Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trump talking about reviewing/rolling back 54.4 mpg fuel economy regulations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 09:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How is it possible that Trump, being as whack in the brain as they get, has way more common sense than all the smooth talking politically correct ******** in the government?
I don't want this to get political but a very successful businessman for decades who is a billionaire and guy who ran for President his first time with his own money who is not a seasoned politician managed to win against a seasoned politician with the entire media and entertainment industry on her side is not "whack in the brain" at all.
Old 03-19-17, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How is it possible that Trump, being as whack in the brain as they get, has way more common sense than all the smooth talking politically correct ******** in the government?
trump doesn't need the money, the fame, is not seeking anything else, and can just do what he feels is right, whether anyone agrees with him or not. actual politicians are not like that (pandering, buying votes with donations, etc, appealing to 'groups', etc).
Old 03-19-17, 12:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not surprisingly, this is drifting off into the usual unproductive political back and forth.
Old 03-19-17, 01:29 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Not surprisingly, this is drifting off into the usual unproductive political back and forth.
Saying President Trump has that effect, on voter's who were leaning towards dictatorship.
Old 03-19-17, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
While the moderators, of course (as it should be), have the last word on what is acceptable or not in a forum, it can often be difficult to avoid politics when it comes to a subject like Federally-imposed MPG and emission standards. Politics is where those standards originate....and, of course, how they change. They are voted on by politicians and bureaucrats (and sometimes wind up in Federal court with judges), who, in many cases, have little knowledge of the science behind them...and usually aren't car enthusiasts like we are.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ The point is there are posts on here that are political with zero to do with mileage standards. It's off topic and political posts don't belong in Car Chat.
Old 03-19-17, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^ The point is there are posts on here that are political with zero to do with mileage standards. It's off topic and political posts don't belong in Car Chat.
You can report any post that you think improper to a moderator. Just click on that small red-border triangle in the lower-left-hand corner. The mods in this forum do a good job, and they will at least check it out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 06:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We've got too many unemployed people in the Rust Belt to keep making excuses.....the time for protectionism has come. That is why Trump got elected. The protectionism he wants will actually turn the clock forward, not back. We have had decades of just the opposite....increasing globalization and outsourcing of jobs. Enough is Enough....that just won't cut it any more. Those days are gone...or will soon be. The rollback of the MPG standards (if it comes about) will also help a lot....by allowing more of the type of vehicles built that many people want, and are willing to buy.
Well, let's hope those jobs come back because the days of the people who elected Trump actually being able to buy health insurance at somewhat reasonable premiums will be gone as well.
Old 03-19-17, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well, let's hope those jobs come back because the days of the people who elected Trump actually being able to buy health insurance at somewhat reasonable premiums will be gone as well.
At least they will HAVE insurance. Obamacare completely forced insurance companies out of some states...to the point where some people have little or no choice at all.

I don't think the moderators would want us to get off too deeply into non-automotive-ralated topics here, though. (we have a Debate forum for that).
Old 03-20-17, 05:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

looking back at some early posts here... so we can move on from politics (and healthcare)...

the standard says makers must have 54mpg on AVERAGE by 2025. that seems absurd to me, but i have no problem with INCENTIVES for selling more efficient vehicles, especially if combined with a determined effort for the u.s. to become energy independent, specifically reducing our dependence on the middle east and other hotspots to zero.

Originally Posted by bagwell
54 MPG is unattainable unless every car sold is a Prius.
Originally Posted by geko29
Even the current Prius isn't good enough. Its combined mpg is 52. So the AVERAGE vehicle (trucks included) in 8 years would otherwise have to be BETTER than the current, all-new for 2016 Prius.
yup, ridiculous.

Originally Posted by swajames
nothing drives innovation like challenging targets and more to the point efficiency and performance aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. It may well make sense to set lower targets, but there's nothing necessarily wrong in setting the bar reasonably high and challenging manufacturers to meet goals that aren't always easy to meet.
except those 'challenging high bars' actually cost consumers money too. the new sophisticated turbo, hybrid and other engines and transmissions have cost a fortune to develop. guess what, car makers have less money and interest in doing fun, limited volume products like coupes and sports cars.

with the rise of dozens of very similar cuvs and suvs now on the road, car makers have gone very safe and bland. and while suvs might seem an odd choice if makers are trying to be more fuel efficient, it's because the world has realized you can't hide lots of batteries in sedans or other small cars. but you can, pretty easily, in taller vehicles.
Old 03-20-17, 08:30 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except those 'challenging high bars' actually cost consumers money too. the new sophisticated turbo, hybrid and other engines and transmissions have cost a fortune to develop. guess what, car makers have less money and interest in doing fun, limited volume products like coupes and sports cars.
One thing that has not been mentioned is that innovation can be a net creator of jobs, and of high-value, solid middle-class engineering jobs. All levels of government, especially local (municipal) and state/provincial governments are doing what they can to try to attract these high-value jobs.

