Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

knocked off

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 07:53 PM
daily400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocked off

so i had an arguement today with a co-worker (unfortunitly he does work with me, not the smartest) and it was over well name brand and well will just call the other stuff foriegn.. i argued till i was blue in the face that it was well worth the money and time consumpition that it was better to buy known names and not "foriegn" parts. i stated that yes both are mass produced but i know that if i buy known name brands such as vossen, greddy, hks, magnaflow, NOS, hoosier and so forth and so on. he argued that any part from ebay(not saying you cant find good things on there) but "foriegn" parts no named brands are just as good if not better and you save money.

SO i post this here because i want to know am i the only one that will save the extra "X amount of dollars to have security in the parts i and you may put on your own car.
Old 01-17-13, 08:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

show your co worker these NSW (Language) videos

this is great on eBay stuff

*NSW LANGUAGE!!!
Old 01-18-13, 10:24 AM
maximL
Pole Position

I agree that higher end parts are worth the extra money. I would not lump Vossen in with higher end brands though. Cheap cast wheels, made in China, and overpriced.
Old 01-18-13, 10:48 AM
daily400
Pole Position

so i take it you have had a bad experience with Vossen wheels... i never had i loved them i had a set on my infinity.. never gave me an issue..
Old 01-18-13, 10:50 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by daily400
so i had an arguement today with a co-worker (unfortunitly he does work with me, not the smartest) and it was over well name brand and well will just call the other stuff foriegn.. i argued till i was blue in the face that it was well worth the money and time consumpition that it was better to buy known names and not "foriegn" parts. i stated that yes both are mass produced but i know that if i buy known name brands such as vossen, greddy, hks, magnaflow, NOS, hoosier and so forth and so on. he argued that any part from ebay(not saying you cant find good things on there) but "foriegn" parts no named brands are just as good if not better and you save money.

SO i post this here because i want to know am i the only one that will save the extra "X amount of dollars to have security in the parts i and you may put on your own car.
Nice post and we do feel that the innovators and leaders in quality and R&D are worth the price. This is beyond our product as we only install industry leaders in regards to quality on our vehicles and we have high admiration for those in our industry producing top quality products. Now there are some very good brands that might be less known so they should be recognized too for making high quality products.

Copying, stealing and producing low quality hurts the industry and in the long run the consumer. It is also quite illegal depending on circumstances not to mention the ethical consequences of doing whats right and whats wrong. We just discovered an exact replica of our wheel in another country and have to take necessary steps to protect our intellectual property.

Personally even before I got in the industry I found out the HARD way about buying low quality parts and wheels and in the long run I spent more as well as time wasted with the knock-offs and fakes. I should have just bought the real thing even if it took longer to purchase. I learned my lesson and share my experience to buy high quality and innovators. Some of it was ignorance on my end and some of it was just being "cheap".

People can spend their money however they please but personally I'd rather wait or not buy the real thing instead of supporting a fake.

Originally Posted by maximL
I agree that higher end parts are worth the extra money. I would not lump Vossen in with higher end brands though. Cheap cast wheels, made in China, and overpriced.
Our wheels are not made in China. We also will have our complete in house lightweight forged Vossen Precision Series this year. Not all wheels are the same and just because something is cast (in our case low pressure cast, a more intense process than just cast) or forged does not mean its automatically bad or good. Its clear that we produce some of the highest quality wheels in the business as we have multiple steps in place to ensure quality. We cannot offer a 5 year workmanship warranty and a lifetime structural warranty selling wheels not up to par.
Old 01-18-13, 10:59 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

somethings you can cheap out on somethings you cannot.

Its okay to penny pinch here and there.
Old 01-18-13, 02:32 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If they are happy with expensive parts than so be it. If they are happy with cheap parts...than who cares? Spend your money on what makes you happy and what you like...

That's like arguing with a Kirby salesman who tells you their $3000 vacuum is a better investment than a $100 Walmart one and will last longer... I have both and let me tell you, I use the Walmart one that is over 15 years old ten times more often and it still runs like day one...
Old 01-18-13, 02:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Moral of that story is...not everything cheap is bad and not everything expensive is automatically better.
Old 01-18-13, 04:35 PM
birador
Lead Lap

^^^agree
Old 01-18-13, 04:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

And don't forget the law of diminishing returns... a $3000 vacuum will probably be a lot better than a $100 one in terms of the materials and technology.... but is it 30X better? Does it give you 30X the value? Does it make your carpet 30X cleaner? Does it make the cleaning process 30X easier and more pleasant? Probably not.

The same can be said for alot of performance parts.
Old 01-18-13, 06:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your a disgrace if your buying "knock-off" parts to save money. If you can not afford it there are plenty of things to chose from or just leave your car stock! May not be as cool or as nice as the more expensive product. Can you get "lucky" with knock off parts...sure. A GFX kit won't harm anyone on the road, it just kills the industry and puts companies out of business that actually spend the time and money to design these parts so we are left with???oh yea the ones that only know how to cheat and steal. It will never end...but certain things, give the cars we own, come on!

