Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Chicago Tint Shop Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 01:17 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Theres a guy in Milwaukee, who I think is the best tint guy around here.....

Send me a PM and I can give the info.. I don't want to put his info here, because I wrote some negative things about him..
You had a bad experience wrote negative things about him, yet your willing to give out his information and refer people to his work?
Old 10-25-12, 01:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the amount of water they would get on the dash is harmless but they should have covered it up. If that is your only negative sounds like a worthy shop for those that are close and looking. Not so sure I would want someone taking the doors apart causing possible rattles and of course depending on the car many would not want this done. It must make it easier for the installer with it off.

Curious how dark do you go on your front windshield?

I think I'm going to do mine this next time and scare my neighbors yelling and swearing as I get pissed off lol.
Old 10-25-12, 01:48 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
You had a bad experience wrote negative things about him, yet your willing to give out his information and refer people to his work?
Sure.. I was truthful about my experience. I believe that he corrected the water/covering thing. I have given him many of my cars since that bad experience. For example, he did my 2012 jaguar XF, 2012 Passat, three of 2008 LS 600HLs, one 2007 LS 460L, a couple of RXs.. quite a few cars.. I sent a few of my friends.. He is just about the best in this business. Last year, I sent a honda accord to a ziebart place, which claimed the guy had 30 year experience.. only because my guy was busy (he is always too busy! I had to leave my Jaguar with him for 5 days, because I needed it done immediately and I didn't make an appointment 1 month ahead!.. Same thing with a few of my 600s. If I needed a car done in a hurry, without appointment, I ended up leaving them with him of a week! He is that busy.. But he is absolutely worth the wait.. Anyway, the one time, I didn't use him.. the ziebart guy.. screwed up.. bubbles.. First they will tell you to wait a summer month and it would go away. It never went away - I went back.. then they admit that it was the dust.. they offered to redo.. but who has time for that? it was only an accord.. I let it go..

Bottom line: Yes, I would recommend him highly!
Old 10-25-12, 01:51 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I think the amount of water they would get on the dash is harmless but they should have covered it up. If that is your only negative sounds like a worthy shop for those that are close and looking. Not so sure I would want someone taking the doors apart causing possible rattles and of course depending on the car many would not want this done. It must make it easier for the installer with it off.

Curious how dark do you go on your front windshield?

I think I'm going to do mine this next time and scare my neighbors yelling and swearing as I get pissed off lol.
This guy knows what he is doing, when it comes to pulling door panels out of a lexus. He has worked on may be 8 to 10 of my Lexuses and one 2000 S class.. On two occasions, as I wrote, he forgot to hook up the door open cable, which he fixed in 5 mins, when I went back.. Other than that, there is absolutely no problem - no rattle.. nothing..

Also, the key is to have a shop with no dust flying around..
Old 10-25-12, 02:13 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

I'm in Milwaukee a lot. There is a place on Layton that always has nice cars in the lot.

We talking about the same place.
Old 10-25-12, 02:56 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I'm in Milwaukee a lot. There is a place on Layton that always has nice cars in the lot.

We talking about the same place.
No, he is not on Layton. Nice cars in the lot of the tint shop, I assume? What is that place? layton and what steet? I will stop in and see.. just curious..
Old 10-25-12, 03:38 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

No, he is not on Layton. Nice cars in the lot of the tint shop, I assume? What is that place? layton and what street? I will stop in and see.. just curious..
Close to the airport, not sure the cross street, I'll most likely be driving by tomorrow night. I'll check then. I don't know if its a tint shop or a custom shop or what. Just there has been some decent rides in the lot that don't look common to the area.
Old 10-25-12, 04:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^How are the roads in WI compared to Chicago?

I still see possible rattles/issues with taking off the door panel. Both of my Lexus had rattles and creeks before anything was touched on them. What other cars do they frequently work on? Curious what the guys with exotics think about door panels coming off.

What else do they do/offer?

