Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Audi RS5

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 01:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Audi RS5

all-new RS 5 Coupe uses the same Porsche-engineered biturbo V6 as the Porsche Panamera, and uses it to such effect that it extracts 444 horsepower and 443 pound feet of torque from its 2.9 liters of displacement. Those 443 lb-ft is a full 125 more than the V8 could ever muster, and it's available from 1,900 rpm to 5,000 rpm. That kind of power is sufficient to push the RS 5 to 62 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds on the way to a limited 155-mph top speed (there's an optional 174-mph limiter, too).

The all-wheel-drive Quattro RS 5 Coupe doesn't suffer much in performance in the switch from the naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 to the force feeding of a V6, but it remains to be proven whether the sound can be as captivating.

The Porsche-sourced engine continues the current trend of "hot vee" engines, situating both of its turbochargers inside the vee-angle of the engine, and combines centrally-mounted direct fuel injectors with a short stroke to boost power and improve economy. The high-compression Miller-cycle motor also lets the RS 5 Coupe pull its consumption down 17 percent to 32 miles per gallon (or 197 grams/km of CO2 emissions) on the European driving cycle. Expect US mileage numbers to be significantly lower.

The new RS 5 is also significantly lighter, pulling 132 pounds from the previous V8-powered model's mass, despite all the turbo plumbing, to weigh 3,649 pounds. A BMW M4-style carbon-fiber roof helps keep the weight down.

Audi feeds its newfound V6 power through an eight-speed automatic transmission and permanent all-wheel drive, with 60 percent of the drive nominally headed to the rear end. The hard-turning sport differential is an option.

Audi's reborn RS 5 rides on five-link suspension systems at both ends to keep suspension bits precisely location and improve ride quality, while sitting 0.8 inches lower than the standard A5 Coupe. It has the usual Audi Sport array of go-faster options for its go-fastest front-engined coupe, including the more aggressive Dynamic Ride Control damping system, carbon-ceramic brakes and sharper steering ratios.

"The new Audi RS 5 Coupé is the gran turismo among the RS models," Audi Sport GmbH CEO Stephan Winkelmann said. "The high-performance Coupé combines elegant aesthetics with high everyday usability. The car's V6 biturbo has been developed from the ground up and provides significantly more performance coupled with higher efficiency," he said.

Winkelmann claims Audi's designers drew their inspiration from the wild and wicked 90 quattro IMSA GTO racers that dominated US racing circuits in the post-Group B era. At 186 inches, it's 3 inches longer than the outgoing RS 5, with its bulging wheel arches pushed out more than half an inch compared to the standard S5 Coupe's bodyshell. It has a wider, flatter single-frame grille than the standard models, along with enormous air intakes for radiator and brake-system cooling. There are also tinted bezels for the LED (and optional Matrix LED) headlights, while the car rides on 19- or 20-inch forged alloy rims and punches its emissions out of unique oval tailpipes.

Inside, the RS 5 Coupe continues the Audi Sport (nee Quattro GmbH) love affair with black and diamond stitching. It introduces new bits to the A5/S5 Coupe's cabin, including an upgrade to the Virtual Cockpit digital instrument cluster to include feedback on torque, g-forces and tire pressures. It also boasts a dash-mounted shift light, which seems redundant given that it slushes through an automatic transmission. The interior delivers permanent internet connectivity via LTE and a wifi hotspot option, and links smartphones via CarPlay and Android Auto.
Source
Old 03-07-17, 02:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Huge disappointment in looks and powertrain compared to outgoing RS5.

Also surprised at lack of DCT.
Old 03-07-17, 09:11 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the run of the mill Audi sedan. Hardly compares to the impact the first RS5 made imo.
Old 03-07-17, 09:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Absolutely spectacular all around! Audi is the only brand creating cars that exude restraint, class, elegance, sportiness, and maturity. The only let down here are the silly mini nostrils the company seem to be including on all their recent R cars. Totally unnecessary among the clean lines up front.
Old 03-08-17, 05:55 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

That hood makes me uncomfortable for some reason. They also got rid of the active wing in the back. Overall, I am not impressed with the design in the pics. But maybe seeing it in person would sway me differently? The weight is impressive and together with Quattro and that Porsche power train, it will be a beast.
Old 03-08-17, 06:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

love it....

Old 03-08-17, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the restraint comment pertaining to its looks. I prefer this RS5 over slightly more boy racerish M4 in that regard. The C 63 AMG always looks like its in a suit. ATS V is unique but brash, sort of beauty and beast. The RC F is one of my favorite cars because of the motor, however I do believe it is the ugly duckling of the 5. If the RC and RC F ever adopt LC styling.. game over.

Old 03-08-17, 12:30 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't wow in looks but that has been Audi as of late. Like the advancement in moving to TTV6. Maybe it'll grow on me but I'd pick up one of the other performance coupes over it for sure.
Old 03-08-17, 12:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the specs. I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive, but the styling doesn't stir any emotions in me at all. More of a "sleeper" look, if you will. I can appreciate it, I just don't love it.
Old 03-08-17, 12:37 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I like the specs. I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive, but the styling doesn't stir any emotions in me at all. More of a "sleeper" look, if you will. I can appreciate it, I just don't love it.
My thoughts as well. Almost gave it the look of a S5 (not too wild but better than base)
Old 03-08-17, 01:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ever since audi went with inward sloping headlights, the face has looked Korean.

if you stuck a hyundai badge on the front, it would fit right in.

then again, the old rs5 face looked dumpy as well...

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the restraint comment pertaining to its looks. I prefer this RS5 over slightly more boy racerish M4 in that regard. The C 63 AMG always looks like its in a suit. ATS V is unique but brash, sort of beauty and beast. The RC F is one of my favorite cars because of the motor, however I do believe it is the ugly duckling of the 5. If the RC and RC F ever adopt LC styling.. game over.

all the other cars look good because they have a face rather than a big gaping hole.

Last edited by pman6; 03-08-17 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 02:45 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
ever since audi went with inward sloping headlights, the face has looked Korean.

if you stuck a hyundai badge on the front, it would fit right in.

then again, the old rs5 face looked dumpy as well...

all the other cars look good because they have a face rather than a big gaping hole.
I think its a shame that you were able to cosmetically alter the front end, add a Hyundai logo and it doesn't look out of place.
So, I guess this is good for Hyundai...
Old 03-08-17, 09:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, flattering to Hyundai!
Old 03-08-17, 09:48 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I nornally stay away from these "looks like this look like that" type of comparison, but since the audi grill went more hexagonal looking, I noticed it looks very close to the sonata (and this was 2015).

It does look more aggressive looking than the old model.

Old 03-09-17, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I nornally stay away from these "looks like this look like that" type of comparison, but since the audi grill went more hexagonal looking, I noticed it looks very close to the sonata (and this was 2015).

It does look more aggressive looking than the old model.
Ford is also getting into larger hexagonal grilles. Note the new upcoming Ecosport

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi RS5