Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Illinois Winters!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 01:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Illinois Winters!

Got advice/tips on making it through winter in Illinois?

Girlfriend is spending her first winter in Illinois and i'll be in between Illinois and California from now till February. Probably will be spending about 40% of winter in Illinois myself lol.

We got the basic stuff down - Winter clothes, emergency stuff for the car, always keep a half tank of gas, etc. But it would be nice to get some advice from people who have been through Illinois winters before.

Also, are snow tires necessary? I've been pushing her to buy some but she insists since her drive is only 10 miles max each way and since her current all-seasons are pretty much brand new that she doesn't need/want to buy snow tires. She drives a newer Altima Hybrid so not sure how well it will fair in the snow...

Thanks for any advice/help!
Old 11-03-11, 01:59 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

My lexuses have all been RWD so snow tires are a perk. All seasons will work too.

Winter tips. Mind ramblings...

~ Wash your car as much as you can. Salt here will eat your car up.
~ Make sure your battery is top notch and have jumper cables.
~ You know its going to snow, but your parked at work or at home outside. Put your wipers up like your going to change them. (You'll notice others doing this too.) Prevents ice on the blades
~ Get a good snow brush/Ice scraper. Seriously, nothing will **** you off more is having the blade break on a cheap scraper when the wind is hard and its -4 out.
~rain ex your headlights. Limits the amount of salt spray that will stick cutting down your headlight output.
~ First big snow storm... Don't drive if possible. For some reason the people that have lived here for 30 years have no idea what the white stuff falling down is, and drive around at "ramming speed" forgetting how their vehicle reacts in the snow. These people are usually in land Cruisers, Tahoes, H2's, Escalades and most every Camry and Accord driver.
~ Learn to drink Whiskey its the only thing that will keep you sane during this shet season.
~ Fresh snow in a empty parking lot... Fun. Look out for parking ties.
~ Snow storm and on the highway... make sure when you change lanes at speed, take your time with the transition.
Old 11-03-11, 02:28 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it not that big of a deal, just depressing. Roads usually get taken care of in a couple hours.. unless its constant snow for a couple days straight. FWD with all seasons is plenty good. I drove my STS-V last year with summer tires! Granted I needed to get a ride to work like 3 times.. Got snow tires for the F now though.

If you are street parking its good to have shovel to dig yourself out of spots. It just so populated, you don't really need to worry about being stuck somewhere for a night if you car goes in a ditch.. its not like North Dakota or Canada. Having a newer car, she probably will get indicators about low gas.. so IMO carrying gas in the trunk is more of a risk than a help.
Old 11-03-11, 02:44 PM
gsthree
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I maybe getting a job there this winter... Im leaving my GS down in Texas until the end of the winter. I'll be doing alot of walking... 2miles to work .5mile to the store and .5mille to the gym. Im going to do this at least for three months. Cant wait
Old 11-03-11, 02:48 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neurocity
My lexuses have all been RWD so snow tires are a perk. All seasons will work too.

Winter tips. Mind ramblings...

~ Wash your car as much as you can. Salt here will eat your car up.
~ Make sure your battery is top notch and have jumper cables.
~ You know its going to snow, but your parked at work or at home outside. Put your wipers up like your going to change them. (You'll notice others doing this too.) Prevents ice on the blades
~ Get a good snow brush/Ice scraper. Seriously, nothing will **** you off more is having the blade break on a cheap scraper when the wind is hard and its -4 out.
~rain ex your headlights. Limits the amount of salt spray that will stick cutting down your headlight output.
~ First big snow storm... Don't drive if possible. For some reason the people that have lived here for 30 years have no idea what the white stuff falling down is, and drive around at "ramming speed" forgetting how their vehicle reacts in the snow. These people are usually in land Cruisers, Tahoes, H2's, Escalades and most every Camry and Accord driver.
~ Learn to drink Whiskey its the only thing that will keep you sane during this shet season.
~ Fresh snow in a empty parking lot... Fun. Look out for parking ties.
~ Snow storm and on the highway... make sure when you change lanes at speed, take your time with the transition.

