CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

People from California - please help??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 11:50 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default People from California - please help??

Guys/Girls,

My friend and I are looking at moving to California at the start of next year and were wanting some input on where we should start looking at living. We have both only been to California once, both to San Diego/LA. Right now we live in Tulsa, OK.

Although we would like to live in S.D, it is just too expensive for right now. She is experienced in consumer banking and I have my degree in Advertising/Sales and experience in Sales.

Size isn't important to us as much as a somewhat decent area is. Can anyone suggest anywhere that may be suited to us?? Thank you,

Jonny
Old 06-15-04, 12:49 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you guys looking to rent or buy? that would help...

I know that either way, stay away from Orange County. The median price for a 2 bedroom apartment is roughly around $1200 already. Renting a house is roughly $2000 a month depending on area. If you want to live in a somewhat ghetto, then price should be reduced significantly.

If you move to Riverside county, then it should be a cheaper.
Old 06-15-04, 03:07 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

SD or the South Bay for LA is where you want to go...everywhere is expensive, but with two of you, you'll be fine! You will just need to get used to the fact that housing will make up the bulk of your expenses...quite the opposite from Tulsa. Over time everything will djust itself and you will be fine...just pick somewhere you enjoy. If you liked the beach I would suggest:

San Diego - La Jolla
Orange County - Newport Beach/Huntington Beach
LA - Hermosa/Manhattan Beach
Santa Monica

You can also consider the cities just outside these beach communities as they themselves are usually quite small, thus not far from the beach.

There are lots of choices, and it will be pricey, but worth it. Median home prices are at $400K in LA County right now...so nothings really too cheap...you just won't have a lot of extra $$$ to mod the car.
Old 06-15-04, 03:12 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Are you renting or buying? In the Bay Area a nice 2-bedroom apartment runs from $1800/month in the suburbs to $4500/month in the city. You can find rock-bottom 2-bed apartments for like $1000/month. If you're buying, a condo starts at $250,000 up to $450,000, unless you qualify for low-income housing ($120,000+). The cheapest living in CA is probably around the Sacramento area, or any outlying sprawl cities in the state.

Last edited by lex400sc; 06-15-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 03:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the most part, be prepared for some sticker shock. I love living in CA but the dollar just doesn't seem to go as far here.
Old 06-15-04, 03:26 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should try in the San Bernadino area such as Alta Loma and Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 06-15-04, 05:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

Thank you everyone for your input this far. As far as buying/renting goes - I would say that we would be renting to begin with, and then we would buy when we could afford to live separately.

All opinions are appreciated,

PEace

Jonny
Old 06-15-04, 05:36 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

LA ?? too expensive and people with attitudes !!!
SD ?? too many cops and too many civics !!!
Orange County ?? Pretty coo... nice weather !!
Fullerton ??? YEAH !!!! hahahah... b/c I live there !!! Nice people, nice cars and right by Cal State Fullerton, so alots alots alots of beautiful women !!!!!!! And more chicks !!!

My opinions of course !!!

JAY

Old 06-15-04, 05:41 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Jay
LA ?? too expensive and people with attitudes !!!
SD ?? too many cops and too many civics !!!
Orange County ?? Pretty coo... nice weather !!
Fullerton ??? YEAH !!!! hahahah... b/c I live there !!! Nice people, nice cars and right by Cal State Fullerton, so alots alots alots of beautiful women !!!!!!! And more chicks !!!

My opinions of course !!!

JAY

it doesn't get more real than that... preach on brother Jay
Old 06-15-04, 06:14 PM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

It would probably help to narrow down your area to at least Northern, Southern, or Central California. Both areas have high-rent districts and areas where bargains and value can be found.

NorCal/Bay Area
Sacramento:
Housing - You can find great bargains for renting or owning a house in the Sac area.
Weather - Ranges from very hot in the summer, almost freezing in the winter.
Activities - Outdoor stuff - skiing, snowboarding, water skiing. Not the best IMO for restaurants, theatres, and nightlife.

Bay Area:
Housing - The closer to San Fran or San Jose you are the more you are gonna pay period. Values can be found in very outlying cities.
Weather - Mild year around. Gets Hot inland and very chilly on the coast. Do not even think of wearing shorts to San Fran during the summer.
Activities - Anything your heart desires. You name it, we probably got it.

SoCal
LA:
Housing - LA is pretty much sectioned off into cities and neighborhoods where rent can vary in wide ranges based on location. It would be best to choose an area close to potential job sites and your recreation needs. (closer to the beach, or closer to downtown, closer to shopping)
Weather: Mild year around, hot during the summer
Activities: Anything and everything. Outdoors types don't have far to drive to get anywhere either.

Orange County:
Housing: IMO Orange County is more suburban compared to LA. Nicer freeways, less smog, and a little less crowded than LA.
Weather: Mild year around, hot during the summer
Activities: Anything and everything. I put Orange County in another section as folks from OC hate to be associated with LA, well at least the people I know.

SD:

Housing - San Diego is quickly pricing alot of people out of the market. A buddy of mine is looking in the $500K range and still cannot even look at a new house. Alot of nice condos and apartments up and down the coast.
Weather: Best weather in the state IMO. Just chalk up 75 degrees with clear skies for about 11 and a half months of the year.
Activities: Gaslamp District, Mexico, Beaches, 4 hour drive to the snow, ~6 hour drive to Vegas..what else do you need?

If you want info on Central Cali such as Monterey or even out towards Fresno and Bakersfield let me know.

Hope this helps...had some time to burn while waiting for traffic to die down at work.

Last edited by MarkMacGS4; 06-15-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 07:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You both have a broad background that can place you nearly anywhere in the state. If you have some specific industries in mind, we may be able to suggest areas. Commuting around here is a PITA and getting you close to your territory or work would be preffered.

If your company has a relocation service, by all means take advantage of it.
Old 06-15-04, 08:47 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Sacramento is a nice place to start off with if you are looking for affordable rent and decent area. Alot of bay area folks moved down to Sacramento and bought houses for a cheaper price, while still driving to working in the bay area. Sacramento is growing pretty fast during the past year. I love the bay area, but I don't think I can live there for it's too expensive and I'm not use to the busy city life. I now live in Fresno ( very boring place) and the rent there is very affordable. You can rent a decent 2 bed apartment for around $600-700. My 2 bed apartment is $400 a month, but the place doesn't look really attractive, but the important thing is that it's in a quiet and nice neighborhood, and it's affordable, that way I can go to college and still save a few bucks left, and afford to keep my LEXUS!!!
Old 06-16-04, 12:15 AM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

i agree with Lee (autocouturesc)

NOBODY! lives in Riverside you might want to start looking there if you plan to live in SoCal.
Old 06-16-04, 01:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

All of your advice/input is greatly appreciated. It is also great to see you guys so willing to take time out to help a fellow forum member.

Neither of us have jobs there yet, as none of our companies have offices outside of Oklahoma. We are hoping to have enough money put away to be able to live for a little while there while looking for a job and getting to know the area.

We are looking at Oceanside - anyone have any opinions on that?? We are looking at a 2 bedroom and wanting to spend around $1200-$1400. We would much prefer to be closer to the water than inland if at all possible.

Thank you once again, your advice is most appreciated.

Regards,

Jonny
Old 06-18-04, 09:18 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, that's where I just moved to Jonny. Oceanside is pretty cool, but I'm finding that there's not a whole lot going on here. Sure, I live 6 miles from the beach and the weather is great, but this seems to be more of a quiet middle aged family/military town. Prices here are a bit better though.
Maybe I'm just mad b/c I'm not finding any girls around here

Tim

Quick Reply: People from California - please help??