Comcast Internet Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 06:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Comcast Internet Help

Anyone that is using please chime in.

Okay I had there service with a provided/rented modem in the past. I now have my own modem.

I had a SBG900 Motorola modem/router and the firewall was so strict no one could figure it out. Port forwarding..you name it nothing would work.

So I exchanged it for a SB6120 today...I still have the same issues

1. No iTunes
2. No IM services (yahoo or MSN)
3. Not able to upload into photobucket or YouTube
4. Havent tried the kids online game yet.
5. the list goes on....

I have searched this to no tomorrow and I cant believe something so simple is a PITA!!!

I search and read that Comcast is blocking these ports. If that was the case I would think I wouldn't have been able to use these programs in the past unless they have something set up in the modem you rent from them?

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-09, 06:43 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Anyone that is using please chime in.

Okay I had there service with a provided/rented modem in the past. I now have my own modem.

I had a SBG900 Motorola modem/router and the firewall was so strict no one could figure it out. Port forwarding..you name it nothing would work.

So I exchanged it for a SB6120 today...I still have the same issues

1. No iTunes
2. No IM services (yahoo or MSN)
3. Not able to upload into photobucket or YouTube
4. Havent tried the kids online game yet.
5. the list goes on....

I have searched this to no tomorrow and I cant believe something so simple is a PITA!!!

I search and read that Comcast is blocking these ports. If that was the case I would think I wouldn't have been able to use these programs in the past unless they have something set up in the modem you rent from them?

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
So you have some internet?
Old 09-26-09, 06:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes I have been working with both modems. I though the firewall on the first modem was the hold up...but I am back to the same point.

the only difference now is that I do not "rent" my modem from Comcast. I have a supported modem on their list also so I should be good to go.
Old 09-26-09, 09:14 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike...sent you a txt message. Why you live so far away
Old 09-27-09, 06:12 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes they have the new modem registered. All my settings in my windows firewall are the same as they where before so it has the same exceptions. I took them out and that didnt work so I put them back in.

I updated iTunes to the latest/greatest and when I first started it I got a message to make sure that my setup was not on a proxy server. I checked and the setting was already what they said it should be?
Old 09-27-09, 07:44 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Mike, I'll give you a call later today to see if we can get this worked out, is Outlook working now?
Old 09-27-09, 09:33 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^No I haven't even tried that out yet, I cleared out my acct and had the thunderbird but that didnt work either so I just deleted it off the PC.

Thank you!
Old 09-27-09, 09:59 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Are you using wireless? Did you try directly connecting the modem to the PC? That's odd. Factory settings for these routers should not block any of that stuff.
Old 09-27-09, 10:10 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I have heard this as well with some ports. It probably is going to require Comcast to provided yet a new modem and also a tech to come out.
Old 09-27-09, 10:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VikH
Are you using wireless? Did you try directly connecting the modem to the PC? That's odd. Factory settings for these routers should not block any of that stuff.
The first one had a firewall on it so that I feel was an issue. Now this modem doesnt so that is why it makes no sense that these are not working

I was able to click on the error message from MSN IM and it said something about communication to the port I have an exception in my firewall for this and the other programs to allow traffic through these ports as I understand it anyway.

Henry stopped over and looked at the last modem for me and he had no luck. So I figured best to go back to the standalone modem and router. I do not have the router connected yet until I can get the modem working directly on my PC first. Unless I should try the other way
Old 09-27-09, 10:57 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

My parents have the SBG900 and it works great. The firewall is always on and they don't have any problems. Is this happening on all your computers?
Old 09-27-09, 11:13 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ that is what I just took back to the store for the SB6120. Its just on my PC right now and no router is connected. I just have the one main PC at the house now. I havent tried my sons lap top or xBox yet. xBox worked with the SBG900 but my son could not log into his online game. I guess it needed battlex port if I understand. I tried port forwarding, no firewall, you name it I couldnt get the SBG900 to work. Ask Henry how crazy it was. Firewall off and still things wouldnt work?

Are they on Comcast?
Old 09-27-09, 11:50 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Yeah, it was the weirdest thing...I thought by turning off the firewall, it should've opened everything up. But still we were having issues with connecting with i-tunes. Before resetting the modem back to factory settings, if the modem firewall setting was changed to anything else but medium, the internet would not work.

It's really weird that there are issues when using just a cable modem. I didn't even think to bring my laptop when I came over
Old 09-28-09, 05:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

haha....well 3 months later I finally figured this out. It was one setting that was off. I guess the last modem was probably just fine but well its all working so I am not messing with it.

Old 09-29-09, 11:31 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

What setting?

Quick Reply: Comcast Internet Help