The dust part is definitely key and a disadvantage to those that are in the city with how poorly the streets are.
Old 10-25-12, 04:26 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

^How are the roads in WI compared to Chicago? ....
Roads up there are a little better than Chicago we'll see this winter.
Old 10-28-12, 07:52 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

^How are the roads in WI compared to Chicago?

I still see possible rattles/issues with taking off the door panel. Both of my Lexus had rattles and creeks before anything was touched on them. What other cars do they frequently work on? Curious what the guys with exotics think about door panels coming off.

What else do they do/offer?

The dust part is definitely key and a disadvantage to those that are in the city with how poorly the streets are.
As I wrote, he had pulled the door panels for many of my Lexus cars (6+2 or 3?) for over 12 years. Rattle has never been an issue. Clearly, I wrote the two issues I had (forgetting to hook up the door opening cable - which is easily fixed in 5 mins by him.. so.. just check all doors before you leave). He had also done my 2000 S class in 2000 but I don't think he pulled its door panels off, because, as a brand new model at that time, he chose not to do so..

They do the plastic 3m film on the front but I heard of a different company which would actually film the entire front hood and not just the front portion. I have not tried that new company and I would do so for my next car, if I buy one. If I lease one, I won't bother to, of course. I plan to lease. The front film can be done by anyone and I would try that new company.. But for window tint, this it the BEST, in my opinion. Apparently, their sister company does remote start installs but I have not tried them yet.. I use a different company for remote start (with whom I am not happy now, after 10 years and 6+ cars!).
Old 10-28-12, 08:09 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does Cesar charge and how long does it take him to do the job?
Old 10-28-12, 08:44 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Depends how many cars he has to do that day, price is according to how many windows. My 2gs was a $125. For 20% all around.
Old 10-28-12, 09:05 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Depends how many cars he has to do that day, price is according to how many windows. My 2gs was a $125. For 20% all around.
Including read windshield, only $125? Is his work "bubble free"? Not that I would actually go to Chicago to have it done.. just curious.. that sounds very inexpensive!
Old 10-28-12, 07:41 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Including read windshield, only $125? Is his work "bubble free"? Not that I would actually go to Chicago to have it done.. just curious.. that sounds very inexpensive!
I had the 2GS for three years. Tinted about a month after I bought it. Never had a problem with bubbles, other than the initial two days of bubbles from the install.
Sorry, no windshield tint. just doors and rear. This was also 4 years ago.

Last edited by neurocity; 10-28-12 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 06:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ actually to answer his question yes because they are calling the rear window "rear windshield" unless I am reading their post wrong. So Yes it was $125 for all windows except his front windshield.

Now I do my front windshield, not the entire thing, about 12 inches down from the top blacked out to give a banner like sun blocker. He charges the same for adding this. At least that's what he has done for me. I actually give him more when I go in because I add the windshield and I think his work is worth more to me. As I have stated in several posts price doesn't win my business and I hate to be cheap.

I hate having the sun in my eyes while driving and the banner like idea has worked for years for me. So far never had any issues with local PD's and its why I haven't pushed doing the entire windshield because I would have to go much lighter and lose out on that added protection that I think serves better use then lighter coverage on the entire windshield. I recently saw another local car enthusiasts had an actual banner installed from the inside that is even darker and looked really good. Only draw back is you loose out on some viewable area since its non transparent.

This is why I have had a hard time doing my own window tint. For the price and the quality of work it just doesn't seem worth the amount of time I would invest and of course how well mine would turn out. I have three cars that I need done but haven't had the time to take them in yet and have pondered the idea of just going in my heated garage at night while the family is sleeping and give it a shot. I think you can buy pre-cut sheets similar to what the tint installer is doing in WI just getting it pre-cut already.

As long as I live in Chicago I have one place to take my cars unless I where ever to install myself. I left an "OK" installer that would come to my house and charged about the same. The work just wasn't there but I did use this guy for a few years. I gave Cesar a shot after seeing his work and haven't looked back since. There is a reason why many of the locals praise his work. But at the end of the day you get to choose who you go see

Quick Reply: Chicago Tint Shop Thread