Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

My experience with Boyce Body Werks

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 07:33 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Boyce Body Werks

I first learned about the Boyce Body Werks on this forum back when I used to own a 2000 Lexus GS400. This is why I decided to post my review here even though my current car is not a Lexus. I hope this review will be beneficial to everyone who may be in a bind needing a great body shop.

Everyone who used Boyce in the past has always complemented their great work and excellent customer service. Unfortunately for me, the shop is located in Batavia and I live in the northern suburbs almost by the Wisconsin state line. Because of the distance, I have never considered using them as my “local” body shop.

A couple of winters ago, my new to me BMW slid on the icy street underneath my own mailbox creating an eye soaring scratch on the hood. I immediately decided to get the car fixed and started looking for a reputable body shop around my area. Google was my tool for the task at hand. I looked at multiple shops around me and read numerous reviews about them. I ended up selecting three places and went in for estimates. The needed work consisted of getting my hood repaired, blending, and front bumper refinishing (also decided to get this done due to rock chips). All shops looked decent but their prices had a deviation of almost a $1000. My decision was to go with the shop that offered an average price.

To make a long story short, after multiple arguments and rework, the shop I selected was unable to correctly match the color shade of freshly painted pieces to the rest of my car. I ended up with a car that had three different colors. The front bumper was one color, hood and fenders were another, and the rest of the body panels were factory. As everyone can imagine I was not very happy. Every time I would walk up to the car I could see the color variation.

Since I was out close to two thousand dollars and the shop refused to help, I ended up living with this problem for about a year until this spring when I took my car to Boyce for a repaint.

My first contact with Boyce was on the phone. I called and asked for an estimator and was forwarded to Ken Boyce. Ken listened to my story and since my repairs were fairly simple (refinishing of body panels), he was able to give me a very rough estimate over the phone to save me a trip to his shop. Right from the start his price seemed very attractive considering that I had already obtained three other estimates from local shops to redo the work of the last shop. Searching some more on the internet revealed only positive things about Boyce. I was sold on the shop and decided call Ken and schedule my visit. He was very open on the dates and my car was in his shop three days later.

The whole repair process took a week and a half. This was definitely acceptable to me since we have a spare car and I would rather have a shop take their time vs. rushing a job and getting substandard repairs. I called several times during the repair process to get brief updates on the repair. The first time I called, Ken informed me that that my bumper grill was cracked and that he was going to replace to ensure my car was like new post repair. This reassured my feeling about this place. The more I called, the more I felt like this was going to be a positive experience.

The Boyce Body Werks ended up refinishing my front bumper, hood, left and right fenders and blended my front doors. This had to be done in order to make sure there was going to be no color shade variation. When I came to pick up my car, it looked like new. The paint color matched perfectly and my car was clean inside and out. Ken went over the repair process and said that he had personally instructed the paint guy to pull the car outside after it was painted, but before reassembly, to make sure the color matched perfectly. This made me feel like Ken really put his heart into this project.

The final results speak for themselves. Here are some photos which hopefully can illustrate the quality of Boyce Body Werks work.
Attached Thumbnails My experience with Boyce Body Werks-1.jpg   My experience with Boyce Body Werks-2a.jpg   My experience with Boyce Body Werks-2b.jpg   My experience with Boyce Body Werks-3.jpg   My experience with Boyce Body Werks-4.jpg  

Last edited by StasGS4; 06-30-11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 07:36 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Here is another photo which illustrates how well Boyce was able to match the factory orange peel making the painted panels undetectable. Back door is OEM and front door was blended by Boyce.
Attached Thumbnails My experience with Boyce Body Werks-5.jpg  
Old 04-30-11, 11:53 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Funny, one of the guys that works there is my Neighbors Brother in law.

He will be the one painting my kit when I get it.
Old 05-02-11, 11:58 AM
nat4103
Driver

Cool

Great place!! I took my car for my bodykit & they did a great job. I will take all my cars there. Ken is a great guy & easy going.