CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Brake rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 10:54 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake rotors and pads

I just got my car serviced today for 25k miles and they told me i need to replace my front rotors and my pads REALLY soon. Dont really know if its legit. Also when he told me the brake pads were german, it brought me down a bit. I thought they would be toyota. What the eff man? He also said its common for BMWs to replace the rotors and pads at around 25k-30k too.

So they quoted me $475. They said they'll put in new front rotors with Akebono brake pads, he said that toyota uses their brand. And he said it wont wear out my rotors as bad.

Has this happen to you 2IS owners?
Old 08-27-09, 02:54 AM
808is3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its under warranty then why not? though at 25k i don't see any reason why you'd need to change out both rotors and pads?! pads maybe but the rotors could be resurfaced if anything. who serviced your car? the dealer or an independant shop? and did they tell you how much thickness is left on the pads? as for the rotors, are they saying they're warped or something? and do your brakes fade? any noises, like squealing perhaps?

well personally, if your brakes still stop fine and make no such noises i'd say you're just fine... if anything go aftermarket
Old 08-27-09, 03:02 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

25K seems early for pads and rotor replacements....but I guess it all depends how you drive.
Old 08-27-09, 04:34 AM
UnLucky7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well imho from being a mechanic, PHML is right it all depends how you driven your car.
do u feel any type of shaking whether in the pedal or steering wheel when you brake?
if you look at your brake rotors are they glazed or have black heat spots on them?
if not your rotors are probably still alright.
but the service adviser is right with BMW brakes, because they have soft rotors and hard brake pads, the pads groove into the rotors and makes it too thin to resurface and must be replace, it isnt that big a problem for lexus.
$475 isnt a bad deal from the dealer with OEM parts. but if your rotors are ok and you want to get by with just slapping pads id go with some type of ceramic brake pad to help keep the stopping power and less noise...but yeah it sucks cause brakes are considered wear and tear so warranty doesnt cover it unless it was a BMW 50k maintenance which would still be free...
Old 08-27-09, 10:31 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the input.
I got my service from LXS Hawaii, those guys are the best.
Yeah they told me that my pads are about to go and they cant resurface the rotors. And there's 1mm left on the front pads? something like that. But my car's brakes squeek like crazy sometimes and there's no shaking or movement when I brake.

It sucks that its not under warranty. Crap.
Old 08-27-09, 01:11 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota, Scion and Lexus recommend brake pad replacement then the lining on the pad gets down to 1mm. Depending on the mileage and brake pad wear will dictate whether or not the pads need replacement. Also, like Pete stated it all depends on your driving habits and/or conditions.

I have replaced brakes at 15k miles on other some Toyota's and I even did one on a Tacoma with 5k miles.