Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Chicago Tint Shop Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 07:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually purchased 35% tint for our grocery getter and figure I will give it a try. Just need to grab a heat gun and see how good I can make it look. Maybe in a few weeks I will get to it and post up pics and how it goes
Old 12-28-12, 07:55 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I actually purchased 35% tint for our grocery getter and figure I will give it a try. Just need to grab a heat gun and see how good I can make it look. Maybe in a few weeks I will get to it and post up pics and how it goes
Good luck Mike! I've tried to tint my IS so many times and it hasn't come out perfect yet. Going to the dealer to have it done lol.
Old 01-04-13, 03:36 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a place to tint, suggestions? I have a RX 300 & the passenger windows have the factory tints (greenish).

I want it to be dark but still be legal & get no tickets for it. Oh, and a reasonable price as well, on a budget.
Old 01-04-13, 09:29 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chi123
Good luck Mike! I've tried to tint my IS so many times and it hasn't come out perfect yet. Going to the dealer to have it done lol.
just arrived so will see

Originally Posted by MnM24
Need a place to tint, suggestions? I have a RX 300 & the passenger windows have the factory tints (greenish).

I want it to be dark but still be legal & get no tickets for it. Oh, and a reasonable price as well, on a budget.
depends on where you reside and where your willing to drive to. If your in Chicago they are ticketing for anything on front windows, however, IL states your allowed 50%. If your in the burbs I never seem to have any issues. I would add tint to the side windows, leave the rear hatch, and then go with 35% on the front doors IMO. Will give it a nice balance and still allow you to see out the rear at night.
Old 01-11-13, 12:41 PM
MnM24
Intermediate

depends on where you reside and where your willing to drive to. If your in Chicago they are ticketing for anything on front windows, however, IL states your allowed 50%. If your in the burbs I never seem to have any issues. I would add tint to the side windows, leave the rear hatch, and then go with 35% on the front doors IMO. Will give it a nice balance and still allow you to see out the rear at night.
I'm in Barrington, I just got off the phone with Caesar and he said he would do it for $150 however it's a long drive there to the city though. He said to drop in anytime Monday to Saturday 9am-5am and it would take 2 hours.

The lower the % is the darker it is right? I already have the factory tints but I'm going to go 35% with the 4 windows.

What should I do for the rear windshield? I want to see out of it but I don't want anyone able to see anyone inside though.
Old 01-11-13, 04:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I'm in Barrington, I just got off the phone with Caesar and he said he would do it for $150 however it's a long drive there to the city though. He said to drop in anytime Monday to Saturday 9am-5am and it would take 2 hours.
Not too bad of a drive from Barrington, much closer places but you will pay much more in the burbs.

The lower the % is the darker it is right? I already have the factory tints but I'm going to go 35% with the 4 windows.
Yes that is correct.

What should I do for the rear windshield? I want to see out of it but I don't want anyone able to see anyone inside though.
I wouldn't touch the rear if you want to be able to see out. I think, Cesar may recall, I did 35% on the front doors of the Audi and did 15% on all the passenger side windows and left the rear window alone. The Audi is longer with the 3rd row then the RX and I also had black interior.

think I posted a pic of the Audi in this thread if you want to dig. I no longer have it and have deleted the pics from my old phone.
Old 01-12-13, 01:31 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

Not too bad of a drive from Barrington, much closer places but you will pay much more in the burbs.

Yes that is correct.

I wouldn't touch the rear if you want to be able to see out. I think, Cesar may recall, I did 35% on the front doors of the Audi and did 15% on all the passenger side windows and left the rear window alone. The Audi is longer with the 3rd row then the RX and I also had black interior.

think I posted a pic of the Audi in this thread if you want to dig. I no longer have it and have deleted the pics from my old phone.
If I already have tints in the back windows, I can put it to 15% like yoy did?

What's the rules on tints in IL? And my interior isn't black, its a tan color
Old 01-12-13, 10:44 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

your car will look lighter then what my Audi did since it was all black interior.

as for being legal..only 50% on your front doors and nothing on any other door is what your allowed to do.

you can apply what ever you want you just have to be careful. I personally haven't had any issues with tinted windows in years. I drove the Audi into the city and all over the place and never had any issues. But you can get a ticket if you tint all the windows.
Old 01-12-13, 11:46 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

your car will look lighter then what my Audi did since it was all black interior.

as for being legal..only 50% on your front doors and nothing on any other door is what your allowed to do.

you can apply what ever you want you just have to be careful. I personally haven't had any issues with tinted windows in years. I drove the Audi into the city and all over the place and never had any issues. But you can get a ticket if you tint all the windows.
I saw the pics of your audi in this thread, that looked like Caesar did a really great job. At night time, can the person in the other lane actually see anyone / you in the car and what you're doing?

Also does having tints lower the value of the car if I was going to sell it?
Old 01-12-13, 01:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

only that there was someone sitting in the front seats looking thru the front doors. It was rather dark, I think Cesar talked me out of the rear window if I recall and I was glad he did because I couldn't see out the side windows at all when it was dark so backing up and making lane changes was a little more interesting

as to the value if its good tint (no bubbles, fading, ect..) then I would say no. It could prevent someone from buying your car but its removable.
Old 01-13-13, 04:45 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

only that there was someone sitting in the front seats looking thru the front doors. It was rather dark, I think Cesar talked me out of the rear window if I recall and I was glad he did because I couldn't see out the side windows at all when it was dark so backing up and making lane changes was a little more interesting
I want to do this:
- Replace the greenish factory tint with Caesar's tint & for the 5 windows, front, back, & rear windshield (I've already asked Caesar about it & it's $150) to put it darkest it can legally go.

Also, do I have to keep it inside for a couple days or so? I have school Monday to Friday so I was thinking of getting the tint job on a Friday or Saturday.
Old 01-13-13, 06:35 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

where do you go to school? (you may have issues with tinted windows)
Old 01-13-13, 12:07 PM
MnM24
Intermediate

where do you go to school? (you may have issues with tinted windows)
Barrington
Old 01-14-13, 06:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

You "may" have trouble with the tints then. How many others have their windows tinted at school? I got harassed in school but they never did anything. It was just annoying and got old fast. I think I took off the tint a few times and had it installed again.
Old 01-21-13, 08:47 PM
AdamDas35
Driver School Candidate

They changed the state law that you can have - 35% all the way around // 50% up front with 30% in back // nothing up front with anything in back.
I believe Chicago laws are nothing up front regardless of what is in back.

I got 35% all the way around on my white GS with tan interior. Live in the suburbs and work in Chicago, never have any issues.

As for a tint shop, I got mine done at Performance Detailing in Orland Park. Paid $250, but you get what you pay for. Perfect job on the tints, no scuffs/marks on the doors from the labor.

Quick Reply: Chicago Tint Shop Thread