2002 RX300 Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 11:11 AM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 RX300 Navigation Update

Hello!

I have a 2002 RX300 that I took delivery of in Dec 2001. The Nav is great but lately it positions me as being in Lake Michigan and sometimes the directions for previously driven routes are different.

I noticed that I have version 2000.1 so I took it my dealer, Woodfield Lexus, and asked if there was an updated DVD. I could swear there is but I was told that there was not. The dealer then recalibrated the Nav and sent me on my way.

The Nav problem was intermittent but I still feel slightly that I'm being had. I'm out of town right now but I know I have a link at home for a 2002-03 DVD for the RX300. It's super expensive and I don't feel I should have to pay for an update that should have occurred before I even took delivery of the vehicle!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-11-03, 04:45 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off tina, welcome to clublexus.....

jimxo or jim is one of the only chicago people with navi that i know of.......he might be of some help or tyler which is the resident lexus trainer.

i have navi but it's kenwood......that seems kinda funny that you have been positioned in the lake

good luck

Last edited by 2Lexos; 05-11-03 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-03, 05:13 PM
2Lexos

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...igation+update

just found this link.....check it out for more info tina
Old 05-11-03, 10:44 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tina welcome to CL

My wife's RX does not have Nav but my GS does. I have not had this problem so I cannot tell you what's going on, but I would think there has to be a fix some where for this

Tyler is a memeber of CL and he works for Lexus Corp in Naperville but he is out until May 19th or so.

I will email him your post so check back in a few days and see if he responds?

Hope to see you at one of our local CL meets
Old 05-12-03, 03:15 PM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks to all of you who replied I have been in Kansas City for the past few days and am just now getting back home.

It's funny, while this Nav issue is bothering the heck out of me, nothing could have been worse than what I endured during my drive to and from KC in my uncle's car, a BMW X5. He got his before me and I remember being so excited that it had a nav in it. Now, however, I am totally spoiled by my Lexus nav. It is superior by far. My uncle has been using my Lex these past few days and he told me he's quite jealous

Anyway, thanks again! I printed out the links about the updated nav and intend to use them as ammo with Woodfield Lexus. I'm so not in the mood for a fight but...
Old 05-12-03, 05:01 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Tina,

Unfortunately the nav systems are not perfect. Because of the build in error for the non-military use there is the possibility that your system could be off occasionally. Bad weather, tall buildings, underground and multiple-level garages will cause the system to loose the navigation signal and rely on its own guess. The nav upgrade will get you the newest maps, but not necessarily for Illinois region. It won't make the system more accurate. Last summer my system worked flawlessly, but during the winter it was off occasionally, by not a lot though. I believe this happened because of the weather. Lately I didn't pay attention if it got better, but I'm hoping it will work flawlessly once more.
Old 05-12-03, 05:50 PM
2Lexos

opps i forget that you had navi too chris.......i keep forgetting that you are a proud GS owner also
Old 05-12-03, 08:39 PM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

ChrisK, thank you for your valuable insight. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that I am not alone. When you think about it, it does make sense. I live on the east side of Sheridan Rd in a 45 story high rise so the chances of my nav going haywire are pretty strong, I suppose.

I'll admit, however, this issue led me to check what version DVD I had and now what is bugging me more than anything is the fact that I believe there's a newer version available. I actually use my nav for dining/shopping/etc locations and would like to have the most current information possible. I feel that Lexus should update their navs automatically and for free. As mentioned previously there is also an X5 in my family for which I always take in for servicing. BMW checks the nav and/or updates it for free everytime I bring it in - but it still sucks
Old 05-13-03, 08:34 AM
DIrEctQL

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by tina792
ChrisK, thank you for your valuable insight. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that I am not alone. When you think about it, it does make sense. I live on the east side of Sheridan Rd in a 45 story high rise so the chances of my nav going haywire are pretty strong, I suppose.

