Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 01:41 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

All indications were pointing to an all-new model. This is disappointing. But lately Toyota/Lexus has made a habit of keeping models longer than others. The 2IS went through a very similar life, with two facelifts. Yet another form of cost-cutting.
Old 03-23-17, 01:45 AM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a facelift. Toyota has a habit of not blazing trails, they let the other manufacturers take the risk, Toyota sits back, watches, and plots. seems to work for em.
Old 03-23-17, 01:46 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is disappointing, this gen is from 2011! Almost every other van on the market now is 1-2 years old...
Old 03-23-17, 05:51 AM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

It's not unusual for Toyota to go 7+ years on certain models, look how long they had the Tacoma in Gen2
Old 03-23-17, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Minivans are a little bit different thing. They're all about the latest setups in seating and kid entertainment and family convenience. At this point the Sienna is quite the dinosaur.
Old 03-23-17, 07:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
All indications were pointing to an all-new model. This is disappointing. But lately Toyota/Lexus has made a habit of keeping models longer than others. The 2IS went through a very similar life, with two facelifts. Yet another form of cost-cutting.
It may not be due to cost cutting. It may be a stop-gap until the completely new model, on the new TNGA platform, comes out. Transitioning a complete lineup of vehicles to a completely new platform, with radically different manufacturing methods, takes great effort, which requires time and money, and staggering introductions to do well.

Introducing a new Sienna at this point would mean delaying the TNGA-platform Sienna for 5 or 6 years instead of 2. People would be complaining either way, but with this stop-gap, they are complaining for only 2 years instead of 5 or 6 (and possibly not buying the new model because they want to wait for the new model on the new platform).
Old 03-23-17, 11:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It may not be due to cost cutting. It may be a stop-gap until the completely new model, on the new TNGA platform, comes out. Transitioning a complete lineup of vehicles to a completely new platform, with radically different manufacturing methods, takes great effort, which requires time and money, and staggering introductions to do well.

Introducing a new Sienna at this point would mean delaying the TNGA-platform Sienna for 5 or 6 years instead of 2. People would be complaining either way, but with this stop-gap, they are complaining for only 2 years instead of 5 or 6 (and possibly not buying the new model because they want to wait for the new model on the new platform).
Great point, Well worded Sulu
Old 03-23-17, 12:08 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Minivans are a little bit different thing. They're all about the latest setups in seating and kid entertainment and family convenience. At this point the Sienna is quite the dinosaur.

I think the only advantage the Honda has over the Toyota from a consumer perspective is that built in vacuum cleaner (that sucks? lol)
Old 03-23-17, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
I think the only advantage the Honda has over the Toyota from a consumer perspective is that built in vacuum cleaner (that sucks? lol)
You do know the Odyssey is all new for next year right? The current Odyssey was out the same year as the Sienna and its all new for 2018. Lots of changes, some very slick adaptive seating, new platform, some very cool nigh vision camera tech for watching sleeping kids...
Old 03-23-17, 02:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You do know the Odyssey is all new for next year right? The current Odyssey was out the same year as the Sienna and its all new for 2018. Lots of changes, some very slick adaptive seating, new platform, some very cool nigh vision camera tech for watching sleeping kids...
wow time flies.

didn't realize honda's ugly zigzag beltline has been out that long
Old 03-23-17, 02:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
wow time flies.

New one still has that ugly belt line kink, but not as bad as before.
Old 03-23-17, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
wow time flies.

I've usually referred to it as this too, though recently I started hearing 'lightning bolt' more and more to describe it.
Old 03-23-17, 08:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My favorite thing about the Honda Odyssey is the ads lol. Seriously some of the best car ads in the past several years have been for a damn minivan lol.

Judas Priest shilling the Odyssey:

The van gods approve!!

Old 03-24-17, 11:02 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Honduh Oddity. Ugliest thing since the Aztek.
Old 03-24-17, 11:16 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Very disappointing and embarrassing. I clearly was led on last September by someone that interned for Toyota and worked on both the 2018 Sienna and 2018 Tundra during 2016, acting as it was something novel to discuss. He must've been blind if he thought they were redesigned or brainwashed by the same marketing drill sergeants that touted the 2015 Camry as "all-new". I know who not to trust, as the Tundra rehash was one thing due to TNGA-F, but this one doesn't make sense at all.

Originally Posted by Sulu

I greatly respect your commentary Sulu, but I must state that is not a good reason or excuse at all.

Why would they need to be delaying it at this point?

This isn't 2015 anymore, when only TNGA-C was ready to be used by the Prius.

TNGA-K is very much likely what the next Sienna will use, as I highly doubt TNGA-C would make sense nor is it exactly going body-on-frame for TNGA-F like the next Tundra and Tacoma.

If TNGA-K is here now, it should've and could've been adapted in time for an early 2018 launch, instead of this laughable refresh.

I greatly understand why they pushed back a new Tundra, as TNGA-F isn't ready, but this one is just silly when the available architecture is already there.

I do not see Toyota creating a special TNGA application for only the Sienna, unless it is a global MPV-specific one, that is vastly different from TNGA-K.

The 2016 RX understandably stuck with the "K" platform upon late 2015 launch, because TNGA-K was not yet ready and waiting for it, would've pushed back the 4RX to MY 2018 or 2019.

The first product utilizing TNGA-K goes into production in June.

Now that TNGA-K is ready, I do not see why a minivan that was launched in February 2010 (7 years ago) on the original K platform (used since 2000; 2003 for Sienna), cannot be redesigned in time.

It is just another case of Toyota somehow feeling "overwhelmed" and wanting to squeeze more money out of it, in being shrewd.

They have way too many resources and capital, to be extending life-cycles so much. I would hope they do not turn into Nissan and FCA in this respect, as only high-end products can get away with being obsolete.

The minute they introduced the last refresh in 2014, a next generation should've been halfway though development and being readied for late 2017-early 2018 launch. Not late 2019 or CY 2020 as it stands. As they can easy just push it back even further to MY 2021, like they have done with both the LC and LS (upon each respective press reveal, each car got shifted back mysteriously).

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover