Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

dvd/nav hack

Old 04-04-12, 08:51 AM
msv94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dvd/nav hack

Hello guys I just picked up my wife a 2012 gx460 fully loaded. we got the mark levinson audio system and it allows me to play dvds on the front too but the car has to be in park and the emergency brake has to be on. I know they have hacksto bypass this so your passenger can watch it while your driving. Can you guys recommend someplace that is reliable and can do this in the chicagoland area? I live in the northwest suburbs (Northbrook). Also, what should I expect to pay for something like this?
Old 04-05-12, 05:45 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I rec. the prestigious society module. It's about $320, made in Japan, very well built, and works as advertise. I have it in my F, and it has been awesome.
Old 04-06-12, 06:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea its P-N-P and you can get them for much less then $320 As for a place to do this locally and custom stereo shop should be able to handle it. I personally have done it for a handful of local members and its an easy DIY if you follow what is posted for your vehicle.
Old 04-06-12, 06:52 AM
msv94
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I began reading post in the gx forum and I figured out the the prestigious society module is the one to go with. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop i wanna make sure nothing gets voided with the warranty.
Old 04-06-12, 09:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Id be happy to help you depending on your location. As for the kit its actually DataSystem to be fair. Prestigious is just an auth re-seller and they are private labeling it. You can find it for much less IMO and they are all the same You can find them for ~ $200 new if you search online. Their mark up is crazy on the kit IMO.
Old 04-07-12, 06:44 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Wish I knew that Mike. I had mine installed at Autowerks by their electronics wizard, Eric. The reason why I vouched for the Prestigious Society (PS) one or the same one passnu2 referenced, is that Eric had initially thought I was going to bring him another one of many "****ty" modules he had seen before from other customers during out initial conversation and quote. He later told me those modules he had seen for Audis, Mercedes, BMW, etc. were so poorly made that he either had to redo wiring or fabricate something to make the module work. He was really surprised that the PS had all the correct wiring, instructions, and connectors. It was one of the easiest Nav/DVD overrides he had done. It was all plug and play.

One thing to remember about the Nav/DVD override is to install the bypass button at a discrete location. You don't want the dealer to see it b/c it would automatically void the warranty on the Nav/DVD. For the F, it’s like $8K if they have to replace it. Also, the plug/play nature of the PS module is important b/c if something is truly wrong with your Nav/DVD, you can take out the module without leaving evidence (cut/splice wires), before you take the GX back to the dealer. This was really important for me, no cutting/splicing any wire back there.

I ended up having the bypass button underneath, the driver’s side dash, meaning under the dash where your right knee would hit the bottom dash if your seat was all the way up. Discrete location and at the same time easily reachable.
Old 04-09-12, 07:38 AM
msv94
Driver School Candidate

So let me get this right the DataSystem kit is the same as the prestige society kit just renamed by prestige socitey? Do you know if the datasystem kit comes with all the instructions to? Ill have to google search it. Hey purduepete the place autowerkes you used is it the one in northbrook? They are right by my house. Good point too on hiding the switch I defintely dont want to void the warranty on ride Thanks for the help guys I just wanna make sure I get this done right.
Old 04-09-12, 08:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yes they are the same. DataSytems is the actual MFG of the kit. PS is importing the kit and just marketing it under there own name. Its PNP so nothing will void your warranty.
Old 04-09-12, 06:37 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by msv94
So let me get this right the DataSystem kit is the same as the prestige society kit just renamed by prestige socitey? Do you know if the datasystem kit comes with all the instructions to? Ill have to google search it. Hey purduepete the place autowerkes you used is it the one in northbrook? They are right by my house. Good point too on hiding the switch I defintely dont want to void the warranty on ride Thanks for the help guys I just wanna make sure I get this done right.
Yep, Northbrook.
Old 07-01-12, 12:26 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My Cadillac CTS-V lets you hold down a combination of buttons to allow DVD's to play in front while the car is moving. I wonder if there's a simple way to do this in a Lexus and avoid spending the money. I'd like to do it in our first-gen GX.
Old 07-21-12, 09:53 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

For your first gen GX 470 - press menu, DVD, upper left of screen, lower left of screen, upper left of screen, lower left of screen, lower right of screen - then press the overide button on the screen that pops up.

If you need to adjust your blue tooth sound through your speakers you can press and hold the information button down while turning your parking lights of and on three times. This screen will let you adjust your sound and back up camera.
Old 11-18-12, 08:19 AM
chicago66
Rookie

where can we locate datasystems. do they have model for the new gs 350 fsport?
Old 11-19-12, 05:30 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

here is the MFG....http://www.datasystem.co.jp/

you have to "search" to find them for sale. eBay, other sites, ect...or pay more and have PS get one for you. As for the new gen GS I would post a thread in that section to see if anyone else has found one to work. My guess is none are out just yet but there are a few members that may have tried already or found another MFG who does make a kit that is PNP so your not cutting any wires.

Just curious how is the time out on the new system and are you able to use anything while in motion? I thought with the newer set up and the control moved that they would allow access while in motion.
Old 11-20-12, 07:41 PM
chicago66
Rookie

thanks.. and by the way.. just removed my old unit from my 2008 ls 460.. one problem.. now says check srs.. airbag and no function controll on the dash for the audio and climate.. no eject on the cd player.. any thoughts.. do we think the installer i had removed the unit messed up.. i know that is a yes.. but do we think a fuse or issue when removing the pNP and put back to factory?

thansk
Old 11-21-12, 09:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ ouch not sure I would trust them to bring your car back...and yes the passenger side air bag connector is located there. Its what allows it to illuminate if the passenger air bag is off due to weight. Its possible if you tear it apart they forgot to connect it and it "may" reset the system if you plug it back in. If it doesn't then only the dealer will be able to reset this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dvd/nav hack