Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 06:05 PM
Dble Agent
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Anyone ever had any problems with their clear bras.
Can it be installed on Headlamps to protect them from roadchips?
Can anyone recomend a good place to purchase and get one installed.
Old 03-15-12, 07:48 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I bought my car with one on it. It looks pretty good, when dust gets on the edge of the decal on the hood, you can see the line. Besides that, you can't really tell its on the bumper. It also absorbed some rocks and minor scuffs that left little marks in it. I figure those didnt go through and when I remove it, it will be fresh still.

Recently some kid in a JDMd out civic hatch had part of his aero fly off and swiped across my bumper. Left some big marks in the clear bra I wasnt able to rub out with my hand/rag. I read there are some plastic polishes that work really well on the clear bras. I need to buy some of that to try out. If not, my bumper will be going naked because the scuffs really show up on black..

PurduePete was going to be getting a clear bra for his new bumper, I am not sure if he ever got it tho. I'm sure he will be chiming in soon. He'd have a better idea on price.
Old 03-17-12, 05:15 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick at Body-Skins.com is very good. He is a mobile installer in the Chicago area. I have known him for years and seen his work in person. I am a fellow installer too so I know a good install when I see one.

Also protecting te headlights is a great idea. There are not any negative side effects from doing it so I highly recommend getting them covered. They will prevent the lights from becoming oxidized over the years as well as getting chips.
Old 03-20-12, 01:32 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine done at the dealer in 08. Just had it buffed because it was discolored and it looks brand new. I have a starfire pearl so it is more noticable than other colors but still worth it.
Old 04-03-12, 07:35 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Rick at Body-Skins.com is very good. He is a mobile installer in the Chicago area. I have known him for years and seen his work in person. I am a fellow installer too so I know a good install when I see one.

Also protecting te headlights is a great idea. There are not any negative side effects from doing it so I highly recommend getting them covered. They will prevent the lights from becoming oxidized over the years as well as getting chips.
^ THIS!
Rick installed it on the head & fog lights for both my cars. I asked him for door edge and also a small piece behind my rear lic plate. Excellent job! I recommend him also. My IS came with the clear bra on the hood and mirrors, but Rick helped trim them up since it was obvious the installer was a novice lol.

I always get my headlights done. Small price to pay vs. replacing the whole headlight for $$$$$$$.
Old 04-07-12, 06:56 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dble Agent
Anyone ever had any problems with their clear bras.
Can it be installed on Headlamps to protect them from roadchips?
Can anyone recomend a good place to purchase and get one installed.
You can easily find pre-cut sets on ebay. I got my headlight sets (slight blue color) on ebay a year ago, and still haven't installed them.... Been wayyy to lazy!! Think I paid like $20.

Yeah Alex (CaptAwsm), I did get the clear bra on my new bumper at A&L, but that was it. No hood, fender or mirrors. It has been about 8 months now with no issues. The obvious thing in judging is the presence of bubbles or peeling. But if you want to be a perfectionist with the clearbra, go to an installer who is skilled at wrapping them around the corner and simply not just to the edge. This is what A&L does. For example, for a hood, they wrapped around past the edge of the outer hood to the underneath of the hood and not just stop at the edge and cut. This makes the clear bra cut line less noticeable. This is what I was told anyways.

Last edited by PurduePete; 04-07-12 at 07:07 PM.