Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Hand Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 06:00 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Car Wash?

Fellas....well with the winter months coming, it's going to be pretty hard to wash my car outside. Anyone know of a hand car wash? I checked out Boardwalk and they still put the cars through a tire guiderail system... I work in Des Plaines, live in Wheaton, and pass through Schaumburg on the way home....let me know
Old 11-02-06, 08:01 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

My garage....I have both hot and cold water spickets in the garage. During the coldest of months, I'll empty the garage of the two cars, bring the one that needs to be washed in, close the door, turn on the heat lamps, and start washing away.

By the time I'm done with the wash, the heat lamps have warmed up the garage enough that I can dry off the car, and give it a quick polish. If I'm warmed up enough, I'll give the car a really quick coat of low-grade non-cleaner wax for extra protection from the elements.

**Also, while I'm washing the car, I let an oscillating sprinkler run on low pressure under the car. It moistens all the dried salt on the underbody, and allows it to drip off.

You're more than welcome to come by during the winter for a quick wash. Just give me a call a day or two before so that I can have the garage clean, and make sure that I'm free.
Old 11-02-06, 08:20 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its kind of out of the way, but I go to a hand car wash in Libertyville.

They do have a tire rail system to pull the car through the wash, but it is much lower than your typical car wash rail, and it is only on one side. The rail itself is actually covered with a plastic covering as well.

I was VERY VERY VERY **** everytime I brought my car there. I would watch in the window with a hawks eye. They are very careful with the car, and will normally try to position the wheel so that the wheel is not near the rail of the car. With my 16's the rail doesnt come up to the rim itself, with my 17's the rail would come a bit past the rim, but I've never gotten any scratches on my rims from that railing system.

I always see people pulling their porsches, bmw's, and mercedes through there(not that that says much in itself). My co-worker recommended the place, her husband with a dinan 7 series and 18" BBS RGR's goes there....(she didnt tell me thats what they were, but I saw for myself). Doesnt drive in rain or snow. Thought to myself, that if its good enough for him, I'd give it a try.

Won't go anywhere else for a car wash that I don't do myself. The Lexus... well I've taken that through your typical gas station car wash for convenience purposes....

Its called Auto Expo and detailing. The website is here if you're interested. They also have an $11 exterior only wash, where they don't vaccum the interior. They still wash the windows inside and out usually though.

http://www.autoexpodetailing.com/index.html
Old 11-02-06, 06:55 PM
Zetroc
Driver School Candidate

There is a hand wash in Naperville on Ogden Ave in the auto mall across from the Mercedes / Nissan dealerships. I will be checking them out soon and let you know about service / cost.
Old 11-02-06, 07:35 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very slick!

Originally Posted by Luder94
**Also, while I'm washing the car, I let an oscillating sprinkler run on low pressure under the car.
my biggest pev about cleaning cars is windows, inside and out. i use foam glass cleaner from our body shop and newsprint for streak-free glass. nothing worse than seeing the car wash guy use a towel to dry the exterior of my car, then move onto the inside glass with the same rag and some blue/red spray
Old 11-03-06, 03:03 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Im in the city so I use Tops Car wash on Western Between Diversey. its all Hand and know the owner. Probably way out of your way.
Old 11-05-06, 05:00 PM
LBC
Rookie

i use motorcity in melrose park, or sqeaky d'z on manhiem. both hand wash, no rails

or in addison there is sudstational on lake street and lombard road, behind applebees
Old 11-05-06, 11:41 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Auto Expo is 5 mins from my house. They're pretty good. I try to wash my car in the garage if i have to. A hand car wash is my LAST LAST resort.

Originally Posted by tcho82
Well its kind of out of the way, but I go to a hand car wash in Libertyville.

They do have a tire rail system to pull the car through the wash, but it is much lower than your typical car wash rail, and it is only on one side. The rail itself is actually covered with a plastic covering as well.

I was VERY VERY VERY **** everytime I brought my car there. I would watch in the window with a hawks eye. They are very careful with the car, and will normally try to position the wheel so that the wheel is not near the rail of the car. With my 16's the rail doesnt come up to the rim itself, with my 17's the rail would come a bit past the rim, but I've never gotten any scratches on my rims from that railing system.

I always see people pulling their porsches, bmw's, and mercedes through there(not that that says much in itself). My co-worker recommended the place, her husband with a dinan 7 series and 18" BBS RGR's goes there....(she didnt tell me thats what they were, but I saw for myself). Doesnt drive in rain or snow. Thought to myself, that if its good enough for him, I'd give it a try.

Won't go anywhere else for a car wash that I don't do myself. The Lexus... well I've taken that through your typical gas station car wash for convenience purposes....

Its called Auto Expo and detailing. The website is here if you're interested. They also have an $11 exterior only wash, where they don't vaccum the interior. They still wash the windows inside and out usually though.

http://www.autoexpodetailing.com/index.html
Old 11-06-06, 09:02 AM
Lupin5
Driver

Originally Posted by cHiTwNGS43
Fellas....well with the winter months coming, it's going to be pretty hard to wash my car outside. Anyone know of a hand car wash? I checked out Boardwalk and they still put the cars through a tire guiderail system... I work in Des Plaines, live in Wheaton, and pass through Schaumburg on the way home....let me know
There are two around that area that I know of. One is half a block south of Arlington Heights Rd and Golf Rd., located in a plaza in the corner in Arlington Heights. The sign says Hand Carwash above the store. Cost is about 12.00. The other place is located off of Wise Rd. in Schaumburg. Its a couple of blocks West of Salem Rd. on the left in a Plaza. I forgot the name and haven't been there for a while since the Arlington Heights location is closer to be. They did a decent job from what I can recall. Cost is about 15.00. I would think they are still around.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-06, 12:32 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you guys are that hard core. But its just too friggin cold during the winter to hand wash in the garage. Plus wouldn't all the water run down and freeze over the floor? Or at the least dribble down and collect where the garage door is, and THEN freeze? The last thing I'd want is a nice sheet of ice in front of my garage door.
Old 11-25-06, 08:12 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Wheaton as well and found Sudsational in Downers Grove to be the best around. They are located on Ogden accross from Steak & Shake.

The also have one on Lake street in Addision, about $17.00 w/out tires.
Old 12-01-06, 08:22 AM
nat4103
Driver

Hello Gents;
I Was Wondering If The Use Of The Garage Was Still Being Offered & How Much Would U Charge To Use It & Where R U Located? I Really Do Not Like Car Wash Places To Wash My Car, I Am Kind Of ****, Sorry, Lol!!! I Live In Elmwood Park Il.