I'll admit, however, this issue led me to check what version DVD I had and now what is bugging me more than anything is the fact that I believe there's a newer version available. I actually use my nav for dining/shopping/etc locations and would like to have the most current information possible. I feel that Lexus should update their navs automatically and for free. As mentioned previously there is also an X5 in my family for which I always take in for servicing. BMW checks the nav and/or updates it for free everytime I bring it in - but it still sucks
Maybe Tyler will show up to one of our meets and you can talk to him about this sicne he's the expert.

I don't see a big deal about the updates anyway. Such an update should be done every 5 years at least. Usually the differences in the updates is so minor it's not worth going out of your way for them. Infact, sometimes the updates replace good maps of some areas with bad maps. They don't update any hardware so your GPS will function the same way as before.

GPS is excellent and almost close to perfect if you have specialized hardware (for example I have a measuring instrument at home that uses GPS to map coordanses with accuricy to 1 mm). To get accurate GPS device you need to pay lots of money. The GPS devices such as used for car navigation are usually cheaper and less accurate. Your GPS is most likely off by few good feet. If your location apears in the lake most likely it needs to be calibrated for the error margin of the GPS device.

Chris

PS. Forgive my spelling, I'm in a hurry.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 05-13-03 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-13-03, 09:06 AM
DIrEctQL

PS. Did you hear about Thailand's government official who got trapped in his BMW limo thanks to BMWs fine Microsoft powered computer? Form what I hear recent BMWs are all plauged with electronical issues.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 05-13-03 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-13-03, 09:33 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Tina,

Before upgrading ask the dealer or Tyler if the changes between the current version and version you have include updated Chicago area maps. There is a big possibility that the maps are exactly the same.
BMW does the updates for free for two reasons:
1. because of free maintenance all big 3 German car companies offer
2. because most likely it is so buggy they have to upgrade them more often.
Old 09-04-03, 10:27 AM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

Post Final Update on Nav Update

Howdy All!

Hate to drag up the past especially since I always get bi%ch-slapped when I post here but here's my final post:

I had a Nav upgrade issue earlier this year. I was getting conflicting information about whether or not an upgrade exists for my '02 RX 300. Well, after nearly 3 months I just received a call from Lexus Customer Svc saying, yes there is an upgrade but it will cost $600 - no deals, no breaks - 600 bucks for a DVD with some extra addresses on it. How obnoxious.

I drove this thing from Chicago to Key West and while it performed flawlessly, I must say, this phone call has turned me off big time. Six hundred dollars for a DVD...off to the underground market

Yeah yeah I know, I'm just some dumb broad who should drive around with the yellow pages if I want extra addresses. Whatever

I now return you to your cool, hip, macho forum.
Old 09-04-03, 11:37 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Final Update on Nav Update

Howdy All!

Hate to drag up the past especially since I always get bi%ch-slapped when I post here but here's my final post:

I had a Nav upgrade issue earlier this year. I was getting conflicting information about whether or not an upgrade exists for my '02 RX 300. Well, after nearly 3 months I just received a call from Lexus Customer Svc saying, yes there is an upgrade but it will cost $600 - no deals, no breaks - 600 bucks for a DVD with some extra addresses on it. How obnoxious.

I drove this thing from Chicago to Key West and while it performed flawlessly, I must say, this phone call has turned me off big time. Six hundred dollars for a DVD...off to the underground market

Yeah yeah I know, I'm just some dumb broad who should drive around with the yellow pages if I want extra addresses. Whatever

I now return you to your cool, hip, macho forum.
You get *****-slapped when you post here?

Chris
Old 09-04-03, 01:16 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Tina,

I was thinking about upgrading my old (99) nav software so I called Woodfield Lexus. The parts department told me that nav upgrade is not out yet and they don't know the pricing. I was told to ask about it in October. Since you talked to "Lexus Customer Svc", it could mean two things:
1. They are giving you BS so you leave them alone. We will know in about a month or so.
2. The nav upgrade is as expensive as they say. That means they just lost 2 sales, yours and mine.

Anyway, let's wait one month and see. I will keep you posted about my findings.
Old 10-03-03, 05:36 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Tina,

Here is the update. The new release will be available the second week of October. Chicago changes are minor. The price: DVD - $250, harddrive - $260.

Quick Reply: 2002 RX300 Navigation Update