Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Bob's TT 6-Speed SC"400"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 06:23 PM
k93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where and how much did that gertrag??? is it better then th tt 5 speed or should i say worth it????
Old 01-22-07, 08:20 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by k93
where and how much did that gertrag??? is it better then th tt 5 speed or should i say worth it????
...the MKIV Supra TT was mated to a 6 speed getrag from the factory
Old 01-23-07, 03:34 AM
k93
Driver

ok how much are they going for and do you know where i can purchase one???? come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 01-23-07, 11:23 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

what a beast...I will definitely be doing this in the future...

I had the opportunity to install the 5spd into my SC400, but I opted for the newer gated shifter conversion...

As soon as I boost, getrag all the way!!
Old 01-23-07, 06:49 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey guys, I got lucky, and a friend (Chrisman) got the trans for a local trans shop. I got it for a great price, again I got lucky. I'm pretty sure they don't have any more, but I'll ask him tonight.
It wasn't an easy task yo mate it to the 400, but it can be done.
Hopefully she'll be on the road soon, and I can let you know how it turned out.
Old 01-23-07, 09:37 PM
deanp
Driver School Candidate

total sickness. I think its safe to say that this is aproaching the ultimate sc setup. maybe im just blind but how did you mount the 6 speed. it looks like the original bellhousing with the getrag name cast into the side. did you have to use the supra tt master cylinder?
Old 01-25-07, 08:57 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanp
total sickness. I think its safe to say that this is aproaching the ultimate sc setup. maybe im just blind but how did you mount the 6 speed. it looks like the original bellhousing with the getrag name cast into the side. did you have to use the supra tt master cylinder?

Thanks Deanp I don't know if it's the ultimate, but it's pretty cool to have an aluminum block, DOHC, 48 valve, twin turbo, 6-speed, with a LSD rearend.

I used an adapter plate to mount the Getrag. The adapter plate bolts to the motor, and then the Trans bolt to the plate.
I believe Eric (Cowboybop) makes one.

Getting the parts is confusing! Some parts have to come from the 5-speed SC300, and some need to come from the 6-speed TT Supra.
The interior pieces are from the SC300, (Pedals, shifter boot) and so is the master cyl. The supras master is probably the same part, but I don't know for sure.
I thought I had everything correct, but I made a couple mistakes.

The shifter and all the parts that bolt on to the Trans come from the Supra.
As far as the clutch itself, I'm using a Quarter Master clutch, and they make a hydraulic throw out bearing which will work with the clutch. If you were using a stock clutch redrilled for the 1UZ you would need to figure that out.

Last edited by rdm20fan; 01-25-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 09:07 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Guys, I was kickin @$$, and taken names yesterday!!
I got the motor & Trans back in the car, plus a lot of the little stuff, alot of the wiring, got the harness back in the pass compartment which is a pain.
Got the automatics selector out of the center console which is also a pain in the @$$.
Drilled out the holes for the clutch master cyl. Kinna a pain.

Anyway, some good news is the Getrag fits in the tunnel. Not even 1 hammer blow was needed to fit it!!!
I had read somewhere that on the Supra the tunnel for the auto, and the manual was different, and the auto tunnel needed to be removed, and the manual one put in. That is not the case on the SC. I believe that the shifter will also line up with the stock hole in the tunnel for the auto's selector. This may need to be clearanced for the shifter, but it won't be much, and that would still be alot easier then putting in a new floor!!
The Getrag (Even with the adapter plate) is shorter then the auto trans. So the drive shaft is short. Plus the drive shaft wouldn't bolt up cause of the different flange on the back of the Getrag Vs the Auto even if it were the same length.
Anyway, I'm all excited about it!
I didn't take any pictures, but will try and remember to bring my camera tonight.

Oh Yeah thanks Chris (DIrEctQL) for holding my hose last night while I bored out that hole. LOL
Sorry Chris I had to!
Old 01-25-07, 01:53 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

badass car...
Old 01-30-07, 07:10 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
... but it's pretty cool to have an aluminum block, DOHC, 48 valve, twin turbo, 6-speed, with a LSD rearend....
Understatement of the year

Bob, your car is fantastic. I'm very excited seeing the 400 get boost. I know the I-6 is smooth, but nothing compared to the V-8.. Can't wait to see the numbers!
Old 01-30-07, 11:31 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Thanks Guys. The cars at home in the garage right now. the motor & trans are at C.M. Racing In Palatine for you local Chitown guys.
I'm sure I've seen your car/motor/tran before.
I go to Top Setup once a while. I'm the guy with a blue and yellow race integra. Not sure if you've seen it sitting there before.
Old 01-31-07, 08:38 PM
amul
Rookie

Oh man! That's some serious undertaking. I am so amazed by what projects some of you take on. I don't even want to ask how much blood,sweat, tears, and most important, $$$$ you will have spent once the project is completed. Nice work

I thought I did well when I did my first brake job
Old 02-01-07, 10:51 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wai
I'm sure I've seen your car/motor/tran before.
I go to Top Setup once a while. I'm the guy with a blue and yellow race integra. Not sure if you've seen it sitting there before.
Hey Wai, we've exchanged friendly hello's.
My SC is the white one thats in the shop right now. I'm sure you've seen it, it's been there enough.
LOL
Old 02-01-07, 10:54 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amul
Oh man! That's some serious undertaking. I am so amazed by what projects some of you take on. I don't even want to ask how much blood,sweat, tears, and most important, $$$$ you will have spent once the project is completed. Nice work

I thought I did well when I did my first brake job
Thanks amul The car takes up alot of blood, sweat, and $. She hasn't made me cry too much, but it may happen!

I've just learned to be patient and work on it as I can. No deadlines.
Old 02-02-07, 09:10 AM
RAYRAY
Driver

good prevails over evil...

Quick Reply: Bob's TT 6-Speed SC"400"