Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

knocked off

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 11:41 AM
maximL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the long response, but you kind-of tiptoed around my questions. I was asking where they are manufactured specifically. Work/Rays/Weds/etc. are all manufactured in Japan where manufacturing standards are much higher than the rest of Asia. There have been many companies that showed up in the US marketing their products as high quality, but then later the truth came out. We can remember 360 forged; they had their wheels all over exotic cars and big name builds and then people found out they make sub par wheels. As far as drifting, Rota is a huge sponsor of drifting all over the world and I would not call them a high quality wheel manufacturer.

I really do love your wheel designs, it is refreshing to see a company that can come up with their own designs. Like I said though, I have always questioned quality. I hope you can answer my question about where the wheels are manufactured and I would also like to know if your wheels meet TUV, JWL, and/or JWL+R standards? Because let's face it: DOT standards are a joke.
Old 01-22-13, 12:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well I know of a local member, in Chicago, that bent 2 Work rims. I owned a few sets of Work and you can even find my old GS on their website.

Given our crappy roads and creator size pot holes, during the colder months, any rim can get bent if your low enough and hit it at the right angle.
Old 01-22-13, 03:03 PM
maximL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
well I know of a local member, in Chicago, that bent 2 Work rims. I owned a few sets of Work and you can even find my old GS on their website.

Given our crappy roads and creator size pot holes, during the colder months, any rim can get bent if your low enough and hit it at the right angle.
I'm not at all saying that certain wheels are indestructible. Vossens just happened to fail on me in the same piece of messed up road by my house that has still not been fixed and I drive over daily on my Works. Could have been just the right angle: true, but I'm still interested in knowing more about Vossen's manufacturing and certifications, though I doubt Mike will come back here and tell us where Vossens are made since he wasn't forthcoming about it in his first post.
Old 01-22-13, 08:28 PM
daily400
Pole Position

short story short no matter what brand you buy theres something "maybe" will go wrong. we all have our preferences and what not. i listed those brands in the beginning cuz i know them i trust them i like them. i find funny that out of the 100's of vendors that sponsor this site and that we buy from no one has anything to say besides vossen. it would b nice to see other compaines acually caring about what we have to think and hear mainly if we are going to dump a ton of cash into there product. i know for a fact that i will go and buy something from somewhere even if i know they cost more there then somewhere else sometimes just due to the experience i get.

and seeing that vossen had the time to acually respond to this thread and not b just another sponser makes me think that ok they will take this and turn there product better or we think this or that.. or what not.

but at the end of the day everyone has there own taste and will buy what they will buy. no one will make that decision for you but you. i know i will get my next set of rims from vossen because of the support they have givin the chicago section and also that i love there products and trust them.. but besides the fact of just vossen like i said i still think this is sad that no other vendor local or not has nothing to say...
Old 01-23-13, 04:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Mike I wouldn't use any decent aftermarket wheel in the winter months here.... that's just asking for trouble.
Old 01-23-13, 05:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't but I know others are. I used the OEM rims with snow tires for a few months.

hows the new location going?
Old 01-25-13, 12:15 AM
concavo
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

Just saw this thread! There are many wheel companies out there including 3pc who purchase their barrels from China. One thing people do fail to understand is China works on $$$. You can manufacture cheap wheels in China and you will have problems in both finishing and quality. Then, you can manufacture wheels in a reputable factory where you have options to pay extra for both quality and finishing. Just like there are factories that manufacture gravity cast wheels and factories that manufacture low pressure cast wheels like ours. We pay top dollar for our product including a 3 stage finishing process that no other cast wheel company in the world does to their wheels. Many companies lie about where they manufacture their wheels and use Taiwan instead. We have been to factories all over including Taiwan and China and to be honest, if you pay for quality and finishing, China can produce a better product then many factories around the world. Same reason why Apple produces their products there and the % of people who own Apple products is crazy these days!

For replica, no one wants to see the replica industry take over and hurt companies like ours business, however, it exists and always will. There are some people who only want cheap and that's the market for them. Would I put cheap tires on my vehicle and risk my life? I think not. However, there are many people who just go by the price of the product and that's what they do. There are also many people who just walk into a shop to buy wheels and tires without research and have no clue what they are getting installed on their vehicle. So to conclude my answer here, its always best to do your research on a product before you purchase, however, there will always be companies who produce replica products and its just something that will always continue and we just have to keep bringing new designs and trends to the industry!
Old 01-25-13, 05:35 AM
daily400
Pole Position

hey thanks for the input and clairty on the topic. and yes i agree anything can be done with the right money i will not arguee with you on that..

im also taking it that rim suppliers care more about us then other items...
Old 01-25-13, 06:31 AM
concavo
Former Sponsor

If it wasn't for the end consumer, we would not exist. It is very important that a company backs their warranty such as we do. We offer a industry leading 7 year warranty on our product and have not failed any of our customers. Customers are the mot important part of our business!

Originally Posted by daily400
hey thanks for the input and clairty on the topic. and yes i agree anything can be done with the right money i will not arguee with you on that..

im also taking it that rim suppliers care more about us then other items...
Old 01-25-13, 07:00 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

So, Concavo, where are your rims MFG? and can you show us what testing is involved in your rims?
Old 01-26-13, 02:54 PM
daily400
Pole Position

So, Concavo, where are your rims MFG? and can you show us what testing is involved in your rims?
good question passnu2 i would also like to know
Old 01-26-13, 03:24 PM
concavo
Former Sponsor

Our wheels are manufactured in China. Our wheels are JWL and VIA certified. We are currently working on TUV certification but do not have an exact time frame of when that will be complete. Hopefully soon

Old 01-26-13, 03:25 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

Subcribed!
Old 01-26-13, 06:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by acer9103
Subcribed!
to what
Old 01-26-13, 06:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

maybe I wasn't clear, do you have any videos you can show us?

Quick Reply: knocked off