Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Bill introduced to raise gas tax & registration fees ; creation of a road use tax

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 09:12 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts
Angry Bill introduced to raise gas tax & registration fees ; creation of a road use tax

Got this letter from SEMA-SAN earlier this week

Illinois Introduces Bill to Raise Gas Taxes/Create a Road User Tax and Raise Registration Fees

DON’T DELAY! Please request opposition for S.B. 3279 immediately from All Members Illinois Senate Executive Committee (Full List Below) by emailing now:

S.B. 3279 would establish a distance based road-user fee which would tax vehicles at a rate of 1.5 cents per mile traveled. Distance traveled would be calculated monthly, through a GPS tracking system, an odometer reading, or an annual flat rate of 450 dollars.

S.B. 3279 would, beginning on January 1, 2017, raise the tax on motor fuel from the current 19 cents per gallon to 49 cents per gallon, which would be rebated to Illinois residents.

S.B. 3279 would increase motor vehicle registration fees, including for antique vehicles and expanded-use antique vehicles.

In addition to creating privacy concerns, the bill seeks to penalize national efforts to create a more fuel efficient vehicle fleet by taxing drivers based on vehicle mileage. As gas tax revenues decrease due to hybrid and electric vehicle ownership, states are looking for new sources of funding for pet projects.
Overview: Legislation (S.B. 3279) to create a program that would require each owner or lessee of an Illinois-registered motor vehicle to pay a road user fee has been introduced. To determine individual tax rates, Illinois residence would be required to select one of three distance-based road user programs. The bill would also increase the gas tax and certain vehicle registration fees.

Link to the SEMA-SAN site where this info is posted:
http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=...paign=LegAlert

Illinois Senate Executive Committee

Senator Don Harmon
dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Ira I. Silverstein
isilverstein@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator James F. Clayborne, Jr.
jclayborne@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator John J. Cullerton
jcullerton@senatedem.illinois.gov

Senator Mattie Hunter
hunter@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Kimberly A. Lightford
slightfordsoffice@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Terry Link
TLink@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Antonio Muñoz
amunoz@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Kwame Raoul
senatorraoul@sbcglobal.net

Senator Heather A. Steans
hsteans@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Donne E. Trotter
dtrotter@senatedem.ilga.gov

Senator Matt Murphy
SenatorMattMurphy@gmail.com

Senator William E. Brady
billbrady@senatorbillbrady.com

Senator David S. Luechtefeld
sendavel@midwest.net

Senator Christine Radogno
christine@senatorradogno.com

Senator Sue Rezin
senatorrezin@gmail.com

Senator Dave Syverson
info@senatordavesyverson.com
Old 03-17-16, 09:15 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Here's the bill on the Illinois General Assembly site, where it can be followed

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...88&LegID=96631
Old 03-23-16, 05:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Couple details left out of the summary points:

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
S.B. 3279 would establish a distance based road-user fee which would tax vehicles at a rate of 1.5 cents per mile traveled. Distance traveled would be calculated monthly, through a GPS tracking system, an odometer reading, or an annual flat rate of 450 dollars.
This takes effect in 2025, and amounts to an extra $180/year for vehicles driven 12k miles, $300 for vehicles driven 20k miles. The $450 figure is a flat rate based on 30k miles, and is $750 (50k miles) for larger commercial vehicles.

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
S.B. 3279 would, beginning on January 1, 2017, raise the tax on motor fuel from the current 19 cents per gallon to 49 cents per gallon, which would be rebated to Illinois residents.
The fuel tax isn't rebated to Illinois residents. You WILL pay 258% of the current tax rate beginning on January 1, 2017, and you will not get that money back. The "rebate" being referred to here is a credit on the per-mile tax that goes into effect in 2025. The 1.5 cents per mile will be reduced by an estimate of the fuel tax paid, based on the EPA-estimated fuel economy of your vehicle. Of course, this is all in addition to the 32 cent per gallon (36 cents for diesel) "motor fuel use" tax and the one cent "environmental and underground storage" taxes. Oh, and the 3 cents per gallon the station has to pay for the privilege of being in business. Plus federal taxes of 18.4 cents for gasoline and 24.4 cents for diesel. Plus the county and/or city taxes--6 cents/gallon in Cook County, for example, plus another 5 cents/gallon from Chicago.

Grand total, you're looking at $1.14/gallon for gas, $1.23/gallon for diesel, if you're buying at a station in the City. Slightly less in other places. I paid $2.09 this morning for diesel, in cook county, but not in the city. This means that under the new tax structure, I'll pay $2.39/gallon if the actual cost of the fuel remains the same. MORE THAN HALF of the total cost will be the tax.

It's a clever system, really. The more efficient your vehicle is, the more of the per-mile tax you pay. The less efficient, the more fuel tax you pay. They get you no matter what. And of course there's the 50% hike in registration fees, nicely following up the 24% hike in 2010. ALL of these taxes will be indexed for inflation--the road use tax based upon a construction cost index, and the other two based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI). So they'll go up every year (every 5 years for the per-mile tax), forever. That, of course, doesn't preclude them from being arbitrarily raised whenever the state feels like it needs some more money.

Last edited by geko29; 03-23-16 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 11:45 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks god I can register my car in WI.
Old 03-23-16, 05:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Thanks god I can register my car in WI.
So you'll only pay the most egregious of the three taxes.

But you'll pay $75 less to register and no per-mileage tax (regardless of credits), so that takes at least some of the sting out of it.
Old 06-22-16, 06:52 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the state wonders why I haven't registered any of my vehicles in almost 5yrs and siphon my gas from the CarMax across town.

iPass? On the left usually.
Old 07-07-16, 07:14 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

I guess I should update this.

When it hit the major news networks the sponsor of the bill was bombarded by thousands of phone calls and emails.

It's been shelved for now