Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

New window tint law in effect?

Old 03-17-10, 02:42 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 46 Posts

i got a tint ticket in chicago like 4-5 months ago, i mailed it in to contest in court and never got a court date lol, the cop was stupid i was getting a haircut and as i was walking back to my car some biker rent a cop was writing me a ticket, i asked him wat was wrong he said i had tints...i told him there was a new tint law and he said no there isnt...w/e
Old 03-24-10, 10:08 AM
ronf119
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any more info on getting a ticket for tints. Planning on getting my wife's car tinted next week but don't want to deal with the hassle of going to court to contest especially since the car is under my wife's name and I assume she would have to appear in court. Live in the north suburbs but we do go into Chicago from time to time.

Last edited by ronf119; 03-24-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 02:48 PM
infernosun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
+2! Had mine & fiancee's Matrix done by Umbra this past weekend.

Around how much for one vehicle to get done?
Old 04-06-10, 01:40 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infernosun
Around how much for one vehicle to get done?
I sent you a PM
Old 04-23-10, 12:46 PM
Bonjo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay for the sake of trying to be concise:

1) What specifically is the new tint law and how does it affect Chicago?

2) Who is recommended for tinting around Chicago, and do I have to ask for a specific type of film?

3) Can we get some pics of tint jobs saying what % they are?

My last car, a Honda Accord, was tinted and it was horrible. I got it done by Mr. Kustom on Irving. The side windows would not roll down if it got too cold (I think the film they used was too thick?) The rear window got a warped and distorted look around the defroster wiring. I also had 3 tickets in the matter of 6 months. If this is typical to deal with to have tinted windows, then I don't want any part of it. But if this is not the case for a quality job and the city of Chicago doesn't give out tickets anymore then I will get it done, with a place that is recommended of course. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 04-24-10, 08:02 AM
MLCGUY
Driver School Candidate

Let me give you a brief overview for those that are not sure of the tint shades. Most film manufacturers classify their films by the amount of light that is allowed thru the films. For example, a 5% "Limo" tint keeps out 95% of the light. Generally, the smaller the number, the darker the film. The most common film "shades" are as follows: 50%, 35%, 30%, 20%, 15%. AND 5%.

Next, understand that the "clear glass" in all of our vehicles (those without the privacy glass) does actually have some "tint" in the glass. In undrestanding the new law, you must factor in this slight tint of the glass along with the tinted film to get a total darkness or tint level. For example, a 35% film PLUS the "tinted glass" actually equals 30% overall darkness when measured with a glass meter.

Unlike the old Illinois law that allowed any darkness behind the front doors but allowed for no film on the front drivers and passenger door glass, the new Illinois Tinting law, allows film on the front doors with limits.

NEW TINTING LAW IS AS FOLLOWS:
Option #1: 30% net darkness on all the vehicles windows, except the windshield. Using the above explanation, you must use a film, along with the "tint of the glass" that is no darker than 30%. Typically, most window film manufacturer's 35% films met this criteria.

Option #2: If you want to go a little darker on back doors and back glass, you may go up to a 25% net darkness on the rear doors, quarter glass and back windshield; however, then the front driver and passenger doors may only be filmed to a 45% total film darkness. Typically, most window film manufacturer's 30% films meet the rear criteria, along with 50% for the front doors.

Option#3: Is the old law, darker than 25% on the rear windows, nothing is allowed on the front drivers and passenger front doors.

Option#4: If you have a truc, SUV or mini-van that has factory tinted privacy glass, you may use a 50% (45% total darkness) on the front doors.

I hope this helps you to understand this new law.
Old 04-24-10, 11:33 AM
Bonjo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MLCGUY, I'm sure that if you are in the city that you understand that what is state law, and Chicago law are actually two different realities. I know plenty of people in the burbs that don't have to worry about the tint laws until they come into the city and get tickets. If that has changed for Daley's Chicago, then great. But if it is still business as usual, then I can expect several tickets per year valid or not.

I understand the concept behind the different tint levels and found your info very informative. The reason though that I was asking for pictures is so I can visually see what some of the different % look on different cars to help me decide which route to go. Do they typically tint cars any lighter than 50%? From your info, I might consider doing a 60 or 70% up front and maybe a 35 or 50% in the rears just to give it a slight tint all the way around.