Now install cheap china made rims, i-cut springs, fake springs, cheap @ss tires....now your putting yourself and everyone else on the road at risk. But you "looked" cool right
Old 01-22-13, 10:07 AM
maximL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Our wheels are not made in China. We also will have our complete in house lightweight forged Vossen Precision Series this year. Not all wheels are the same and just because something is cast (in our case low pressure cast, a more intense process than just cast) or forged does not mean its automatically bad or good. Its clear that we produce some of the highest quality wheels in the business as we have multiple steps in place to ensure quality. We cannot offer a 5 year workmanship warranty and a lifetime structural warranty selling wheels not up to par.
I will say that you guys have some great designs, but the overall quality has not impressed me. I have several friends who have owned Vossen and were equally unenthusiastic. Warranty means nothing to me because I don't ever buy wheels that will catastrophically fail. I bent a set of Vossens on a rough patch of road where my Works took a beating and never had a problem. Like I said, I love your designs, but Works have proved to be tougher for me (I've owned ~6 sets now).

As far as where your wheels are manufactured, you say they are not made in China. Where are they manufactured? I don't care where they are finished: where is the casting taking place? I've heard China. If you produce some of the highest quality wheels on the market, then I would ask that you perform a stress test similar to the one Weds uses:

Old 01-22-13, 10:09 AM
maximL
Pole Position

I did want to say that I definitely don't believe that Vossen wheels are knock-offs as they do make their own designs. But the quality is something that I question.
Old 01-22-13, 10:21 AM
Boostd
Driver

I was actually considering purchasing some Vossens. I love their designs but after reading these comments I am having second thoughts. They are pricey but thought they were a quality product. Thanks MaxinL. Does anybody else have any negative experiences with Vossen's warranty? Do they back up their product?
Old 01-22-13, 11:26 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MaximL thanks for the feedback and questions. Again before i got in the industry I learned the hard way about cheap wheels and I have always been a stout supporter of original companies busting their rears to innovate and not duplicate. We are big fans of Work wheels and in many cases the wheels are forged which are a better engineered wheel than a low pressure cast wheel in exchange for a higher cost.

We have two plants in Asia that are not in China that produce our wheels. In addition to their in-house quality control we also have our own external agent to inspect our product and to assist in the process. We also have had team members spend weeks, even a month there to ensure top quality in addition to the steps already in place.

If you look on any forum or any avenue you will see problems with Vossen are at a bare minimum. All wheel companies have issues, we are not immune to them but just searching Clublexus you will see dozens of happy owners, many on multiple sets of Vossen wheels. In the rare case there has been an issue regarding a wheel that was proven to be on our end, we have stood by our warranty and have replaced the wheel with no questions on our end.

With our lightweight forged Vossen Precision Series, it allows us to offer a forged wheel at a higher price for those that demand the ultimate in wheel manufacturing. This will be completely in-house in Miami and I just did a site tour as we remodeling one of our buildings.

Very credible brands have showcased Vossen Wheels which lets you know they believe in our product as they would not team up with a wheel company that had quality issues or did not take care of its customers.

http://www.lexus.com/SEMA/PROJECT-GS.html

Showcased by Lexus at SEMA

The personal car of the owners of ACC | Air Runner | Lexon

Audi R8's on Vossen Wheels. Many owners of this supercar have installed our wheels confident in their abilities

This M5 makes 600hp and owns a couple of drag times records.

We have a huge AMG following who believe in our product on their high-power performance cars.
This E55 makes over 600hp and posts on MBWorld. He is on his 2nd set of Vossen's

Drift on Vossen? Sure why not As you know drifting is a very harsh sport on a car and its wheels and this owner chose Vossen. Juan is a great guy his thread is here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-drifting.html

What about Vossen at the drag strip or track? The Vossen Project CLS makes over 650hp and 700lbs of torque and the wheels are more than strong enough for this vehicle.

We also are not a small company just selling wheels locally or nationally. We have happy owners all over the globe including Europe where there is a very high standard for wheel excellence.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/05/29/...and-right-now/

And our current World Tour

And on a personal level before I joined the company I told my boss, the owner that I need to be confident in the product I will be supporting, especially since I had 60,000 posts here and I'm seen as a source of influence. Well I can say I can proudly stand behind our product and am proud to show it at shows, meets, events and to talk about it. Sorry to hear your Vossen experience didn't meet your expectations and again thanks for the candid feedback and discussion.

Sorry for the long response but I am passionate about our product! One of the biggest moments for me was when the entire BBS team came in our booth last year to speak to us and compliment us. Everyone knows I am a BBS nut and still have a set on my 2GS. To me that let me know we are doing something really right.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by Brian@Vossen; 01-22-13 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: knocked off