Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Need Help Shopping for ES -- 330 or 350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 07:03 AM
RegularGal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Shopping for ES -- 330 or 350?

Rookie CL member here.

It's time. I'm afraid I must sell my '98 Lexus ES 300.
Obviously, I must love Lexus to have driven mine for as long as I have, but then it's also obvious I can't afford a new Lexus because I've driven mine for as long as I have.
However, it's a Lexus I want so I WILL persevere!

I'm looking for a used (would love CPO, but...$) ES 330 or ES 350.
(Can some smart Lexus owners please tell me if one ES model is preferred over the other and why?)
My budget is $15K max, but I prefer staying around $12K.
Would love to go no older than 2008 and find a car with under 90K miles.

I'm in the Wheaton/Naperville area and know there are several reputable Lexus dealers around.
I go to their sites and see what's there (slim pickins for all I'm asking for), but I get so flippin' nervous to call or actually go IN to talk to someone. I don't want to be treated as a dumb blonde and end up being duped.

Can anyone recommend a dealer/salesperson for my small-budget needs?
If I go to a dealer and tell them what I'm looking for (incl color, etc.), will they shop around for me and bring in cars from other nearby dealers to help fit my wants?

OR, is going to a reputable auctioneer a better option?

I know, I know.
So many questions, so little cash, but I'd be so grateful for any help.
Old 11-08-14, 09:47 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll tell you my experience. I bought my first lexus 2 weeks ago. The salesmen don't hound or pressure you. Lexus's really do sell themselves. I ended up buying my CPO from Bredemann Lexus in Glenview. A little drive for me also, but they had what I wanted. They took really good care of me, making sure I was happy. At the end of the day, they need to make money too. But they didn't take any offers I made as insulting, or look down on me. Ask for Al Homan if you go there.

i also went to McGrath in Chicago and Woodfield nissan. Again, no pressure, checked in every now and then to see how my search was going. One thing about going to a Lexus dealership vs buying from another place, is the service. Free car washes, simple adjustments, they are all free of charge. Plus you get other perks from Lexus. I'd definitely say, just go in and talk to someone. I can't attest to anyone but Al, but he won't try to get over on you, because you're a girl.
Old 11-09-14, 11:29 PM
RegularGal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 11-15-14, 11:56 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

I looked for four months around the Chicago area. I went to so many sites, mostly non Lexus dealers. Here are a few, goxmotors.com, chicagomotorcars.com, luckymotors.com, luxcarschicago.com, and a few others. I was trying to find something with low millage (around 50 - 60K), but that still had me in the 24 to 27K price range. After getting a little frustrated I expanded my search and within a few days found the one for me. Now, I had to drive four hours to get it, but I saved so much money. I'm just west of Chicago, but found the car down near St. Louis, MO. The car only had 46K miles and was seven thousand cheaper than the lowest millage car around this area.

As for a sales person referral, you can talk to Phil Davero at Chicago Motor Cars, he actually does all the buying for their dealership and may be able to find what you're looking for. Definitely expand your search, cars outside the Chicago area may yield a better price for you. Good luck!!
Old 11-19-14, 08:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Keep in mind if you want to go no older than 2008, then the ES350 is your only choice. The ES330 last model year is 2006.

If you can somehow find the ES350 within your budget, then go for it. It's and upgrade to the ES330 in the powertrain department. You get the same, if not slightly better mpg, but you also gain ~50hp. It's a smoother car overall with the 6 speed transmission (ES330 gets 5spd). The ES330 is known to have jerky shifts from 4th to 5th as if it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. You sometimes have to force the car to downshift if you're going up a grade or if you want to accelerate on the freeway. It doesn't want to downshift by itself unless you floor it. Otherwise it's a great car too, and you can definitely find one cheap.
Old 11-20-14, 01:24 PM
RegularGal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much, Kuleaze. I really appreciate your input AND the different sites you posted.
I've been to several, but you shared a couple I hadn't heard of. Thanks again!

PS. Great avatar. :-)
Old 11-20-14, 01:26 PM
RegularGal
Driver School Candidate

GSteg-

Thank you! You gave me some excellent information, some of which is specifically what I needed to know.

I appreciate it very much.
Old 11-20-14, 02:15 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RegularGal
Thanks so much, Kuleaze. I really appreciate your input AND the different sites you posted.
I've been to several, but you shared a couple I hadn't heard of. Thanks again!

PS. Great avatar. :-)
You're very welcome!! Go HAWKS!!