Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Chicago Tint Shop Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 07:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamDas35
They changed the state law that you can have - 35% all the way around // 50% up front with 30% in back // nothing up front with anything in back.
I believe Chicago laws are nothing up front regardless of what is in back.

I got 35% all the way around on my white GS with tan interior. Live in the suburbs and work in Chicago, never have any issues.

As for a tint shop, I got mine done at Performance Detailing in Orland Park. Paid $250, but you get what you pay for. Perfect job on the tints, no scuffs/marks on the doors from the labor.
We recently bought an Audi CUV that has the privacy glass in the rear and went with the legal 50% on the front driver and passenger windows. I would have preferred a little darker but the 50% is OK.

There are several good tint shops in the Orland area. Performance, Tint To U and Abe's (Mokena). I've used Abe's and Tint To U and have been happy with both - Haven't tried Performance but heard good things.
Old 01-28-13, 07:33 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default See your Car in Tint

As a former glass tinter I enjoy hearing different tint stories. Everyone likes Cesar for 150 tint jobs. Nothing wrong with 150 tint job. Cesars reviews show he is a good installer. What you are getting is standard dyed polyester film. What most of you don't realize is that there are now High performance ceramic films that reject more heat and cost more. I prefer Johnson films for my cars . Here is a great auto tinter link pick your ride pick your tint , pick your shade http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/car_tinter/tinter.php
Old 01-28-13, 07:53 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by groomerz
As a former glass tinter I enjoy hearing different tint stories. Everyone likes Cesar for 150 tint jobs. Nothing wrong with 150 tint job. Cesars reviews show he is a good installer. What you are getting is standard dyed polyester film. What most of you don't realize is that there are now High performance ceramic films that reject more heat and cost more. I prefer Johnson films for my cars . Here is a great auto tinter link pick your ride pick your tint , pick your shade http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/car_tinter/tinter.php
Caesar uses Johnson tints...for his "$150 tint job"
Old 01-28-13, 08:16 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Johnson makes 8 different product lines of film though starting at standard single layer dyed film, dual layer, metallic, aluminize and ceramic. Just wanted to tell people that there is more to tinting than just the light admintance number , ie 20,35, 50. The films have become high tech
Old 10-06-13, 09:12 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: I got my windows tinted in July 2013 with 3M ceramic 40%. after getting it, i felt it was too light.

a window was recently replaced, so now I'm going to get it retinted but with something darker. I have a parchment interior so I'm thinking 3M ceramic 30% or maybe something darker. I occasionally go to downtown chicago 1-2x a month, so I'm wary about going to 20% but I'm sure the parchment interior makes the interior seem brighter even with tint.

I called up Umbra's to get an estimate. They no longer carry 3M ceramic
I called up Performance Tinting in Orland/Tinley Park and they no longer carry ceramic tints (despite what their website says)

Tint to U has ceramic tint, but it is the Llumar brand

I really like the heat blocking performance of the ceramic tint, so i'm reluctant to go back to 3M color stable, etc
Old 10-06-13, 11:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uicandrew
update: I got my windows tinted in July 2013 with 3M ceramic 40%. after getting it, i felt it was too light.

a window was recently replaced, so now I'm going to get it retinted but with something darker. I have a parchment interior so I'm thinking 3M ceramic 30% or maybe something darker. I occasionally go to downtown chicago 1-2x a month, so I'm wary about going to 20% but I'm sure the parchment interior makes the interior seem brighter even with tint.

I called up Umbra's to get an estimate. They no longer carry 3M ceramic
I called up Performance Tinting in Orland/Tinley Park and they no longer carry ceramic tints (despite what their website says)

Tint to U has ceramic tint, but it is the Llumar brand

I really like the heat blocking performance of the ceramic tint, so i'm reluctant to go back to 3M color stable, etc
Have you considered 3M Crystalline? It's not ceramic, but gets very good reviews for all of the important properties. I have it on one car (from Abe's in Mokena) and have Llumar, not ceramic though, from Tint To U on the other.
Old 10-06-13, 12:12 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Have you considered 3M Crystalline? It's not ceramic, but gets very good reviews for all of the important properties. I have it on one car (from Abe's in Mokena) and have Llumar, not ceramic though, from Tint To U on the other.
unfortunately, the darkest that the crystalline comes in is 40% and i'm trying to get darker.

I went to abe's the first time and they did my ceramic tint (they special ordered it for me, but their supplier says it is out of stock right now)

i think the fact that my car is parchment inside (vs black) makes it seem lighter.

I actually called Tint to U and they have llumar (ceramic version) in 30%

what level is your tinting in your cars?
Old 10-06-13, 01:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

unfortunately, the darkest that the crystalline comes in is 40% and i'm trying to get darker.

I went to abe's the first time and they did my ceramic tint (they special ordered it for me, but their supplier says it is out of stock right now)

i think the fact that my car is parchment inside (vs black) makes it seem lighter.

I actually called Tint to U and they have llumar (ceramic version) in 30%

what level is your tinting in your cars?
The car with Llumar (tan interior) has 40%. 35% is legal here in IL so I went the conservative route just to avoid any hassles. The 3M Crystalline car is a CUV and has 50% on the front driver and passenger side windows. The 50% is legal on a vehicle with privacy glass in the rear. It has a black interior and the 50% looks OK. I decided to go with the legal % on this one too.
Old 11-02-13, 12:24 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

i ended up getting 15% ceramic done at tint to you in orland park. they didn't come to me, but i waited there.

they did a good job. took 3 hrs, but they also removed the tint off 4 windows.
Old 11-03-13, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

i ended up getting 15% ceramic done at tint to you in orland park. they didn't come to me, but i waited there.

they did a good job. took 3 hrs, but they also removed the tint off 4 windows.
I had a good experience at Tint To U and would use them again.
Old 11-04-13, 05:44 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Default FYI Factory tint 2-7% on some cars

lex bob you were smart going with 40% tint because some cars have 2-7% tint in the factory glass. What it means is if you get 35% film and 35 is legal you could meter illegal 30. The law states total allowable transmittance of light is 35 thru the glass. If you put 35 and you have 5% in glass already you meter at 30 and illegal. There is a small 1-2 % allowed for meter error though but that could go for or against you. Most police stations only have 1 tint meter and will measure your windows and give you a document stating the results for free. Not a bad thing to do because cops on the street issue tickets just by opinion and not by metering. Chicago issues parked cars by opinion . In order to meter a window both sides of glass need to be accessed , which you can't do when a car is parked. My friend who owns a tint business which caters to luxury dealers always steers people to 37 or 40 tint because of the factory tint
Old 12-09-13, 05:33 PM
Blade223
Driver School Candidate

Anyone use Madico tint films?
I go the same price quoted on 3M (Abe's Mokena) and Madico (Riggs Bros Downers Grove).

thoughts?
Old 12-24-13, 03:19 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

abes in mokena. he just did a expel clear bra and tinted my tails on my 2014 is350 fsport.
Old 12-24-13, 08:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by larry13
abes in mokena. he just did a expel clear bra and tinted my tails on my 2014 is350 fsport.
I can vouch for Abe's too. He tinted the windows on our '13 Audi. Nice job.

Tint To U in Orland Park is very good too. He uses Llumar film.
Old 12-24-13, 09:43 PM
Blade223
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I can vouch for Abe's too. He tinted the windows on our '13 Audi. Nice job.

Tint To U in Orland Park is very good too. He uses Llumar film.
Abe's did the tints on my GS350 about a week ago. So far so good. Looks great and I know he'll stand behind it.

Thinking about doing the clear bra as well.

Quick Reply: Chicago Tint Shop Thread