the price to keep the tint or someone to sign it off let me know.

the cop pulled you over just for your tint/ plate?

Old 07-16-04, 09:26 AM
I DOGG
Driver

Thumbs down Cops

So fuc*ing lame.
U should do what I do, put your middle finger in the air,
and hit the gas!

L8der!
Old 07-24-04, 11:34 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default If you're handy with a wrench and screw driver,

a better alternative.

Legally, you don't have to have side windows. What I do when I get tint tickets is simply pull the door panels and remove the windows. Couple of 10MM nuts the it removes from the lift, a second set of 10MM nuts to remove the two "stops" so it can be pulled out..

If your Lex doesn't have the holes in the front bumper for mounting the stock license bracket. I'd just get some double stick tape (like body shops use to put on side moldings and mount it to the front. Best if you don't use any type of frame to avoid the nuts scratching the paint. IF they hassle you, your justification is that if the tape is appropriate to mount the side moldings, shouldn't be any issue for a light piece of thin metal.

Once the windows are out and plate firmly taped to the front bumper, you're legal enough to get your ticket signed off. Go to any police/highway patrol station and get it signed off. Then go home and put your windows back in and carefully remove the plate so you don't damage the paint.. Tape shoujld come off easy if it hasn't been on there very long.

As I recall, Sheriff charge to sign off, Highway Patrol doesn't. Also, no matter how many fix it's you've got on your ticket, only one $10 dismissal fee if you get everything signed off prior to going to court house.

Last edited by dahozzman; 07-24-04 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 08:34 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

hey bro funny!!!! i just got the same exact ticket but I dont have a rear plate I have my DUB plate instead I guess i gotta pay the fine cuz im not going to take off my tint..
Old 08-01-04, 10:02 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Why don't you borrow a friend's stock white GS and switch the plates. The cops will never know. That's what I did with my Legend back in the day. And where did you get pulled over in Hacienda? i've never been harrassed that bad over here. Usually these sheriffs just cruise on by.
Old 08-03-04, 01:56 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 2 license-plate tickets before.

First ticket I went to Longo Lexus to ask them to install my bracket (I was dumb) and the valet guy told me to use wire-ties to tie it to the lower-bumper with the horizontal bars. I did and it works, although it's kinda low.

I went to my local police station, charged $10 for examination (not my own city), but the guy never came out to inspect. It was lunch time and he's eating so I guess he got lazy. He asked me if I have the plates on, I said yes do you need to inspect it, the car's outside, he said it's ok.

Second time I tried the same trick. However this time at my local city, there's no charge but the guy came out to check. He saw it and said "You're gonna cut the wire ties when you get home right?" I said no I already had the ticket twice, this time it stays on. He laughed and said "you liar", signed my ticket and said "be careful next time." Really cool young man.

so I got lucky both times. But ya. I hope I have a cop neighbor. He'll get lots of baked cookies from me.

Quick Reply: Fix it ticket (No license plate / tint)