Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Emissions testing and JoeZ Dual Exhaust Catless

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 06:44 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions testing and JoeZ Dual Exhaust Catless

So I figured this would be the best place to post questions about emissions testing in our state and regards to mods that still let us pass.
I have a 2007 IS350 with the HKS sport exhaust upgrade offered then (before F-sport), have the JoeZ air intake, was looking into adding his dual Exhaust but the "race" edition. Cuts out two cats from the exhaust line.
Has anybody in Illinois installed it had any problems when they had to get tested for emissions?
Old 10-12-11, 07:45 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

If it cuts out the cats right after the headers.. it probably would be an issue. You could probably get race cats, which a lot of people put on Joe Z's.

If they are cats further down the line that are cut out, you'd be fine. I know on the F, there are 4 cats, and you can do anything you want with further down the line cats. Not sure about the 350. Either way theres got to be a lot of discussions on the IS threads about this and passing emissions.
Old 10-12-11, 10:19 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive taken built turbo cars in with no cats and passed. Correct me if im wrong but on obd2 cars that they test as long as you dont have any check engine lights and all your systems are ready you should pass
Old 10-12-11, 12:17 PM
marine1342
Rookie

The JoeZ exhaust race version removes the 2 secondary cats. I don't know exactly what they test or look for in the Chicagoland. I've done some research on google and read different posts, but it seems to be that 1; they don't do a visual inspection, and 2; as long as the vehicle doesn't throw any CEL or codes it will pass.
I know that at the emissions testing station they hook up the ODB II and not sure what they do from there.
I don't think they just look at the dash and thats it. Don't they connect the OBD II and try to see if they can throw a code and clear it?
CaptAwsm, have you removed the secondary cats on your IS-F and passed emissions?
I know every state has different regulations on what they do during testing (FL seems to be the best....) and really was looking for input on those that have passed inspections in IL with OBD II and secondary cats deleted.
I don't think they do sniffer tests in IL anymore (from what I remember they used to in the 90's?).

Last edited by marine1342; 10-12-11 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added
Old 10-12-11, 01:03 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I am working on getting an exhaust that removes the 2nd cats.. still being made. I am under the impression we'd be good to go with removing the 2nd cats. The O2 sensors are right before and after the 1st cats, if I remember correctly. The O2 sensors are what would be throwin codes.
Old 10-12-11, 01:24 PM
marine1342
Rookie

That's what I'm reading too. found a website (that just lost the info for it) where they cover the illinois emissions testing procedure in detail and what they look for then they connect the OBD II. If I find it ill post the info but from what I recall, they just read previous codes and errors that have come up in regards to emission sensors (gas evap, cat etc) and check to make sure it was cleared out a while ago. They don't let you pass if it came up in the last couple of days, since that would mean that it hasn't fully cleared the system.
OBD II cats need to clean up at least 90% of the emissions (and it seems that our primary cats clean out 95%?) and the secondary cats are just for extra ULEV ratings. OBD I was minimum 70%.
Illinois doesn't do visual inspections or sniffer inspections (from what I've read on non Illinois.gov sites....)
Old 10-12-11, 02:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ your correct, no visual. They connect to OBD II and thats it. You will pass with that exhaust with no problems
Old 10-12-11, 02:47 PM
marine1342
Rookie

That exhaust referring to JoeZ's true dual exhaust?
Old 10-12-11, 02:52 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Well can't find that damn page.....
Old 10-12-11, 03:10 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be fine. I was scared of passing emissions since I was considering deleting the middle two resonators on my IS350. I went to emissions testing with a short-ram intake and Invidia Midpipe installed which deleted two secondary cats/resonators including an exhaust leak before the mufflers which made the car really loud. I was in and out in under a minute. I just drove in, sat in waiting room, the guy hooked up the OBD II, and I passed. Three lanes down, there was a super loud Mustand that have got to have straight-pipes for it to be that loud during idle, and no one cared.

Just make sure there are no CELs or any warning lights on and you're good. They aren't going to look and if you're really worried, try going to OBD II-only stations?

Edit: Just read that you have an IS350 like me. The Joe-Z race or regular will not give you error codes. You'll be fine with emissions. I don't have those two cats you're referring to that were cut out either. I'm actually going to do headers and delete the last resonator in the future.

Last edited by chi123; 10-12-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 08:34 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Wonderful. Thanks chi123. Do you know if the o2 sensors on the is350 are the same as the IS-F? Meaning 2 right before the first cat and 2 right after the first cat?
I looked at the images on sewell and it seems to be like that. I'd look at my car but its in the shop getting some repairs done to it....
Old 10-13-11, 09:39 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No idea how it is on the F but there are two O2 sensors right before the cat on the exhaust manifold/header. The other two O2 sensors are located on the midpipe or y-pipe of the stock exhaust a foot after the cats. You can see them in this picture with a JoeZ. It's a little above the middle of the picture. You'll need to remove the secondary O2 sensors when you install the exhaust but it won't cause CELs or anything.

Old 10-15-11, 02:06 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Wonderful. Thank you so much you guys. Now to decide on doing the headers or the exhaust first.....
If I do headers I'll end up going with high flow headers, although maybe not since this would prolly make it smell more, seeing as I'll be deleting the secondary cats....
Well, we'll see.
Thanks again
Old 10-18-11, 04:28 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

As long as you don't have a CEL for pending code you will pass regardless if you go with headers with/without primary or secondary cats.

I have headers with no primary cats. My secondary cats and a resonator go to a Tanabe. It smell a little on cold start but not a big deal IMO. Normal carbon on the inside of the exhaust tips etc...

Headers with a race cat should not tigger a CEL but not always.

Good luck.