Yes, innovation costs money, but that money spent is an investment rather than an expense, especially if you are creating the innovative new products rather than buying ready-made products from elsewhere. Why do you think there are so many local governments trying to attract autonomous driving research and testing?
Old 03-20-17, 08:45 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

with the rise of dozens of very similar cuvs and suvs now on the road, car makers have gone very safe and bland. and while suvs might seem an odd choice if makers are trying to be more fuel efficient, it's because the world has realized you can't hide lots of batteries in sedans or other small cars. but you can, pretty easily, in taller vehicles.
Fair points, but I'd counter that once those advanced engines, lightweight materials and sophisticated chassis designs become more mainstream, the cost will inevitably drop. Non-US automakers aren't standing still, particularly in Germany, and they are highly likely to follow a path of greater efficiency and lighter weight regardless of whether they are required to because of CAFE - because they are subject to EU efficiency targets and, more importantly, comsumer demand for more efficient vehicles. New technology isn't cheap to develop, but those that invest stand the greatest chance of reaping future rewards. As an example, I'm driving a car right now that cost Toyota way more to build than they can sell it for, and I attended a Honda fuel cell event just yesterday where they mentioned that the reason the prior gen Honda FCX came with free insurance was because the actual replacement cost was so high.

My main point is that real innovation will happen when challenging goals are set and expected to be met. Letting US automakers off the hook is almost certain, in my view, to result in frankly mediocre future product that will fall behind those designed and produced elsewhere. I'd argue the US manufacturers should be embracing this challenge as much as fearing it. It's in their and our best interests for them to do so. I always expected the 2025 or so target to be relaxed, but to do so now will stifle innovation and encourage lazy phoned-in cars with big inefficient engines to overcome weight due to cheap construction.

As I said before, holding their feet to the fire for a long as possible is a good thing. It's what enthusiasts should be demanding.

Last edited by swajames; 03-20-17 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
One thing that has not been mentioned is that innovation can be a net creator of jobs, and of high-value, solid middle-class engineering jobs. All levels of government, especially local (municipal) and state/provincial governments are doing what they can to try to attract these high-value jobs.

Yes, innovation costs money, but that money spent is an investment rather than an expense, especially if you are creating the innovative new products rather than buying ready-made products from elsewhere. Why do you think there are so many local governments trying to attract autonomous driving research and testing?
there's a difference between 'forced innovation' to meet government mandates (that is, the companies have no choice, or go out of business), vs. uncoerced innovation like autonomous cars, which government certainly never asked for. the latter delivers real economic value. air bags for example, while saving some lives, add no economic value. not denying safety is a net good thing, but dramatically upping the CAFE standards 'because they can' is forcing vast 'investments' (i disagree with your characterizations since the companies have no choice) into getting ever higher economies out of complex combinations of combustion, batteries, motors, etc.

Non-US automakers aren't standing still, particularly in Germany, and they are highly likely to follow a path of greater efficiency and lighter weight regardless of whether they are required to because of CAFE - because they are subject to EU efficiency targets and, more importantly, comsumer demand for more efficient vehicles.
consumer demand in europe is due to the other of the 1-2 punch, the vast taxes on fuel (and all energy) there. governments hold the only true monopoly power.

New technology isn't cheap to develop, but those that invest stand the greatest chance of reaping future rewards.
yeah the reward is not being forced out of business or losing a lot of market share at least.

As an example, I'm driving a car right now that cost Toyota way more to build than they can sell it for
what toyota is that? if a hybrid, toyota presumably now makes a profit on those after all these years (?).

edit: i see you're driving a mirai. again, toyota and others MUST make experimental cars and get feedback because they have no choice.

Letting US automakers off the hook is almost certain, in my view, to result in frankly mediocre future product that will fall behind those designed and produced elsewhere.
all that happened was trump is 'allowing' a mid-term EPA review of standards - he didn't cancel anything.

I'd argue the US manufacturers should be embracing this challenge as much as fearing it.
with gm's bolt, they may really be onto something so you could be right - the results are not really predictable, but i resent a heavy hand of govt, making standards they have no clue at all how they can be met.

I always expected the 2025 or so target to be relaxed, but to do so now will stifle innovation and encourage lazy phoned-in cars with big inefficient engines to overcome weight due to cheap construction.
that's quite the hyperbole.
Old 03-20-17, 11:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

Good discussion and good points

i do think I'm right about the phoned-in vehicles though. We all benefit if cars get lighter and more efficient (while maintaining safety) and for all its flaws the CAFE target was/is one way of getting there. Something has to drive innovation and market forces alone may not be enough while fuel is cheap. That fuel won't last forever, though, and at some point gas is inevitably going to increase in price....

we've got to set a high bar, easy goals aren't worth setting, but I also recognize that we've also got to reward efforts to get as close to that bar as is reasonably possible.
Old 03-20-17, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We all benefit if cars get lighter and more efficient (while maintaining safety)
That's one of the problems, thoughs....and all you have to do is consult Physics 101. All else equal, it can be difficult to maintain crashworthiness as vehicles get lighter. Yes, safety-equipment helps, as with good design and up-to-date features, but the scientific fact is that lighter vehicles have less kinetic energy in a crash, and are more likely to be severely damaged, particularly in collisions with larger, heavier vehicles. I don't care what kind of advanced Mercedes-designed "safety" roll cage a Smart-for-Two may have......run one head-on into a Chevy Suburban and watch what happens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-17 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Trump talking about reviewing/rolling back 54.4 mpg fuel economy regulations