This is all great advice. Make sure to get undercarriage car wash to get the salt off underneath the car.
Old 11-03-11, 02:49 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Neurocity - Thanks for the tips We did get a cheap ice scraper, so i guess i'll order a better one now and time to stock up on whiskey and tell her its to keep me sane

CaptAwsm - Good to know she doesn't need the snow tires! And by keeping a half tank of gas i meant in the tank, not in the trunk. Would never keep any gas in the the trunk - especially with that Hybrid battery back there

GQD_GS4 - She barely washes the car now, i will try and convince her to wash the whole car AND the undercarriage though

gsthree - Oh boy. sounds like fun
Old 11-06-11, 12:14 AM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like to add a few things to list list.
i usually rainx all my windows except the windshield. i found it easier to scrape off the ice oh the glass. i usually keep an extra jug of the rainx windshield wiper fluid (deicer or deicer with bug remover). i would keep a shovel in the trunk. the cheap $5.99 shovels you get at the hardware stores. dont get the auto shovels that have the adjustable length shaft. not worth the money and they snap like a twig. i would get it now before the first storm hits. i keep an extra set of gloves that i keep in the car. a couple of the hand warmer packets in case of emergency. and i would add either some cat litter or salt if u get stuck for abit of extra traction. im in the burbs so we dont get the same snow removal service that chicago spends on.
Old 11-06-11, 12:07 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Some great advice by neurocity!!

Like already said... if your IS is RWD and not AWD then either snow tires or about 100 lbs of salt or sand in the trunk. One or two bags isnt enough to make a difference.

Even cheap snow tires vs. great all season tires are night and day when it comes to driving on snow or ice.

Also, only worry about extra washes if shes planning on keeping the car a long time.. otherwise its pointless if she trades her cars in every few years.

And one more.. make sure you have a good set of wiper blades and a full tank of windshield washer and always carry a gallon of it in your car.. nothing worse than being on a wet, salty highway and no windshield washer!!

Last edited by PetesLS400; 11-06-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 03:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the tips/advice guys. Keep em coming. I'm taking note
Old 11-07-11, 05:04 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its snowing and the roads are bad call in for a snow day and stay home for the day
Old 11-07-11, 08:05 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"Fresh snow in an empty parking lot... Fun. Look out for parking ties." WORD!! Drifter wannabe opportunities...lol. I admit I'm one of them...lol.

I highly recommend a set of winter tires, with or without AWD. If you can afford it, do it. Having a set is not just about having a little better traction; it is 1000% better traction than your summer or all-seasons. And yes, there will be places you want to or need to go, when it's snowing outside. It's just human nature, I swear. Great shopping times, no crowd... But the overall attribute is just plain SAFETY.

Don't let the thought that winter tires are a luxury item. What ends up happening is that your winter tires will prolong the life of your all-seasons. I put on my winters at about mid november and then swap them at about April. If you buy winters, make sure you also buy the rims too. They come as a package deal and are not as expensive as you might think. That way, if you want to, you can easily switch back and forth by yourself.

Having a winter setup also allows you the opportunity to run summer tires for better handling rather than all-seasons. I recommend discount tires b/c they will swap out your winters every year for free.
Old 11-07-11, 09:20 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

sell the IS and buy a range rover.

A 4WD beater with a heater might not be a bad option.
Old 11-07-11, 10:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Winters are nothing to worry about here. We get maybe 4 bad snows the entire season and the plows and state are prepared for the minors that fall between. Can't wait for the first snow fall when everyone panics on the roads like we have never seen snow in Chicago before :lol:

Just find a set of snow tires in the classified section. there are always some for sale and some on rims. Slap these on and your good for the winter.

Otherwise stay home and call in for a snow day like I do
Old 11-09-11, 09:23 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few winter tips to add as I've been in Chicagoland area my entire life:
1.) Use Lexus "Snow Mode" It makes a big difference in sloppy weather.

2.) Don't think Snow tires are necessary if you have AWD. I suggest good set of Yokohama's and have them "siped" http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
3.) Set of flares
4.) Gloves, blanket, winter hat, ear muffs, jumper cables, snow boots, cell phone battery charged, non-perishable snacks (just ask the folks stranded on Lake Shore drive last year).
5.) Heet for gas tank http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/heet/faq.aspx
Safe travels this season!!!! Look out for the next guy.
Old 11-10-11, 12:54 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

Just a note, i don't think i made it clear enough in my original post, but my IS isn't going to spending any time in Illinois. The Altima Hybrid i mentioned in my first post is what will be driven in the winter. I'll never let the IS touch snow

Quick Reply: Illinois Winters!