Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

headlight buffing and clear coated in lake co.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 09:19 PM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default headlight buffing and clear coated in lake co.

whats up guys,

just picked up an 04 gs300- i got the regular halogen housings and they look really dull and beat. do you guys know a shop in the area that can buff them out and clear coat them ?

im in libertyville area
Old 08-26-15, 08:18 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02gita
whats up guys,

just picked up an 04 gs300- i got the regular halogen housings and they look really dull and beat. do you guys know a shop in the area that can buff them out and clear coat them ?

im in libertyville area
Idk about the whole clear coating. but try lustr autodetail in schaumburg. Ivan is a really nice guy and his work is awesome.

buff it out and have it coated with a ceramic coating. I did that.

www.lustrdetail.com
Old 08-26-15, 08:45 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
Idk about the whole clear coating. but try lustr autodetail in schaumburg. Ivan is a really nice guy and his work is awesome.

www.lustrdetail.com
Hey thanks for the information I started browsing their website and it seems that they do legit work..
What's the difference between the ceramic coating and say regular cclear coat?

How bad were your headlights? And have they stated haze free since thhey did them?

Thanks for the input
Old 08-26-15, 08:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey thanks for the information I started browsing their website and it seems that they do legit work..

How bad were your headlights? And have they stated haze free since thhey did them?

Thanks for the input
If your headlights are already dull and yellow, it means the OEM factory UV clear has failed on them.

Simply buffing them and applying a ceramic coating, glass coating, or any other "semi-permanent "paint protection coating" will not be a long term fix.

I still have my 03 GS430.... had the same thing happen to the lights. Got tired of buffing them every few months.

The only real solution is to take it to a body shop and have them scuff the lenses and paint them using actual 2-part automotive clearcoat. Then they wont yellow for many years to come simply because clear coat will make them air and water proof so no chance of oxidation or yellowing.

Paint protection coatings are completely different. The primary purpose of those is to make it easier to clean whatever surface they are applied to, whether its the paint, glass, or lights. Yes, they do add some level or UV protection and scratch/swirl resistance, but it won't work on headlights where the original clear layer has already failed because there is no paint layer to protect.

Other option (and what I did to my car) is to have clearbra installed on the lights after they have been buffed clear. It's been over a year since I did mine and they still look like the day I applied it.

Just a heads up, if you go the clearbra route, it's a pain in the *** on these cars because of how round the lights are, I would take it to a pro if you have never worked with it before because you'll need to know how to properly stretch and heat the film to get full coverage with it. You'll never get it right on your first or second try.

I would offer to do your lights since I am right in your area, but I just don't have the time these days.

LUSTR doesn't do any paint work, but they can do the clearbra no problem.
Old 08-26-15, 08:38 PM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If your headlights are already dull and yellow, it means the OEM factory UV clear has failed on them.

Simply buffing them and applying a ceramic coating, glass coating, or any other "semi-permanent "paint protection coating" will not be a long term fix.

I still have my 03 GS430.... had the same thing happen to the lights. Got tired of buffing them every few months.

The only real solution is to take it to a body shop and have them scuff the lenses and paint them using actual 2-part automotive clearcoat. Then they wont yellow for many years to come simply because clear coat will make them air and water proof so no chance of oxidation or yellowing.

Paint protection coatings are completely different. The primary purpose of those is to make it easier to clean whatever surface they are applied to, whether its the paint, glass, or lights. Yes, they do add some level or UV protection and scratch/swirl resistance, but it won't work on headlights where the original clear layer has already failed because there is no paint layer to protect.

Other option (and what I did to my car) is to have clearbra installed on the lights after they have been buffed clear. It's been over a year since I did mine and they still look like the day I applied it.

Just a heads up, if you go the clearbra route, it's a pain in the *** on these cars because of how round the lights are, I would take it to a pro if you have never worked with it before because you'll need to know how to properly stretch and heat the film to get full coverage with it. You'll never get it right on your first or second try.

I would offer to do your lights since I am right in your area, but I just don't have the time these days.

LUSTR doesn't do any paint work, but they can do the clearbra no problem.

Hey 97 ,
Thanks for taking the time to run through the process. You would be the second person to tell me about the automotive clear coat. This looks like the route to go. I had already had it in mind to apply some kind of protection to them once they get buffed. I will try to check out lustr and see if they can do this. It's a shame you don't have time- I wouldn't mind going through an enthusiast instead of a busy shop. Thanks
Old 08-26-15, 08:51 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input
Well, mine wasn't bad at all. I misstated. I took my car in for paint correction, ppf (clear bra) and coating. During the process, he buffed the headlights, put the ppf, then ceramic coating. More preventative maintenance than anything.
Old 08-30-15, 06:23 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in libertyville area
Libertyville (that's where I'm at)
Old 08-30-15, 08:49 PM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

^ i just moved here a few months ago. i am originally from Waukegan. I'm by the metro station!
Old 09-25-15, 09:54 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

My headlights are still clear and glossy, however, they do have spots of pittng/small rock chip damage.
Im wondering what would be proper recourse for addressing this issue.
Im almost 100% positive I don't need body shop treatment, but im wondering if a buff and polish would be sufficient to bring back that smooth as glass finish to the lenses, or would I need something more invasive.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-15, 11:56 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

im sure a buff and polish would maket hem look better- the problem is at the same time you are decreasing the UV protection on the lense.. you run the risk of making it worse over time-
Old 11-20-15, 05:24 PM
ssonechko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ivan and Roman completed protective coating application on my car today :)

Originally Posted by popping

www.lustrdetail.com
Ivan and Roman are the best - they know what they are doing and how to do it.
Additionally, guys are knowledgeable, supportive, and honest.
Please see pictures from their shop made today. My car looks better than new
Attached Thumbnails headlight buffing and clear coated in lake co.-car.jpg   headlight buffing and clear coated in lake co.-car1.jpeg   headlight buffing and clear coated in lake co.-car2.jpeg