Help needed! Trade it in or replace the engine Chicago Guy in limbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 11:04 AM
ISthenNX
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed! Trade it in or replace the engine Chicago Guy in limbo

Hello,
I'm not sure which route to take as I find myself to be in a sticky situation. Unfortunately my 06 IS 250 has a hole in the piston, the timing chain may have jumped, needless to say my dealer services of choice McGrath of Westmont here in Chicago said the engine will need to be replaced. Sad thing is my Extended Warranty company, Autosave is not going to cover it. Therefore I either try to replace the engine or just trade it in for the $1500 that the dealership said it's worth now while also carrying over $15,000 of negative equity I still have on my loan that I had 39 remaining payments on. All and all...just a bad situation. I'm looking to get a 2015 NX F Sport...possibly leasing but will have to carry over that 15 grand.. I'm sure I'll have to make a decent deposit too.

If anyone happens to work for a Chicagoland Lexus Dealership and think they can help me...by all means please reach out and PM me or share your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-15, 12:28 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles is on your IS? I had an engine failure but after contacting Lexus Corporate, they were able to "good-will" the repair costs even though I was out of warranty.
Old 12-28-15, 10:13 AM
ISthenNX
3rd Gear

I have 120,000 miles on it Chi123.
Old 01-05-16, 08:18 PM
OZRally
Driver School Candidate

Your first problem is going to the dealer. I work at an independent shop and we do many engine replacements on many cars. You should try getting other estimates elsewhere and get your car fixed. You don't want to be completely upside down on a new car.
Old 02-06-16, 04:46 PM
3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

I will give you $2000 for it if your plan is to trade it in. I would suggest calling any and every toyota dealership in the area to have it repaired if you are going to go the dealer fix route if you dont have any recommendations for reputable mechanic.

I would stay away from McGrath Lexus. They tried getting my mom to have them change the brake pads on her 08 GS350. They told her " she needed new calipers all new rotors, and pads after 45K miles. She needed to have them do it because it "needed special brakes parts only they could get". Told her it would cost $2200. Also told her that she should not drive the car home because the brakes could have extreme failure on her way home from the dealer. Front pads were almost to the wear indicators. Backs pads had about half the life. but pistons were siezed. I swapped out all 4 pads, for wagners ceramics and rear calipers for under $500 IIRC. That was over a year ago and cars brakes great. And no more brake dust on the front rims. She has a 5mile round trip commute to work. So the car has low miles.

I personally would find a used engine to swap it in. I wouldnt try to rebuild it because toyota has tight tolerances unlike american cars.

I realize this is my first post but I am a long time toyota truck enthusiast and a member of the toyota off road forums. good luck.

Last edited by 3rdgen; 02-06-16 at 04:54 PM.